GD
Posted By
Grant_Dixon
Jan 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Tonight I went off to see a lecture-display by a graphic artists who is specializing in montages. I went expecting to see the usual sort of run of the mill Photoshop work but was greeted with a display of images that for the most part were based on apocalyptical themes and they were magnificent. Laurence Acland Is a retires freelance photographer who has decided to put his talents into questioning his religious views. None of his work was proselytizing but it is all thought provoking. The great joy is that he was willing to share ever detail of how he puts these images together. All I can say is that his present work is stunning. For those that would like to have a look there is his URL. I am almost sorry to share it because while the images on the site are outstanding they don’t even come close to the real thing.

http://www.acland-photo.com/

Grant

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
nytrashman7618
Jan 21, 2004
outstanding…………..
PD
Pete_D
Jan 21, 2004
Grant,

That is a very interesting collection and reflects a high level of skill and artistic ability.

Did you suggest to Lawrence that he join the weekly challenge?

Pete
PC
Pat_Coggin
Jan 21, 2004
Perhaps collages might be a Challenge some day…..those are excellent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 21, 2004
I really want to see this but the page wont load for me…I’ve tried three times in the past few hours….all i get is the first page…partially and I get the exclamation icon in bottom left corner with ‘ error on page ‘.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 21, 2004
Did you ask him where he got his plug ins from?

Robert
B
bethC
Jan 21, 2004
The website is done with Adobe Go-Live. Jodi try entering here: <http://www.acland-photo.com/collages/index.htm>
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 21, 2004
Wonderful pictures! Yes, I hope he does join us here.
My 3 favourites are picture 23, 36, and 47.

I see several plug ins that I am right in the middle of a class in. Xenofex and EyeCandy.

Thanks muchly for posting his web site, its real inspiration! I just started a GoLive 6 class, great program, like all Adobe stuff. Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 21, 2004
beth thanks…it worked ! The man is amazing ! …perhaps a little disturbed…but aren’t we all ? ……… capturing reality of senses…he is a genious no doubt. Reminds me of how much I really need focus in my life.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 21, 2004
Jodi,

All I can say is that a warped mind is a joy forever.
🙂
Robert
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 21, 2004
wrote in message
Did you ask him where he got his plug ins from?

Robert

Laurence Acland did talk about plug ins and while he uses a filter called buzz he uses it very sparingly. The effect he achieves with this filter is so subtle that you barely see it on the screen but it does have a slightly more pronounced impact on the printed page. Laurence did say that while he can almost achieve the same effects using the stand alone Photoshop it was just not as convenient.

http://www.fo2pix.com/main.php

I should point out that Laurence uses the full version of Photoshop. With one exception we can achieve every thing that he does and still use Elements. The main advantage of using Photoshop was in the convenience. "Actions" made repeatable procedures extremely easy and some of the things he did would require in Elements free plug-ins or work around tricks. While we many have to slow down a bit in Elements none of these would be a big problem. The one trick that I am not sure how you would achieve it with Elements had to do with his resizing. He started out with files about 15 meg and up sized them to 50 meg and then applied a sharpening that requited an alpha level. This was a really cool trick that minimized halation.

On a bit of a side track his 11" x 17" images were printed using and Epson 2200 and water colour paper. While he may loose a bit on the longevity of the images he more than made up for in the texture. These images ceased to be photographs and started to be works of art. His larger images were printed in the same manner but using a Roland.

While I have emphasized his technique what really impressed me was his ideas and how he worked with them. I feel it is safe to say that it was not the tools but his ideas that made his work speak to me.

Grant
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 21, 2004
Grant,

thank you for the explanation.
I have the feeling he started each image with film rather than digital. Would you confirm that?

Robert
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 21, 2004
Robert

Laurence Acland for the most part avoided talking about specific products but here is what was revealed over the whole evening.

He mainly used film but digital has been creeping into his images more and more. In the studio he uses 2 1/4 and 4×5 cameras with controlled lighting. In the field he uses 35 mm and this is where the digital is taking a more active role. While he didn’t mention camera brands or styles that he was using you can guess from the size of his files it is a 6 Meg camera so that narrows the choices down. He only mentioned slide film. He does his own scanning.

He uses a MAC with an LCD monitor and a tablet. His printers were Epson 2200 and a large model Roland. Watercolour paper of 120 lb bond is his paper of choice.

He uses both Photoshop 7 and CS and on occasion Painter. The reason he used both version of Photoshop is that the plugs in that he uses are system dependent and until he gets and up dated version …. Laurence that there were some issues with CS on the MAC they were not critical.

Laurence said that the three main sources of inspiration. The first is his art is theme driven and that is his vision of apocalyptical interaction with a technological world. The second he requires long periods of time for the ideas to percolate. Finally it is musing and he claims he can’t create with out music playing.

Grant
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 22, 2004
Thank you Grant,

I had a feeling that technology was one of his things and the apocalypse another. I bet he listens to CD’s with waves crashing on a beach. 🙂
I particularly like the images where he has altered or adapted the existing portrait or landscape (for instance 30,22,57,59,52) I am less keen on the ones where he creates image over images inside separate frames as then perspective and depth do not line up properly. In fact in some it seems they are perpendicular to one another.

Nonetheless very intrigueing and invites you to stare and study the image for a long time.

Robert
ML
Marty_Landolt
Jan 23, 2004
GRANT, Again, thanks for sharing your finds with us and this was one I would like to have spent more time with.
Pat has a good idea for a challenge, Collage, but would it be under the regular Challenge or the Photo Challenge…hmmm
Marty

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections