T
Posted By
thokitts
Aug 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Well, I searched the forum and found I am not alone with this bug. But I see no solutions posted.

My problem:

Checking the "description" box in the print preview window inevitably crashes Photoshop CS while printing. Yet, checking the "label" checkbox causes no problem.

I assume the same font is used for both the "description" and "label" so it is seems there is no corrupted font involved.

I have tried:

repairing permissions (twice)
removed and reinstalled PS CS under "safe boot", including all known "pref" and helper files
removed all PS and 3-rd party plug-ins
reinstalled my system, user and adobe fonts
run FontDoctor on all fonts (They are fine)
discovered the file will print with "label" checked. discovered the file will print with nothing checked.
Built custom page size for my files only to see continued crashing.

I am out of ideas. Has anyone solved this issue?

Thanks in advance,

System:
Photoshop CS (v.8.0)
Powerbook G4
OS 10.3.5
768 Megs of RAM
Plenty of scratch disk
Canon i9100 printer (with current driver 2.3.2)

thokitts

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 17, 2004
Conflicting fonts perhaps?
Replace the System Helvetica.dfont with either the Type 1 or OTF equivalent.

(I do not have this problem.)
T
thokitts
Aug 17, 2004
Thank you, Anne, for your response.

This could be a corrupted font issue and I have indeed replaced the Helvetica.dfont in my System / library/ fonts folder with Helvetica type 1. But it still is crashing without exception when using the Descriptions box.

I have also tried:

Disabling Suitcase X1
removing:
User / fonts entirely
Library / fonts entirely
Adobe fonts entirely
removing adobeft.lst files with DeepSix
repairing permissions

….plus the things already listed in the first post.

Have you, or anyone else, got additional ideas to try? I’m stumped.

Does PS CS use Helvetica.dfont for printing the description? As I said earlier, the label checkbox (which seems to add the filename to the top of the image) works just fine. I would imagine it uses the same font source as the description checkbox.

I also considered my i9100 canon driver might be causing the problem but I crash when pdf’ing or previewing the image as well so I don’t think so.

Nice to know the feature is working for you. I wish it were for me. I liked the ability to do this in the past.

thokitts
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 18, 2004
More likely it’s looking for Geneva or Monaco (sometimes missing if you don’t have Classic installed).
T
thokitts
Aug 18, 2004
Chris, I appreciate your help.

I put both a copy of Geneva and Monaco (from my original classic folder) into the System/Library/font folder, launched PS CS, tried to print, and it still crashes.

Any more things to try?

TIA,

thokitts
T
thokitts
Aug 18, 2004
I am coming to the belief that I am either missing an essential system font or it is not in the correct location for PS to find. Does anyone know what fonts PS requires and where they are suppose to be kept?

TIA,

thokitts
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 19, 2004
Other than those I listed, no.

Do you have classic installed and working?
If so, that should provide all the fonts necessary.

Other than that, I don’t know what could be going wrong.
B
Buko
Aug 19, 2004
Bad RAM??
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 19, 2004
Buko – not likely.
T
thokitts
Aug 19, 2004
Thank you Bunko and Chris:

I have experienced bad RAM on other machines and this doesn’t seem to be likely the case.

The only unexpected quit I am experiencing with PS CS is when I try to print using the "description" checkbox. All other boxes seem to print fine. Infact, my other apps seem very stable, considering how hard I simultaneously push them.

I’ll try creating a new user account and see if the problem goes away.

I also have a replacement set of 10.3.4 on the way from Apple (my disk 1 is not working) and will do an archive and restore from 10.3.5 down to 10.3.4 on Friday.

Any other ideas?
T
thokitts
Aug 19, 2004
Curious…

Okay. Created a new user account. Launched PS CS, opened a file, checked "Description" box and experienced my usual unexpected quit while printing.

Logged back into my usual account. Open PS CS, opened a file, checked "Description" box, and printed without crashing!

Oh rats! I found I forgot to enter any text into the File Info pane.

So it seems if there is no text entered the File Info Description Pane and the description box is checked the file will print without crashing.

Does this imply PS CS is calling a missing or corrupted font but only doing so if there is text to print? Or am I just being distracted?

Arrrg! I hope tomorrow’s OS 10.3.4 archive and restore will fix this…

TIA

thokitts
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 19, 2004
Yeah, something is going south when trying to use text on the printed page. Which means something in QuickDraw is malfunctioning – which usually means a bad font, but could also mean a corrupt OS install.
T
thokitts
Aug 19, 2004
Then I can only hope that archive and restore will resolve this issue tomorrow. Assuming that PS CS is calling for a system font and not something else.

Thanks,

thokitts
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 19, 2004
I don’t think that will necessarily solve the problem if you have a damaged or conflicting font elsewhere on your computer.

Do a Search for "Font" and see how many folders you have which contain fonts!

And don’t trust Font Doctor: I have known it to actually damage fonts.
T
thokitts
Aug 19, 2004
I assume an archive/reinstall would replace all the existing system fonts with new copies in their default locations. Am I wrong about this?

Currently there are system fonts in:

library / fonts
system / library / fonts
system folder / fonts
Username (my account) / library/ fonts (which is empty because I use Suitcase X1) library / application support / adobe / fonts / reqrd / base

Then there are all my Suitcase-managed fonts in my Documents folder organized by alphabet.

And there are fonts placed in their respective folders by various application installs (i.e., inside the folders of Acrobat, GoLive, Illustrator CS, et. al)

It does get confusing, eh? <grin>

There are also font on the classic side of things but I don’t run classic anymore so I don’t believe them to be involved.

I do use Font Doctor but not often. What would you recommend instead?

TIA,

thokitts
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 20, 2004
I use FontAgent Pro which can check the health of all fonts before allowing them into its database. Any "bad" ones get shoved into a "Problem Fonts" folder.

(I happen to hate Suitcase!)

If you have Fontographer, you can often repair damaged or incomplete fonts.

Common bad fonts that I know about include early versions of: Eras, Optima, Palatino and Trade Gothic and also, surprisingly, quite recent versions of Times NewRoman MT.

Conflicts to watch out for include: Helvetica, Helvetica Neue and Times. I have replaced all .dfonts of those faces with either Type 1s or with OTFs of the same name.

Also check for, and remove, Microsoft TT fonts which conflict with Type 1s with the same name.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 20, 2004
Just so you know – we already have this logged as a bug against Photoshop. It doesn’t seem to happen to everyone, but we have been able to reproduce it. Now we’ll see if we can find the cause…..
T
thokitts
Aug 21, 2004
Chris: So are you a Photoshop tech guy? And do you mean that Adobe has been aware of this issue before I raised it? <grin>

In other words, should I spend any more of my personal time assuming this is a corrupt font issue specific to my machine or wait to see if Adobe folks determine it to be something to do with the version release?

You see, the description checkbox used to function on my set-up but I don’t remember if that was before I upgraded to OSX 10.3.5 and messed around with my fonts or not. It has been a while since I used the feature.

Anne:

I’ll look into the suggestions you have made over the weekend.

TIA again,

thokitts
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 21, 2004
No, I’m a Photoshop engineer.

We’re still not sure what causes it. You might solve it, and you might not.
R
Ram
Aug 21, 2004
thokitts,

Just click on Chris Cox’s name, or watch the splash screen credits next time you launch Photoshop. 🙂
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 21, 2004
I’m the king of pain!

Where’s my name?

Oh, – bathroom wall. I keep telling Jim to stop putting up in the mens restroom, but…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections