MM
Posted By
Michael McCarthy
Jan 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a minolta E3 8 megapixel digital camera. I want my final prints to be in black and white. I will be printing with an epson using archival inks on enhanced matte paper. I have a number of decision to make regarding how to select the final image for printing using adobe photoshop. The minimum image size will be 11X14. I even think that 20×24 or thereabouts might look good as well. I want the best quality possible in the final print of my images.

I assume the following: taking the image in color will provide a better image in the final print that taking the image initial using the monotone option of the camera.

My files are RGB and are about 24 megs.

Option 1: after adjustments of levels, color correction etc., I can convert to a grey scale image and use duotones in photoshop to add quality to the final print.

Option 2: After adjustments, I can create a monotone image in photoshop using the option inthe channel mixer.

The difference to me between the two is the size of the image. Option one gives a file size of 7-10 megs whereas option two retains the origina file size of about 24 megs.

My question: which option should I choose and more importantly, why?

Addendum: I assume that printing the image in color provides better image quality due to the fact that the midtones between black and white will reproduce better in color than in black and white.
thanks in advance,
Michael

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Jan 19, 2006
Michael,

I used to use a modified L channel for my B & W conversions until I discovered the first movie below,

http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/ColortoBW.mov
See also,
http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/PhotoTonerSM.mov

HTH
Mike H

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections