Posted By
Grant_Dixon
Jan 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 20, 2004
ya I just checked Symantec’s site this morning for the latest creepers and another e-mail subject other than ‘ Hi’ is ‘ I love You ‘ soooooo, as much as this sounds nice…don’t open it !

I LOVE YOU 🙂
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 20, 2004
wrote:
Please remember there are no free lunches so if you get an email saying "hi" and offer a calculator don’t open do it.

I was gonna use the calculator to add up all the other freebies that are on the way.

You ruined my day. No, my week!

Ed
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 21, 2004
I wonder who names these things?
LM
Lou_M
Jan 21, 2004
Virus? What’s that?

Oh, you guys must be using Windows. 😉
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 22, 2004
Lou,

Don’t gloat. It’s not nice. These are our friends here.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 22, 2004
Happy to say that Norton hasn’t caught anything since that nasty worm that made it’s ugly face appear for a good six weeks….ya’ll remember that ? i even made that GIF animation of the worm being squished by a hammer…ah ! I don’t miss that worm mail !
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 22, 2004
Yesterday, the worm caught my computer and then my AV caught the worm. Apart from that all seems pretty quiet here compared to the last worm attack.

Robert
LM
Lou_M
Jan 22, 2004
Mark,

Don’t worry, I can’t gloat too much. I have both Windows (2000, XP) and Mac computers. Luckily, though, I get my e-mail on my Mac.

Lou.
CR
Chris_Rankin
Jan 23, 2004
One of the few good things that can be said about AOL, very few viruses get through. Generally if someones says that they sent me an email and I didn’t get it it usually turns out that they were infected with some virus or worm and AOL’s filter caught it. Not 100% effective but combined with anti-virus and some common sense I haven’t made out too bad.

CR
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 23, 2004
Chris,
AOL’s Spam filter seems to be working better too. My daily spam is down to a half-dozen which I diligently report and block. AOL says if you do this, they will improve the filtering, and it seems to be working in my case. I don’t spend 3 minutes a day on Spam.
As for viruses, I don’t know if it’s AOL or my McAfee Virus Scan, but I haven’t had any infections in over a year. I’m careful what I open, though. And I keep the McAfee up to date.
It seems to me that there is no reason why spam and viruses should pose a big problem if you use the right tools and exercise some common sense.
Well…maybe a little luck would help too…
Bert
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 23, 2004
I get about 70 spam messages daily and, Jodi don’t be optimistic, Norton has caught several "Microsoft" messages again these days.
Looks like a revival.

Leen
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 23, 2004
We’ve never gotten those fake MS messages. I dunno if McAfee or AOL is filtering them out, or if they’re just missing us. Some people got hundreds a day…
Bert
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 24, 2004
Lucky you, Bert. At the peak I was probably seeing about 10 a day. Now it’s down to about 3 a week and all on the same server, which is very interesting to me.

You may not have had any email contacts who had there address books hi-jacked.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 24, 2004
Could be, DIck. Dunno…
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 24, 2004
nope, no phony microsoft worm mail here either…not since the last time..knock on wood.
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 24, 2004
Jodi, keep on knocking.
I’m getting the almost every day again since a few weeks. It does hibernate.;-)

Leen
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 25, 2004
Have had only the one worm since that last virus attack and since the new law on spam I hardly receive any of those either.

So it is all very quiet here. Let’s hope it stays that way.

Robert
PD
Pete_D
Jan 27, 2004
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) – Security experts warned on Monday (today the 26th) about a new virus outbreak that was spreading quickly across the Internet.

The new virus, dubbed MyDoom or Novarg, is a mass-mailing worm that arrives as an attachment with an .exe, .scr, .zip or .pif extension and can have a subject line of "test" or "status."

It mails itself out to addresses in the victim’s computer and is clogging mail servers and degrading network performance at companies, experts said.

"Mailboxes at large corporations are infected and reporting multiple infections throughout their entire organizations," said David Perry, global education director at Trend Micro.

The worm was discovered on Monday afternoon and spread so quickly that Trend Micro, Network Associates, Symantec and other anti-virus companies were rating it a "high" outbreak.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 27, 2004
I’ve gotten maybe 20 in last couple days.

Mac
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
none here yet.
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 27, 2004
Pete,

Got my first "Doom" this morning. My AV caught it.

Robert
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
av caught first one this morning here as well …grrrrr
LM
Lou_M
Jan 28, 2004
Here’s a very scary and eye-opening article. Highly recommended reading

Got a web cam? Then it’s a must-read!

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/35175.html>
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 28, 2004
Lou,
Read the article.
When they start copying macafee or Norton then is the time to really really worry. I Like the story where the hacker is correcting some ones typing error via the web cam. Something like that could give you a heart atttack.

Robert
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jan 28, 2004
Lou,

Very, very interesting article. Thanks a lot for posting !

Ray
LM
Lou_M
Jan 28, 2004
Robert & Raymond, I can see what you’re doing–better turn off your web cams. 😉
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jan 28, 2004
Lou,

You must be a super hacker! I don’t even have a web cam. 🙂

Robert
R
Ray
Jan 28, 2004
Well I do have a web cam, only it’s disconnected 😉
It’s an Intel WebCam that acts as a digital camera for stills and video. Quality isn’t exceptionnaly good, but when I had to use it, it did the job!

Ray

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections