JF
Posted By
Jodi_Frye
Jan 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Weirdest thing….I have been working on techtv’s ‘ The Screen Savers’ photoshop challenge over the past few days and came accross something interesting. I went to use the text tool and all the fonts were tiny …I mean way tiny. I had just deleted prefs yesterday because Elements was being too naughty so i knew that wasn’t it. Decided to check the image dimensions of their Photoshop challenge image and this is what i found;

pixel dimensions> w 500 X h 375

Doc size> w 71.421 X h 53.571 inches

resolution > 7 !!

Is that weird or what ? Now I’m pretty sure the images they use for the challenge are spycam stills so is this how the dimensions come out or what ?? The way to correct the problem was to change the preferences of type to pixels instead of points.

So, I wanted to post this just in case someone comes along complaining ’bout ‘tiny type’ in Elements…this may help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 20, 2004
Jodi: If you change the resolution with resample unchecked, the problem goes away, right? I guess fonts sizes in points are ‘inch-related’ not ‘pixel-related’….

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 20, 2004
I tried it on a small image and when I changed the resolution from 72 ppi to 7 ppi, a 14 point font wouldn’t even resolve – only spanned one pixel in height! Good find, Jodi….
JD
Juergen_D
Jan 20, 2004
Chuck and Patti,

I wonder if there is a connection between this and the problem Patti was having here:
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@137.FFSxbdUIWfq.0 @.2ccf6cf3/0

Juergen
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 20, 2004
Correct.
There are 72 (PostScript) points to a vertical inch.
(72.27 for "traditional" definition).

Hence, each point is 1/72 of an inch.

ErgoHence, a point size is directly relational to the inch size of the image itself, rather than the pixel size or ppi.

Mac
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 21, 2004
So Mac….I guess this represents a second instance (besides printing) where size (in inches) matters…
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 21, 2004
Is that a pixel in your pocket, or just glad to see me?
🙂

Mac
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 21, 2004
🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections