MS
Posted By
Mike_Sandman
Jan 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This sounds lunatic, but it’s happened with two laptops and it *appears* to be an Elements issue. My old Dell C-600 and my new Dell D-600, both running W2K. After Photoshop Elements is installed, the laptop would not go into standby mode and there was an error message saying there was a conflict with COM1.

If I disable COM1 *and* disable the internal modem, the laptop goes into standby mode properly. Since this has happened on both laptops after installing Elements, it seems like a problem with Elements, strange as it sounds. Or is it? Anyone with similar issues or a solution/workaround?

Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 20, 2004
That IS bizzare, I admit.
Is your modem seen as being on COM1?

Only long shot I can think of is make sure under Prefs/Adobe Online, check for updates is set to "never". Maybe it’s checking your modem port to see about going on line to check for updates and not giving the port status back or something weird.

Also, do search for AOM.exe on your HD. I don’t think Elements 2 loads that as did Elements 1, but if it’s on there, delete or rename it to AOM.old or somesuch). Long story on that little file.

Unfortunately, W2K doesn’t have msconfig.exe, or would suggest you look to see what exactly IS loading on startup that might be accessing COM1. You can download XP version of msconfig (and the help file) and it will work, btw.

Mac

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections