KL
Posted By
Kay_Lynn
Jan 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
That’s the journey I need to take, but I need your help to accomplish it.

Background: About three years ago I began to wonder what would happen to all of my hundreds and thousands of photos and transparencies (slides) that I had taken over the previous 60 or so years. Hoping that some of them would give pleasure to others, I began to learn how to digitize them by scanning them in my dedicated photo scanner (HP PhotoSmart S20) where I edited them, and then printed them (using the MS PictureIt program) with my HP 940C printer. I learned how to cut mats and mat the prints, as well as frame them, and make photo greeting cards.

I was able to place them on consignment in a local book shop as well as a couple of frame shops and galleries in nearby cities. The photo greeting cards sell reasonably well, although I’m not in the profit zone yet. I set up at a number of craft shows, but quickly learned this is not the best venue for art photos.

All the while, I kept studying online, with books, etc., about how to improve the quality of my work. Because of a great deal of soul-searching about longevity of prints, I purchased an Epson C80 which features archival ink. But this printer can only print up to 8×10 (matted and framed to 11×14). The nbext progression was to my Epson 2200 which is capable of printing uyp to 13×19, providing of course if my negatives are good enough.

Art shows are very expensive to set up at, but I have been fortunate to have been sort of "adopted" by a young woman who wants to feature her mother’s work and mine in several of them in the coming months. Confidence in the quality of my work was greatly boosted when one of my photos was accepted in a juried show (my first one attempted) for the month of December. My photo was one of 27 accepted from a total of 115 entries from 45 artists. I loved the theme of the show — "Sharing Our Vision."

Some of you helped me be able to install the PSE2 about a week ago; my PC needed more memory and it it also needed the vast number of fonts trimmed down. Since then I have read every user-to-user forum thread, and have gone back to the August 2003 threads and have come forward to learn as much as I can. Seems like the resolution question is going to be of prime importance in what I need to do in using PSE.

(Since this is getting so long, I think I will ask my direct questions in a following thread, which I may not be able to do until later this afternoon.)

Kay Lynn

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 19, 2004
Kay,

It sounds like you have learned and done such a lot in the last few of years … must be great to have had one of your photos accepted … bet you were really pleased 🙂

I found this forum to be one of the best ways to learn about Elements … I too read every message going back a long time. One of the other things I did was to collect any tips I read and put them into a little book … I still use it now !!

Wendy
KL
Kay_Lynn
Jan 20, 2004
Hi, Wendy —

Yes, it was great — such an uplifting feeling when my photo was accepted for that show. It helped validate that I am on the right track. And I certainly agree that the posters on this forum have a lot of information that they willingly share with PSE beginners like me. I know I will learn a great deal from all of you.

Kay

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections