PP
Posted By
Phil_Pugh
Jan 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I received a copy of Photoshop Elements with my Nikon E4300 – not sure of the Version but camera was purchased about one year ago. I like it a lot. I originally installed it on a Win ME system – no problems at all. I moved it to my Win2K SP3 system and I have one very annoying problem. Every time I open the Colour Cast tool it only partly loads. I can apply colour cast corrections but I cannot save them as it doesn’t allow me to select any menu items – they are all greyed out. I have to kill the program using Task manager which looses my edits of course. I seem to recall that under Win ME another window popped into existance – it’s doesn’t on Win 2K.

I have tried re-installing several times – but always the same result. It’s very frustrating as I do quite a bit of indoor flash photography and it’s a wonderful tool for removing the inevitable cast from coloured surfaces in the room.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Phil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BB
brent_bertram
Jan 19, 2004
The first thing to do is kind of a universal panacea, delete the Preferences file on startup of Elements and then it will reconstruct itself. It is not uncommon for the Prefs file to become corrupted.
Here’s a link . Reset Photoshop Prefs ! <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.ef4a07f>

If you haven’t already downloaded and installed the IgnoreEXIF utility, you might also do that. That may be where your color cast is coming from .

🙂

Brent
PP
Phil_Pugh
Jan 20, 2004
Many thanks – that did the trick!

Weird effect to cause such a problem by a corrupt preferences file.

Phil
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 20, 2004
There’s no end to weird when the Prefs file goes squirelly ! <G>

🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 20, 2004
speaking of prefs….Elements and I usually have an understanding…after many hours the tools start doing weird things…basically just not co-operating. Generally all i have to do is close Elements and re-open it again and all is fine….yes i trick the little bastard but ssshhhhh, don’t tell him. I am terrible about deleting prefs….i hate having to reset all my settings if I use this options….and I lose my most ‘recent’ files from the menu ( which means i really have to pay attention to where they are if I plan to delete prefs 😉 ) and have to reset everything else back the way i want it. So anyways, perhaps it’s just a PE1 things but sometimes just closing and re-opening the program takes care of problems. Try it, you might like it 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections