S
Posted By
Sandy
Aug 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Stay out of the decision. Let the artists choose. Seems their choices are Epson or Canon. They’ll figure it out.

"Coban" wrote in message
My art department needs a new printer, I’m the IT guy and graphics is not
my
strong point.

Can Photoshop 7 and/or Illustrator 10 take advantage of Epson’s 6 and 7 color printers?

We need a printer for graphical presentations of artwork. In an ideal
world
I’d like to match Pantone colors on a printout, but in reality I need
colors
to match as well as possible and I need to be able to show the weave in a fabric.

Is an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 overkill? What about the 1280?
Printing speed is an issue as well…. what printer would you suggest? Programming a router is easier than finding a printer for an artist. Thanks, Ari

Kill the HATES-SPAM to reply.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JC
J C
Aug 26, 2003
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:25:54 -0400, "Coban"
wrote:

Can Photoshop 7 and/or Illustrator 10 take advantage of Epson’s 6 and 7 color printers?

Yes. Any application can take advantage of the colors, but photos take the best advantage of it. With the models listed below, prepare to spend A LOT on ink cartridges. If you look on Epson’s site at the specs for the 2200 you see that a color cartridge lasts for 440 pages at 5% coverage (but when you do the math at 100% ink coverage you’d get 22 pages or thereabouts)

Is an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 overkill? What about the 1280?

When it comes to a printer for an art department I’m not sure there’s any such thing as overkill. But you should be aware that the models above are not exactly for high volume environments. If you’re looking for something for high volume that must work well networked and if you have a larger budget, then you might want to look at the color laser printers from Xerox.

Printing speed is an issue as well…. what printer would you suggest?

Printing speed is always an issue if you’re looking for high quality color and/or photo quality reproduction. That 2200 model says it prints an 8 x 10 photo on gloss paper in just under 4 minutes. But I think you’ll find that graphics from some applications will print slower (and if the artist tries to send a full page at 1400 dpi, then it will be really slow).

Programming a router is easier than finding a printer for an artist.

The opposite is true when you ask a graphic artist to program a router.

— JC
TW
Tim Wenzl
Aug 26, 2003
J C wrote:

wrote:

Yes. Any application can take advantage of the colors, but photos take the best advantage of it. With the models listed below, prepare to spend A LOT on ink cartridges. If you look on Epson’s site at the specs for the 2200 you see that a color cartridge lasts for 440 pages at 5% coverage (but when you do the math at 100% ink coverage you’d get 22 pages or thereabouts)

They shouldn’t even use the "5% coverage" thing when it comes to color printers. After all, doesn’t 5% coverage refer to double-spaced text? Really, now: folks don’t tend to buy color printers primarily for text!

Okay, many people buy one printer to perform all of their printing needs. When they compare sample pages between printers, they sure as heck don’t pay as much attention to text as they do pictures. Assuming, of course, that the samples have any text on ’em at all.

Tim
C
Coban
Aug 26, 2003
I saw that it said 4 minutes but I was hoping that for the artwork we were doing it wouldn’t take quite as long. We don’t deal with skin tones and she won’t be doing any glossy 8×10’s… but she does need good color representation for fabrics and textiles with images consuming 1/3 to 1/4 coverage.
As for the speed issue… does it lock up her computer preventing her from working? I don’t mind a slow printer as long as it doesn’t cause performance problems on the PC side.

Thanks again, Ari

"Tim Wenzl" wrote in message
J C wrote:

wrote:

They shouldn’t even use the "5% coverage" thing when it comes to color printers. After all, doesn’t 5% coverage refer to double-spaced text? Really, now: folks don’t tend to buy color printers primarily for text!
Okay, many people buy one printer to perform all of their printing needs. When they compare sample pages between printers, they sure as heck don’t pay as much attention to text as they do pictures. Assuming, of course, that the samples have any text on ’em at all.
Tim

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections