Is there any way to make a photoshop file bigger than 75 inches wide?

AA
Posted By
amanda_a_mccorkle
Aug 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
am working on large wall size files for a client and need to make a file 80 inches wide at 400 dpi. the limit is 75 inches at 400 dpi. is there a plug-in i can use/purchase that gives me the ability to make larger files like this? i need info asap. thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Aug 12, 2004
Short answer: Not in Photoshop 7.0.1. It has an absolute limit of 30,000 pixels in any one direction (height x width). Additionally, maximum file size cannot exceed 2GB.

Photoshop 8 ("CS") has a limit of 300,000 pixels in any one direction. No file size limit.

No plug-in can alter those limits. Upgrade.
JS
John_Slate
Aug 12, 2004
How is this to be printed?

Chances are you don’t need that much resolution.
AA
amanda_a_mccorkle
Aug 12, 2004
Yes, I need this much resolution because the files will be enlarged 4x the 80" file.
AA
amanda_a_mccorkle
Aug 12, 2004
Thanks so much for that info! it was very helpful (i did not know there was a file size limit of 2GB…which will most likely also be an issue with this file). i will upgrade…thanks again!
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2004
You’re welcome, Amanda.

Watch out for that file size limit, once you reach it, you will NOT be able to save the file at all!
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 13, 2004
About the resolution….

Most murals do NOT require high resolution, because they are not viewed from normal reading distance. Even if these files were to be made into wallpaper for the reception area of an office, you don’t need it. And if the images are photo enlargements, you certainly would find that the film (or digital camera) resolution is far coarser, softer, and grainier/noiser than your print resolution. Without more information on the mural environment and use, I’d say that 400ppi is overkill.

Neil
G
graffiti
Aug 13, 2004
400ppi is overkill.

Unless you’re enlarging it 4x.
R
Ram
Aug 13, 2004
Which is exactly what Amanda said in post # 3.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 13, 2004
But I’m wondering what print driver will accept the .PCB files of PSCS with big files support checked in the preferences… A RIP, maybe?

Isn’t there another solution: cutting the design in stripes and assembling in InDesign?
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 13, 2004
Well, if the 80"/400 ppi file is to be enlarged 4x to 320" (netting 100 ppi), I still think it is overkill. You could probably get away with a fraction of that resolution for such a large mural. But we still don’t have a clear understanding of what kind of installation this will be or viewing distance. I do like Pierre’s suggestion of tiling the image if that kind of resolution is required. But, as I said, if this is from a photographic source (film or digital), no matter how big the original shot, anomalies (grain, noise, lens resolution and aberrations) of the process will overwhelm and nullify the benefits of a very fine ppi when printing. We need more information.

Neil
RW
Rene_Walling
Aug 13, 2004
But I’m wondering what print driver will accept the .PCB files of PSCS with big files support checked in the preferences… A RIP, maybe?

I know from experience that the software driving Durst Lambdas will accept TIFF over 30 000 pixels in size (there is still a 4Gb limit AFAIK) it will however generate much larger .ppm file (its internal format) so you could send a very large LZW compressed TIFF to it.
JS
John_Slate
Aug 14, 2004
I think the main thing you can do with a truly massive .PSB is revel in the fact tha you have made one. And that’s it. I mean how would you get it anywhere other than the hard drive you made it on, much less print it?
RB
Richard_BRackin
Aug 16, 2004
When you have 60+ layers on a 70-foot by 30-foot sign in Photoshop, the PSB file format is really handy to have around. The TIF spec. allows for a huge number of pixels, so when I’m done, I just flatten it out and save it to a tiff, then RIP it.

As far as sizing that image for a final rez of 100ppi.
You can go all day long at 72ppi and be fine nearly 100 percent of the time.

All the wall murals we print on our equipment (VuTek 23xx series) average between 50 and 72 ppi. Some can be viewed from an arm’s length away, while others are positioned where people can’t approach it from less than 25 feet away.

Using other printing methods may invoke the YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) response, but I really doubt it.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 17, 2004
As stated, high-rate ppi is rarely needed for murals.

Neil
SD
Sean_Devereux
Aug 17, 2004
I agree with Neil 100dpi is still overkill for this size, I have printed large format as low as 25dpi with good results.

Sean

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections