VD
Posted By
vernon_deuel
Aug 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
after i’ve chosen a tool, i cannot figure out how to get the select arrow back. help please.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Aug 11, 2004
Vernon,

Please stop using all caps.

cannot figure out how to get the select arrow back

Press the A key on your keyboard and see what happens. Is that the arrow you’re looking for?
VD
vernon_deuel
Aug 11, 2004
the Airbrush Tool comes up when i press A.

right now, when i open the program the default tool
is the eraser.
R
Ram
Aug 11, 2004
Then you need to reset (or trash) your Photoshop preferences.

What EXACT version of Photoshop and OS are you on?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 11, 2004
There is no select arrow per se. You can hold down Command, Option, Control, etc. to get some variations of whatever tools you are on.

I’m guessing you are using 5.5 or earlier?

A look through the manual is advised.
R
Ram
Aug 11, 2004
There is no select arrow per se.

Ed is right, that’s why I asked Vernon if what he was looking for is what normally gets selected with the A key in Photoshop 7.0.1 and 8 (which should NOT be the airbrush).

Vernon,

Just in case, I’m talking about hitting the A key by itself, NOT Command A.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 11, 2004
Wasn’t the "A" once the keyboard shortcut for the Airbrush in an ancient Photoshop in a distant galaxy — or was it "J"?

"A" is currently the shortcut for the Direct and Path Selection tools (Arrow-shaped icons!).

Shift Option P will get you the airbrush in CS — or click on the icon in the toolbar.
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2004
Well, Vernon never specified what version and he hasn’t come back. Maybe he’s busy reading the manual.
VD
vernon_deuel
Aug 12, 2004
have Photoshop 4 on OS9.1. my work has had this software but no one used it, a manual cannot be found. i am fairly new here and am trying to design a new website, of course i have to learn Dreamweaver!!!!! my background had been years in the vinyl sign industry using vectors, but i’ve had some experience with Corel Draw.
this is a great forum and i appreciate all of your help.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 12, 2004
Selections work quite differently in Photoshop than they do in a vector program, with the exception of Paths. You select pixels based on many criteria, rather than points or paths or shapes.

When you are on a tool you are on that tool until you switch. In most cases Command will give you the Move tool temporarily and spacebar will give you the hand.

The Help files contain most of the essential stuff that’s in the manual. As far as the shortcut commands for 4, you might find a list on the web. "A used to be Airbrush, long ago as Ann pointed out. Things have changed somewhat since then.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections