Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Performance question.
3.4 Ghz
2 Gig Ram
Ati 9800 Pro

I have a fast 10000RPM HD(System) and 2 Other regular 7200rpm drives. Is it better to place the PAGEFILE and the Photoshop CACHE onto my faster drive(System/Software drive)!! or is it better to place it on a Regular HD even though it is slower drive?

What is theoretically the best option?

Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PB
Paul_Budzik
Nov 10, 2005
Windows page file should be on C: 4096 – 4096
Photoshop Swap file goes on a second physical drive.
B
bmoag
Nov 10, 2005
The rule is that a swap drive should always be on a physically separate drive from the program drive to maximize performance.
Be daring.
Try it another way.
Technically if you can reserve a portion of your 10,000rpm drive for use as a swap file, creating a separate partition may or may not accomplish the same thing, you may see better performance than with a swap file on a slower separate hard drive.
Then you have to decide where the Windows swap file goes . . . There’s nothing like trying to see how things will work to see how things will work.
PB
Paul_Budzik
Nov 10, 2005
Zach,

Rumor has it that there won’t be any fix forthcoming.
P
Phosphor
Nov 10, 2005
Emphasis on "rumor".
PB
Paul_Budzik
Nov 10, 2005
The no fix statement has been repeated frequently and is one of the few that receives no rebuttal from Chris Cox et al. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please be specific.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 10, 2005
SMALL TEENY TINY ITTY BITTY PERCENTAGE of people have problems!

Well, now, dave, it’s the "SMALL TEENY TINY ITTY BITTY PERCENTAGE of people having problems" that led to many of the improvements at Tek when I was there. We really looked forward to the field engineers reports (well, those of us who had healthy egos) because our customers put the scopes through the wringer. We welcomed the feedback and did something about it that could in most cases be retrofit to all users if they wanted it. The fact that the "whiners" are here gives testimony to a certain admiration for the products themselves and a tenacious attitude wanting to see this through to a satisfactory conclusion. Not to mention the fact that we know Adobe can do it right and are not willing to settle for less.

So far as designing ahead to the next generation, if you don’t have the time to do it right, where are you going to find the time to do it over?

I want it right, not right now.
DM
Don_McCahill
Nov 10, 2005
It’s nice that they (Microsoft) publish a compatibility list. Perhaps there’s something to be learned from them. I guess that list is the result of extensive testing on all kinds of hardware.

Actually, that list is compatible software. It is not (could not be) exhaustive. Just the most common pieces of software that they test with the new OS and find that it works (and I bet by that, they mean it boots up … I can’t see them spending hours making sure every feature works.)

If you want Adobe to test every hardware combination, think what this means. All the video boards, all the video drivers, all the mouse drivers, all the printer drivers, all the other possible drivers and devices in every concieveable combination. The number would be in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions. And the day they finish, someone would come out with a new device or driver and there would be a few hundred more combinations to test.

I suspect (don’t know for sure) that Adobe uses their extensive beta program to try and find bugs. But the beta users will only have a few thousand different cominations of drivers, and there will always be some that are untested.

Of course, we could always go back to the 1960s model, where one company builds the hardware, builds the software, does the installation, and guarantees that everything will work together.
H
Ho
Nov 10, 2005
Rumor has it that there won’t be any fix forthcoming.

Patches? We don’ need no stinking patches…
I
ID._Awe
Nov 10, 2005
Don: Re "Actually, that list is compatible software", no it is actually first and foremost a hardware compatibility list (known as the HCL).
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Nov 10, 2005
IT is becasue of this thread and others like it I decided to create the "would you like to vote" Thread.

Even if things are not working becasue its "your machine" at least we can get a view of how many people are having a problem or not.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 10, 2005
An HCL is the ideal, as it avoids Don’s concerns. Your stuff not working? Check the HCL.

OTOH, I would want to know just what the failures involve. Are there issues with tolerances, etc?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections