Byron Gale
Jan 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was working through a tutorial meant to bring out details that are in shadow:

http://www.creativemac.com/2003/10_oct/tutorials/psdetails03 1021.htm

Granted the tutorial is written for PS7, but there is nothing in it but Levels and blending modes, so I thought I would be applicable to PSE.

However, I seem to get severely different results than those of the author.

One big difference is that his adjustment layers seem to automatically group with the previous layer. He does not describe grouping the layers, but his screen shots of his layers palette clearly show grouped layers.

The other, biggest, difference is the end result. Following the tutorial, I end up with a very dark image, overall — worse than what I started with, and plainly "messed up".

I don’t know if it is the case that these tools operate a bit differently in PS vs. PSE, or if there is an error in the process, or if the trouble is the nut behind the keyboard.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Byron

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
Byron, well the layers don’t group by themselves in PS so he probably assumed people would group them if they saw his screen shots. You are right, nothing in there that can’t be done with PE. All I can say is that it might depend on the image subject….or did you download the same pic for the tute ? I hate to say it but….when things aren’t right i tend to start over…just in case I missed a step. Perhaps someone else has done the tute will understand where the problem is.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 16, 2004
Byron Gale wrote:
I was working through a tutorial meant to bring out details that are in shadow:

http://www.creativemac.com/2003/10_oct/tutorials/psdetails03 1021.htm
Granted the tutorial is written for PS7, but there is nothing in it but Levels and blending modes, so I thought I would be applicable to PSE.

However, I seem to get severely different results than those of the author.

One big difference is that his adjustment layers seem to automatically group with the previous layer. He does not describe grouping the layers, but his screen shots of his layers palette clearly show grouped layers.

The other, biggest, difference is the end result. Following the tutorial, I end up with a very dark image, overall — worse than what I started with, and plainly "messed up".

I don’t know if it is the case that these tools operate a bit differently in PS vs. PSE, or if there is an error in the process, or if the trouble is the nut behind the keyboard.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Byron

Group the 2nd adjustment layer with previous.

Ed

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections