JS
Posted By
Jeff_Seal
Aug 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been shooting a number of different objects lately with my digital and have had mediocre results lifting objects from the background. I am wondering if there are any tips or tricks do doing this. Currently I have been shooting the object against a solid color back and trying to use the magic want to select the color and delete it, leaving the object. However, I find it does not render a good look. I’d love to hear from the pros.

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Aug 11, 2004
Have you tried the Extract feature in Photoshop?
JS
Jeff_Seal
Aug 11, 2004
LOL! Man, I need to put down FinalCut and spend a little quality time with PhotoShop again! Sorry and thanks for the heads up Ramøn. I’ll see what I can get done with this.
B
Buko
Aug 11, 2004
Pen tool.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 11, 2004
It is not a fully automatic process even when shot against a chroma background. You have to learn the work flow and do the detail work, whether you use PS Extract, Knockout 2 (my choice) or Mask Pro 3. Pick one and carefully step through the documentation.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 11, 2004
Apart from using LivePicture’s silhouetting (which is STILL the best!), try using Photoshop’s Extract in this way:

Duplicate the Layer and Extract on the Duplicate.
Cmd. click on the duplicate layer to load a Selection.
Use that selection to create a mask on the original layer. Retouch the mask as necessary.
Trash the Duplicate layer.

You can also do a similar thing if you use the Magic or Background Erasers on a duplicate layer.
F
frenchc
Aug 12, 2004
Ditto what Allen said. Be very careful with feathering, and use it as a last resort. It works OK, but can blow out edges too much. MaskPro 3 works really good in hair. I assume Knockout 2 is similar.
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2004
MaskPro 3 works really good in hair. I assume Knockout 2 is similar.

MUCH better, in my experience.
F
frenchc
Aug 12, 2004
Thanks Ramon, I’ll give it a try. I wish I could download a trial version. I’m going to check out LivePicture too.
JS
Jeff_Seal
Aug 12, 2004
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Since I only have PS I’ll make do with that. I’m finding that after clipping the object, it looks too stark but not as bad if I add a small outer glow and a shadow. This was an easier one. I have a string that is difficult but I see that this is more of an art built by experience than a simple answer.

Thanks All!
Jeff

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections