GD
Posted By
Gustavo_Del_Vechio
Nov 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I work in a photographic studio, and i need to buy a new monitor for me. I want to choose a monitor which i can work better with photos…
I´ve already had LCD, as had Tube too… In my opinion, LCD has a larger color gamut than CTRL Tube monitor, but, LCD according your vision angle, it looks like darken, and in front of me, the edges looks like darken than center… I think that when i send my works to lab, it does not get to print LCD color space because its gamut is smaller (i´m aware about it)
Discarding my opinion, which is the best choose???? The LCD monitor or the CRTL ones???

Thank´s… Owww, i´ve forgotten…. I do not have enought money to buy that " dreams monitor", that makes color calibration by itself, and until left child ren to school hahahaha. I want that common monitor…. nothing so professional

Thank´s
Gustavo Del Vechio

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Nov 9, 2005
Which ever way you go, get two of them, even reduce screen size if it means having two screens. (not much point unless you have a dual output graphics card though)
D
deebs
Nov 9, 2005
Or a good monitor with a pass thru facility
BO
Burton_Ogden
Nov 10, 2005
My next monitor will be a tube. I’m not sure an LCD is fully suitable for color management.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 10, 2005
With proper profiling software and a colorimeter designed to be LCD friendly, LCDs are definitely color manageable. You may not be able to buy a CRT if you wait too long.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 10, 2005
The CRT monitor is as archaic as the internal combustion engine.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 10, 2005

LMAO! I’d call you a wit, but I’d be only half right <grin>.

I went LCD around Dec last year. I would say that depending on what’s really important to you, you have to be either really, really knowlegeable about technologies and color management, OR… you have to do the best you can, and learn what you’d like in your next LCD monitor through your experience with the first one you buy.

Truthfully, I think that’s about the best you hope for, although what Michael says is true. Third party companies are finding a market in LCD calibration and as that matures, the chances of doing better are greater.

Peace,
Tony
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Nov 10, 2005
I have two workstations. Each has (pretty high end) CRT next to (very decent) LCD monitor connected side by side. All four monitors are calibrated and profiled. If I had to let two of them go it would be CRT on each workstation.

BTW: color accuracy is very important for me.

Decent quality LCD can be calibrated and provide accurate display. There is much less eye strain and headache. Display is sharper (especially with DVI capable card). Bottom line you have to try and see. Opinions are like you know what… everybody has one. 🙂
DM
Don_McCahill
Nov 10, 2005

Hmmm. So what is it powering 95%+ of all vehicles these days.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 10, 2005
That was rather the point Don.

Although the CRT will disappear sooner, since its life cycle is shorter.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Nov 10, 2005
I was under the impresion that the life cycle of a lcd was shorter, so thats wrong then?
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 10, 2005
I meant shorter than the motor car (engine).

LCDs certainly lose individual pixels after a few years but I think it’s getting better.
DM
Don_McCahill
Nov 10, 2005
John

With the repair bills on my car mounting, I’m not sure that the life cycle of the IC engine is shorter than the LCD. <grin>
GD
Gustavo_Del_Vechio
Nov 11, 2005
woon, that´s great. The discussion here looks like switching to new subject… car combustion??? hahahaha, i´m joking
I´ve read all the explanation you gave me about my question… and, read below and say me if i´m right:
The LCT tecnology is better than CRTL. With a LCD properly calibrated, it can be better tahn CRTL… but, I still have 1 question:
The color my lab get to print is next to the one than in I see in CTRL of that in LCD, and, in LCD, dependind my vision angle, i see a different color, darker or lighter. Am I Right???
Sooo, my head is spinning hahaha, the best choose for me is Tube or LCD????

Thanks,
GD
Gustavo_Del_Vechio
Nov 11, 2005
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Nov 11, 2005
You can get CRT’s at thrift shops between $5-$50. I picked up a 19" Optiquest Q91 for $5 at a St. Vincent dePaul shop.

Pretty much use an sRGB XYZ based profile built by an eyeball calibrator (SuperCal) and I’m close enough to accurately predict what my images will look on my local minilab which is all I want. No expensive calibration equipment to buy.

It also keeps these old diehard tubes out of the landfill for a couple more years.
B4
Bob 4
Nov 11, 2005
I used a high end analog LCD for 5 years and it held calibration with no problems.
Recently I switched to a high end DVI unit for greater screen area and was surprised
how much they have improved in those five years. Especially in sharpness. The
problems with ghosting on video or gaming in larger screens has been eliminated
with the new 8ms units. The prices are a third of what they were 5 years ago for a
better product.

wrote in message
I have two workstations. Each has (pretty high end) CRT next to (very decent) LCD monitor connected side by side. All four monitors are calibrated and profiled. If I had to let two of them go it would be CRT on each workstation.

BTW: color accuracy is very important for me.

Decent quality LCD can be calibrated and provide accurate display. There is much less eye strain and headache. Display is sharper (especially with DVI capable card). Bottom line you have to try and see. Opinions are like you know what. everybody has one. 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections