Posted By
surfmonkey89
Nov 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’m a newbie, so please take it easy on me…

I’m trying to use the image tools: clone stamp, healing brush, that whole section of the toolbar, and it appears that nothing I try take effect.

For example, when using the Clone tool:
– brush 45px
– hardness 25%
– mode lighten (also tried Normal)
– opacity 90%
– flow 100%
– airbrush abilities button enabled
– Aligned checked
– Sample all Layers unchecked

I Alt+Click to select and area, but when I try to paint nothing happens even though according to my history the actions are taking place.

Same goes for Healing Brush. I click on the area I want to heal and nothing happens.

Any ideas? I must be missing something really basic here. Let me know if you need any more info.

thanks in advance,
paul

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 7, 2005
Paul,

but when I try to paint nothing happens even though according to my history the actions are taking place.

Are you trying to do this on an ajustment layer, like levles or Hue/Sat? Or is it on an legit layer with image data in it?

Peace,
Tony
S
surfmonkey89
Nov 7, 2005
Sorry if that wasn’t clear. The first thing I ALWAYS do is a Create Layer Via Copy (Ctrl+L), and do my adjustments on that.

Make sense?
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 7, 2005
Yes, it makes sense. If you’re tools aren’t working on a layer with image data, the easiest thing to do is to reset your preferences per the procedure in the faq. That will set all tools and settings to their default. Then you can evaluate if it’s something else at play.

Also, note that certain tools and filters are only available in certain modes and depths. So, for simplicity sake, check to see that the image is in RGB or Grayscale mode, with 8 bit detph.
S
surfmonkey89
Nov 7, 2005
OK, I tried that but it didn’t help. A couple more pieces of information: – I’m in RGB mode, 8 bit depth
– Some of the brushes seem to work, but some don’t. For example, the "normal" brushes – the first ones in the list – don’t work, but the more funky ones (like #24, #60) work ok.

Sorry if I’m not being clear. Let me know if you need any more info.
P
Phosphor
Nov 7, 2005
You haven’t, by any chance, made a selection and then (CTRL + H)’ed the selection?

This little imp has struck dumb many a fine Photoshopper.
S
surfmonkey89
Nov 7, 2005
Phospor,

No, I didn’t. I have to admit I’m surprised no one has figured this out yet.

Literally all I do is open up the psd, select the clone tool, alt click and then try to paint and nothing happens. Alternatively I select the healing brush and nothing happens.

I wonder what the problem is. I thought I was missing something basic…

paul
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 7, 2005
Do you have a pen/stylus and tablet (e.g., Wacom)? They are often responsible for the mouse not working with some tools. The solution is to move the pen or stylus away from the tablet.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 7, 2005
OK, I tried that but it didn’t help.

Does that mean you actually reset your preferences? Did you do it with the keystroke combination and confirmation dialog?

Because if that’s the case, something is definately funky. I’d suggest you take a couple of screen shots so we can look at the screen and pop them up somewhere. Because if you’ve reset preferences, then all of your tools are reset to defaults. If it’s not working then, it’s either a setting, your image, or a funky input device like Michael suggests.

That’d be my 2 cents…

Peace,
Tony
S
surfmonkey89
Nov 7, 2005
WE HAVE A WINNER – the game ball goes to Michael Sullivan!!!!

I have a Wacom tablet, but I use the mouse and not the stylus (never have actually). When I use the stylus everything works perfectly.

Wow – that was an amazing diagnosis. I love the internets 🙂

Now I just have to figure out how to make it use the mouse instead of the stylus, but that should be easy enough.

Thanks A LOT for the help everyone.

paul
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 7, 2005
Just keep the stylus at a long distance from the tablet (in another room if necessary) and it won’t interfere with the mouse.

It wasn’t so amazing. There is at least one serious issue raised here every week that is solved by moving the pen away from the tablet.

Anyway, glad to have been of service! Come back and help answer questions, surfie!
S
surfmonkey89
Nov 7, 2005
That’s really weird – the fact that the stylus is sitting in my pencil holder was causing a problem? Actually, now that I’ve played with it a while I like it so maybe this was a good thing after all.

thanks again,
paul
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 7, 2005
Once you get used to the stylus you’ll wonder how you did without it.

Having said that, my preference is for a judicious mix of pen and mouse since, while everything can be done with the pen, some things are quicker and more accurate with the mouse.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections