PJ
Posted By
Peter_John_Martin
Nov 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have SC2 installed and it works OK, and so does Bridge but the Help Center doesn’t. To start with the Help Center screen appeared but would only display help about itself the I instructed Zone Alarm not to hinder it and lo and behold help on CS2 was available. However it then disappeared again and now I can’t even get the Help Center screen to appear. Having read through some of the threads on this forum I learned that version 1.1 was available and I have downloaded it but when I try to install it I get the error message ‘Adobe Help cannot start. Model sub-system returned this error: 1146’. Then there is a second message ‘the instruction at "0x00864a-4d" referenced memory at "0x00ea0b08". The memory could not be written.’

The software is properly registered and I am running Windows XP with SP2 which I know may have some influence on the situation although I can’t understand quite how. I have Zone Alarm and the Windows firewall in place and my default browser is the latest beta version of Firefox.

Can somebody put me back on the rails please?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 6, 2005
I can’t help you but I can verify that the Help Center works fine with Zone Alarm. I don’t have ZA set to remember the choice I make for AHC and so sometimes I allow, sometimes I deny its access to the internet. In both cases the AHC loads fine.

If you suspect ZA being an issue, in terms of settings, disable it for a minute to test AHC. If it launches fine, then you have to check your firewall settings. I doubt that’s it, but that will eliminate standard "get rid of your za" replies.

Peace,
Tony
PJ
Peter_John_Martin
Nov 7, 2005
Thanks Terry. I have done that and although I still have the problem Zone Alarm doesn’t seem to be the culprit.
PJ
Peter_John_Martin
Nov 7, 2005
Forgive me Tony …. wrong name.
PJ
Peter_John_Martin
Nov 7, 2005
I followed Len Hewitt’s advice to John Croxen (31 October) and deleted some files which solved the problem. Fingers crossed that it doesn’t disappear again. I have created a restore point so hopefully it will continue to work.

Thanks Len.
L
LenHewitt
Nov 7, 2005
Good to hear that fixed it for you, Peter.
QP
Q_Photo
Nov 8, 2005
It must be nice to be able use a restore point. I used to rely on “Go Back” for that. Unfortunately, I would then have to REactivate PSCS, because it said that my system had changed. I’m sure that Adobe is going to release a fix for that any day now…

Yeah, I know. OFF TOPIC.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections