RB
Posted By
Richard_Bublitz
Aug 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When opening PS CS, the startup goes rather smoothly, but reads preferences twice. The second reading takes approx 45 seconds. I’m on OS 10.3.3 using a G4 tower with over a gig of RAM. Has anyone else experienced this and came up with a solution?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Aug 7, 2004
Never seen that. Trash (or reset) your Photoshop preferences.

Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Finally, you should consider moving up to 10.3.4.
RB
Richard_Bublitz
Aug 7, 2004
Thanks for your response Ramón,

It’s been a while since I’ve upgraded, So I didn’t recall – I do have 10.3.4, and I do leave the machines running overnight.

I have installed and run both Macaroni and Cache Out X – I do repair permissions quite often. Still no fix. I’ve also looked for old preferences. I have downloaded Cocktail, but it doesn’t offer a demo mode, so I could not try it out.

I am waiting for the upgrade CD for DiskWarrior to work on fragmentation.

How does one RESET preferences?

Thanks, Richard
B
Buko
Aug 7, 2004
I am waiting for the upgrade CD for DiskWarrior to work on fragmentation.

fragmentation is not a problem in OSX.

Defragging your drives is a waste of time because the system constantly is defragmenting itself. Notice when you load an app the system is optimizing.
RB
Richard_Bublitz
Aug 7, 2004
then why, when I run a graph in Diskwarrior does it show 28% fragmentation?
B
Buko
Aug 7, 2004
Because you are running the old Diskwarrior for OS9 which does not understand the unix way of arranging data on the drive. if you were to run the OS9 defrag on the OSX system your system will slowdown and run like crap for a few days before it has a chance to reset itself. I’ve been running Panther since it was released and my fragmentation is about .01%. I have never defragged in that whole time. Yes I have software to check fragmentation and defrag if needs be. I have never had to.

sounds like you need to read up on OSX. try David Pogue’s missing manual.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 7, 2004
<< How does one RESET preferences? >>
Hold down the Shift Option Cmd. keys while launching Photoshop.

As far as I know, the current Cocktail download allows you to run it several times before you need to buy and register it. (It always did previously.)

Last time I looked, it cost six bucks so it shouldn’t exactly break the bank to buy it.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 7, 2004
That’s cutting into my lunch money.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 7, 2004
Isn’t Cocktail a reasonable replacement for Lunch?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 8, 2004
Depends on how long lunch is and how many cocktails.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 8, 2004
And whether you plan to do any more work in the afternoon?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 8, 2004
sushz.

I know plenty of people who work better after a liquid lunch.

not me.
RB
Richard_Bublitz
Aug 9, 2004
Well, after trashing the preferences, PS opened up quite nicely. However, after reloading my Actions… back to the snails pace. Therein lies the problem… too many actions loaded. Is it commonplace to only load actions when needed?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections