LH
Posted By
Linda_Hirsch
Nov 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the difference between these? I have a hard time noticing. Also, one one I think allows you to add multiple gradients, i.e., without discarding the first one you draw.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 4, 2005
None, if the foreground and background colors are black and white. Lots of difference if the foreground or background colors are changed.
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Nov 5, 2005
thats interesting Chris. So if you are working on a layer mask, there is no difference.

then what if you are working on a regular image? thanks.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 5, 2005
I think you missed the point.

To put it in simple terms:

When you select the Gradient Tool, the Options Bar at the top of the screen contains a drop-down menu for a thing called the Gradient Picker. This displays a set of various gradients included in the installation by default. Hovering over these with the cursor will give their description in a pop-up.

Two of these are:

1. "Foreground to Background" and

2. "Black, White".

If your Foreground and Background colours in the Toolbox (normally situated top left of the workspace) are set to black and white respectively then 1. and 2. above are identical in their content and in their effect.

If you have colours other than black and white selected in the Toolbox, then Gradient 1. will follow them. This is useful if, for example you want to pick up a colour in you image for use in a gradient.

You can also edit the other characteristics of a gradient by clicking on the gradient in the Options Bar preview, thus opening the Gradient Editor.
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Nov 6, 2005
thanks Josh, clarified that bit. On a related note, what was the setting or gradient that allowed you to make several swipes i.e., like 4 corners , for example — hope understood that.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 6, 2005
As far as I know you can only do this if one of the gradient colours is set to transparent; otherwise each new swipe obliterates the previous one. This applies to masks as well.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 6, 2005
Hint: I didn’t give this answer because I know a lot – I tried it for myself! 😉
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 6, 2005
I tried it for myself

No that’s unfair. You had Josh to try it for you! <g>
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 6, 2005
OK I admit it. But I don’t think Josh should get all the credit. (I don’t like him very much.) 😉
P
Phosphor
Nov 6, 2005
Hey Josh…

What, then, about the case of applying gradients over top of each other with the gradient blending mode set to "Difference" or some of the others? See Josh, you don’t know nuthin’!

—Posh
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 6, 2005
There you go!
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Nov 6, 2005
There´s also the different shapes of gradients. For example, you can use the dimaond shape to get four corners.
P
Phosphor
Nov 6, 2005
Linda should alrready know about the different gradient shapes, because she’s been diligently exploring and experimenting on her own.

Right, Linda?
JS
John_Slate
Nov 6, 2005
Knock if off Phosphor.

Otherwise, how will we ever get one of these <http://www.mentalhealth.com/award/p05-ask.html>?
P
Phosphor
Nov 6, 2005
They stole my idea, then softened it up to appease the whiners and the easily abraded.

🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections