AC
Posted By
Art Campbell
Nov 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I usually use Print With Preview to adjust options, and the soft proof is always way off, like 10-15% too magenta (and was always off in CS1 too).

I’m using a calibrated monitor and Epson’s ICC profiles, and the working monitor image and printed image match nicely. So I’ve just learned to ignore the soft proof. XP SP2 NVidia graphics card with the latest drivers.

Anyone have an idea why it’s off, and how to correct it (without breaking the working display and the matching printing)?

Thanks,
Art

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PF
Peter_Figen
Nov 4, 2005
Print w/Preview is just to see how your image will appear on the page. It is not color managed. You can see your soft proof by using Proof Setup and loading the appropriate output profile or when using Convert to Profile dialog box, which will also give a soft proof. If your soft proof is significantly off when using either of the above methods, you probably need a better profile or you might need to tune either the output table or proofing table in your profile. You would need a third party profile editor for that.
N
neon
Nov 5, 2005
Art Campbell wrote:

I usually use Print With Preview to adjust options, and the soft proof is always way off, like 10-15% too magenta (and was always off in CS1 too).

I’m using a calibrated monitor and Epson’s ICC profiles, and the working monitor image and printed image match nicely. So I’ve just learned to ignore the soft proof. XP SP2 NVidia graphics card with the latest drivers.

Anyone have an idea why it’s off, and how to correct it (without breaking the working display and the matching printing)?

Thanks,
Art
if by "soft proof" you mean the preview displayed in the "print with preview" dialog, don’t worry about it. many, if not all, epson printer drivers don’t honor any color profiles (not color managed) as peter said. when previewing. they simply show the location of the image on the printed page. and they very often look way too magenta. soft proof the image using view > soft proof before you attempt to print, then don’t worry if the print with preview display is off color. then, if the printed colors are not true, make sure the nozzles are not plugged. 1 tiny gap anywhere in the nozzle test pattern can make a huge difference in the output. and many epson printers are very prone to nozzle plugging, especially if only used sporadically.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections