RS
Posted By
Reinhard_Schaeck
Nov 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use a Canon 350D (also known as Rebel XT) and get CR2-files as raw pictures. As the Camera-Raw plugin has Photoshop CS as a prereqisite and I have only Photoshop 7, I can’t install it. Hence I thought to use the Adobe DGN converter which is indeed able to convert the CR2 files into DNG. But now my surprise: Photoshop 7 is not able to read these DNG files. As I’m a simple photo amateur I can’t afford to buy a PS update every year – but I assume that a software of that price (PS7) is still maintained for a while and as an Adobe product should be able to read a format created and promoted by Adobe. So my question: Do I have a chance to make PS7 work with DNG files?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 4, 2005
DNG was only a twinkle in Thomas Knoll’s eye when PS7 was born.

Can you not use the Canon Software to convert RAW to TIFF?
RS
Reinhard_Schaeck
Nov 4, 2005
Yes, I can avoid the use of DNG of course. But when I read the Adobe papers about DNG then I understand that this will be THE ONE AND ONLY format for raw data archiving for the next 50 years – and then I would expect that they support this format at least with their own software – even if it 2 years old. Do I expect too much?
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 4, 2005
even if it 2 years old. Do I expect too much?

Methinks you do! PS7 is three versions old now. The upgrade cycle tends to be around 18 months and we are now 7 months into CS2. If you bought PS7 2 years ago you must have only just missed the release of CS(1) and should have hassled Abode for a free upgrade (yes they do it for "near misses"!)

THE ONE AND ONLY format for raw data archiving for the next 50 years

Until such time you decide to upgrade to the latest Photoshop, there is nothing stopping you using the free DNG converter to archive your files in the meantime.

Best of luck with it.

Chris.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections