I
Posted By
ieee488
Jan 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a JPEG image which has a pattern in the background I like. I zoomed in, and the pattern is 32 x 8 pixels.
I want to copy that pattern to another file and create an image that is 10x as large with that pattern. How would I go about doing this?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 12, 2004
Maybe two ways. You could use your Marquee tool select out a square of the pattern go to edit>define pattern. Name and save it. You will be able to use it with the pattern stamp or the paint bucket. Your new pattern will show up at the end of the current pattern that is selected until you reopen your program. You don’t have control over resizing pattern that I know of unless you choose to make the pattern into a brush. Edit>define brush. Name and save it. Those are the only ways that I personally know how to replicate a pattern other than using the clone tool which I am certain from your description you don’t want to do.
I
ieee488
Jan 12, 2004
What I really wanted to do was keep the background pattern and remove the text that is in the JPEG file. Copying the pattern and duplicating it multiple times in a new image file was the best idea I can come up with.

Is there a better way?

Thanks.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 12, 2004
ieee488

There are a number of ways this is one.

1) Select the area you want and copy it using <ctrl>+C
2) go to Edit > Define Pattern
3) Save it with a recognizable name.
4) When you want to use it use Fill with Pattern and select the pattern you have saved

g.
NH
noel_hsu
Jan 12, 2004
You could also use the clone tool to duplicate the pattern over the text areas.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections