ML
Posted By
Mon Lumm
Jul 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop 7. When I tried to use the Cropping tool, the image was frozen and window was locked up. Would anyone help!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin Walls
Jul 31, 2003
Can you please describe exactly the sequence of steps. At what point did it "freeze"?
P
Phosphor
Jul 31, 2003
Windows was locked up?

Please read the FAQ.
ML
Mon Lumm
Aug 1, 2003
Hi Colin and Chris;
Thank you for your replies.
Here were the steps:
1. Photoshop 7 was turned on.
2. A print size of 11×14 inches was
selected. Saved as #1.
3. A photo was brought on and color
and other adjuctments made.
4. Cropping tool was selected, mouse was
clicked and dragged to crop out a
small bottom part, as soon as the mouse
was let go, the image was frozen, the
Photoshop working window was locked up
dead. The mouse stood still.
At this point all I could do was to restart the computer. Thank you again for your help!
Mon Lumm
DM
dave milbut
Aug 1, 2003
mon, like chris said:

Mathias Vejerslev "Computer locks up, shuts down, or reboots while running Photoshop" 6/5/03 4:49pm </cgi-bin/webx?50/1>
SF
Stephen Foley
Aug 3, 2003
I also have trouble with the crop tool. I’m running Photoshop 6 on Windows XP with an Athalon xp processor. After I create an initial selection, the drag points in the middle of an edge of the bounding box are missing. I cannot crop a square selection either straight vertically or straight horizontilly, only diagonally, or rotationally. I did not have this problem when running Windows 98 on an Intel machine.

Window locked up on me as well when trying desperatly to get the crop tool to do what I wanted. Needed a hard boot to get going again. I ran Norton Windoctor and only found an error for an invalid shortcut.

Are there any known common problems with running Photoshop 6 on Windows XP. Is anyone else having this same crop problem?
DM
dave milbut
Aug 3, 2003
Are there any known common problems with running Photoshop 6 on Windows XP.

apparently on your system there are… READ THE FAQ it’s been pointed out 3 times in this post!
V
vtot4y602
Aug 3, 2003
I can’t seem to find a way to inverse the selection made by the crop tool. Is there such a feature? Thanks. PS. I’m a newbie and read the manual.
K
Kingdom
Aug 3, 2003
(RO) wrote in
news::

I can’t seem to find a way to inverse the selection made by the crop tool. Is there such a feature? Thanks. PS. I’m a newbie and read the manual.

Thats why it’s called a CROP tool

Experience is something you get just after you need it.

============================================================ ============= Walrus Home alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper <=vote here every weekend. weekly entries posted on
http://web.newsguy.com/evilsideshowbob/entries.html
FAQ found at http://members.rogers.com/heretic54/
(The most up to date version is posted in alt.binaries.pictures.wallpaper on Mondays and Thursdays. PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING)
Walrus websites: http://web.newsguy.com/evilsideshowbob/ For Contest Archives & Artists http://www.weeklywalrus.com ============================================================ =============
K
Kipling
Aug 5, 2003
You cant use the Crop tool to crop inversely. But you can simply cut out the center of the photo using the rectangle marquee tool, if that’s what you’re getting at. If you’ve already cropped and wished you hadn’t, revert the file.

"Warren Sarle" wrote in message
"RO" wrote in message
I can’t seem to find a way to inverse the selection made by the crop tool. Is there such a feature?

No, the Crop tool is not used to make selections. You want the Rectangular Marquee tool. Then you can use Inverse from the Selection menu.

JB
James Burton
Aug 5, 2003
I have exactly the same difficulty as Stephen Foley as far as the crop tool in Windows XP is concerned – *After I create an initial selection, the drag points in the middle of an edge of the bounding box are missing. I cannot crop a square selection either straight vertically or straight horizontilly, only diagonally, or rotationally* This problem is far from resolved – I’m running PhotoShop 7.

The response from dave milbut is deeply unhelpful…not to say abrupt…I can see no mention of these difficulties in the FAQ despite searching and re-searching with different keywords. Perhaps dave would like to point us lesser mortals in the right direction – preferably in lower case.
DM
dave milbut
Aug 5, 2003
james…

The response from dave milbut is deeply unhelpful…not to say abrupt…

no it wasn’t… both prior users mention windows locking up.

from initial post:

the image was frozen and window was locked up

from post #5:

Window locked up on me as well when trying desperatly to get the crop tool to do what I wanted. Needed a hard boot to get going again.

If windows locks up under xp it’s a hardware problem. that’s addressed in the FAQ. Chris Cox (PS designer) told the user to check the faq for the computer locks up topic. I even linked to the specific topic in my post #4 in case the user was unable to locate it. In post #6 i reiterated the need to read that topic. Abrupt? Maybe. Unhelpful? No. When another user posted the same question and hadn’t read or didn’t understand the previous answers.

Are you locking up completely? If so you have bad hardware and I ask you (kindly – pretty please – there better?) to please read the Frequently Asked Questions response provided in that link. Now refrenced for the FOURTH time in this thread.

If you are NOT locking up (windows freezing, requiring a cold reboot), you don’t have the same problem as the other 2 users and you should start a NEW thread detailing YOUR problem instead of blasting the regulars who are trying to help here as "deeply unhelpful".

BTW, if you’re NOT locking up, have you checked the option bar when using the crop tool and made sure there are no paramaters left in there? You can hit the clear button in the option bar with the crop tool selected to make sure everything to do with the crop tool is reset/cleared to defaults.

Another general PS wierdness fix is to reset the prefrences. That’s also detailed in the FAQ section in case clearing the option bar doesn’t work.

Thanks for the insult. Next time I’ll try to be nicer.

dave
JB
James Burton
Aug 5, 2003
well it wouldn’t hurt…

Yeah, its a reset defaults situation.
I’ll try to be thread specific in future.
Mon Lumm and Stephen Foley came up in the same FAQ search and I just posted a reply. Craven apologies for breach of etiquette.
Gave me a chance to sort it myself instead of bleating for help from you seasoned regulars. OK here’s how it goes:
Open an image in PP7.
Click on crop tool.
If the bounding box limits seem not to have central handle you cannot create the cropping area you require.
Just a half of the image or so?
This is what you do (in XP anyway) to put things right.
Go up top right>click cancel current crop operation – this gets rid of the bounding box. Go up top left>click the crop symbol, then the blue arrow to access the drop down list of tool options.
Click *restore tool defaults* and you’re good to go.
THAT’s helpful.
Bye.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 5, 2003
This is insane. Dave is a regular contriubtor that does little more than donate time, for free to help folks with photoshop and non-photoshop questions. All of us get annoyed when we point to an answer provided by GOD (Chris Cox) and everyone blows it off, saying "that’s not it".

Then someone comes along and asks the same question in the thread as the previous questions, and expects the answer to be different.

Even if he’s not right (and he usually is), shame on you. Call Adobe Customer Service then and PAY for your answers.
DM
dave milbut
Aug 5, 2003
You’re a good man Tony… thanks, but I didn’t take it to seriously. Like you always say… Peace.

dave

(and like my mom used to say: "Put sugar in what you say and salt in what you hear.")
SF
Stephen Foley
Aug 6, 2003
James that was awesome. Very simple and to the point, and it worked. The main issue was cropping anyway, not all this crashing stuff.

I think it’s a little different in PS 6. I just right clicked the crop tool in the options bar and selected reset tool, and that was it.

Users should keep in mind that occasionally there are newbies such as myself that haven’t even partaken in discussion groups, let alone the PS group.

Thanks again James.
DM
dave milbut
Aug 6, 2003
The main issue was cropping anyway, not all this crashing stuff.

that’s great, but if xp is locking up – ever – you have a hardware problem that’s not going to get any better.

sorry i was a bit abrupt stephen, but even newbies usually read the previous posts in a thread before they post to it. you said you were locking up and that you had windows xp. those 2 facts together point to a hardware failure in your system (per that faq thread). ram, cpu, mobo or other. but it exists. ps was just exposing it. it WILL be back if you don’t get your system checked. and it WILL happen more and more frequently with different operations until you find and fix the failing componant(s).

"You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you get what you need."

I’m done.

sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way here. just trying to help.

dave
TV
Ton Vrolijks
Oct 27, 2003
Hello,

My question is: Can I use the Crop Tool by a cirkelselection. I want a cirkel picture without any background. I can’t find it in my book. With the normal crop tool you create a square picture and save that picture. But I want a cirkel picture and save that cirkel picture. I hope someone knows the answer.

Kindly regards Ton Vrolijks
W
wes
Oct 27, 2003
Use the oval marquee instead. Make your circle (Alt Shift drag) to start a circle at the center, Ctrl +Shift I to invert the selection and then Delete. Do this on a duplicate of the background layer. Click on the eye of the background to turn it off in order to see you circular selection. As far as I know, you can’t crop in a circle.
CM
christopher_mark_jones
Apr 24, 2004
am using adobe phtoshop cs. when i use the crop tool, choose the area i want cropped, then hit enter to crop, the picture disappears and i’m left with a small black square in the centre. it seems to crop everything, and not the disignated area. anyone any ideas as to how i might fix this, or calm it down at least?

ta,
chris
DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 24, 2004
This sounds as though you are using the marquee tool, not the crop tool. Could this be the case?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 24, 2004
Either that or crop tool has some small parameters set in options.

Have anything in the dialogue boxes for the crop tool on top of page? If so, try clearing them.

Mac
GA
George_Austin
Apr 25, 2004
Odds are the width and height are entered in pixel units when you intended inches—like 5px wide by 7px high instead of 5in wide by 7in high.
GA
George_Austin
Apr 27, 2004
Christopher,

Ahem…psst…you DID receive help…solicited help…to which your response seems to have disappeared leaving a small black mark…

🙁 🙁
DP
debby_peters
May 16, 2004
I have Photoshop 7 on 2 computers, and on one the crop tool has center and corner buttons, but one does not have the center buttons and it’s driving me crazy…is there a setting for this or do I have a freak thing going on? Thanks for any help please.

Debby
GA
George_Austin
May 16, 2004
Debby

On the computer for which no center handles appear you probably have set fixed width and height in the context-sensitive options bar for the crop tool. Leave the width and height boxes blank if you want a free-form crop, and the center handles will appear.

George
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 16, 2004
Hit the Clear button in crop options to reset it to default.

Mac
SB
Scott_Brinkman
Jul 14, 2004
Where does one do this at? Where do I find CROP OPTIONS????
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 14, 2004
Where do I find CROP OPTIONS????

erm, in the "options bar".
JD
June_D_Andrea
Jul 20, 2004
Having problems with crop tool. Suddenly all I can do is crop to a set landscape..will not allow custom cropping. NO clue how to reset. Help please.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 20, 2004
hit clear on the option bar? check the other options there too.
JD
June_D_Andrea
Jul 20, 2004
Ok I feel like an idiot….thank you very much
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 20, 2004
Re: an idiot

A Photoshop expert is just someone who has made all the mistakes before you have (or read about them in the forums).
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jul 20, 2004
and then writes a book!
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 20, 2004
don’t feel bad june. you’re welcome.
L
LenHewitt
Jul 20, 2004
June,

I feel like an idiot….<<

There’s a village near here with a spare one going cheap…
JD
June_D_Andrea
Jul 20, 2004
You guys are great. Been away from PS a bit too long. Don’t be surprised if you see me asking PS 101 questions again. :>
P
Phosphor
Jul 20, 2004
Good advice for all who are new or a bit rusty:

Explore the Options Bar for every tool.

Explore the results of using modifier keys (CTRL, ALT and SHIFT) and combinations thereof anywhere you can click.

Look for tiny little triangles peppered about Photoshop’s interface. There are many wondrous things to be found.
CM
Chas Muhlbauer
Oct 19, 2004
Try resetting preferences. This usually helps when Elements mis-behaves.
DA
Donald Allen
Apr 25, 2005
I have a problem with the crop tool. It will only crop to sizes, 8 x 10, 5 x 7, 4 x 6 etc. I want to be able to crop to any size. What is the answer? Using Elements 3.
Thanks.
M
mrfss
Apr 25, 2005
"HP" wrote in message
I have a problem with the crop tool. It will only crop to sizes, 8 x 10, 5 x 7, 4 x 6 etc. I want to be able to crop to any size. What is the answer? Using Elements 3.
Thanks.
With the CROP TOOL selected, hit clear, then type in the width you want in the width box and the height you want in the height box.
G
Graham
Apr 25, 2005
"HP" wrote in message
Thanks.

Sounds like you are using the pre-set options sizes. You can enter your own numbers directly into the two boxes which display the width & height
DA
Donald Allen
Apr 25, 2005
Thanks for the replys. Sometimes I don’t know what size I want until I get to cropping…I want it to be ‘freelance’ or whatever while cropping. No restrictions.
Thanks.

"Graham" wrote in message
"HP" wrote in message
Thanks.

Sounds like you are using the pre-set options sizes. You can enter your own numbers directly into the two boxes which display the width & height

M
mrfss
Apr 25, 2005
In that case, hit the clear button and you can drag any size you want, rotate it, etc with the mouse pointer. When you have it the way you want it, hit the check sign and it will do its thing and crop as you have it. "HP" wrote in message
Thanks for the replys. Sometimes I don’t know what size I want until I get
to cropping…I want it to be ‘freelance’ or whatever while cropping. No restrictions.
Thanks.

"HP" wrote in message
Thanks.

G
Graham
Apr 26, 2005
"HP" wrote in message
Thanks for the replys. Sometimes I don’t know what size I want until I
get
to cropping…I want it to be ‘freelance’ or whatever while cropping. No restrictions.
Thanks.

"HP" wrote in message
Thanks.

Try the Marquee tool
Definitly read its instructions
Shift, Space bar & Drag work together to select & move
DA
Donald Allen
Apr 26, 2005
The ‘clear’ button? Guess I will have to show my ignorance… I don’t find a ‘clear’ button.
Thanks.

"mrfss" wrote in message
In that case, hit the clear button and you can drag any size you want, rotate it, etc with the mouse pointer. When you have it the way you want it, hit the check sign and it will do its thing and crop as you have it. "HP" wrote in message
Thanks.

"HP" wrote in message
Thanks.

M
mrfss
Apr 26, 2005
Look at this picture – on the right hand side of the CROP TOOLBAR

http://www.imgpost.com/uploads/fbcf806a0a.jpg

"HP" wrote in message
The ‘clear’ button? Guess I will have to show my ignorance… I don’t find a ‘clear’ button.
Thanks.

"mrfss" wrote in message
Thanks.

"HP" wrote in message
Thanks.

DA
Donald Allen
Apr 26, 2005
Told you I was dense. I found it.

Thanks.

"mrfss" wrote in message
Look at this picture – on the right hand side of the CROP TOOLBAR
http://www.imgpost.com/uploads/fbcf806a0a.jpg

"HP" wrote in message
Thanks.

"mrfss" wrote in message
In that case, hit the clear button and you can drag any size you want, rotate it, etc with the mouse pointer. When you have it the way you
want
it, hit the check sign and it will do its thing and crop as you have
it.
"HP" wrote in message
Thanks for the replys. Sometimes I don’t know what size I want until
I
get
Thanks.

"HP" wrote in message
Thanks.

SW
Sally_Weigand
May 6, 2005
How can the guidelines of the crop tool in PS2 be moved only slightly? Everytime I move them using the mouse they move too far from the edge of the image. Then when I use the arrow keys to move the new lines, they move in the direction of the arrow but the size of the image stays smaller than what I want.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 6, 2005
When you have the Crop tool selected, look at the settings in the Option Bar. It sounds like it may have a specific size selected. Hit Clear.
R
Roy
May 6, 2005
wrote in message
How can the guidelines of the crop tool in PS2 be moved only slightly? Everytime I move them using the mouse they move too far from the edge of the image. Then when I use the arrow keys to move the new lines, they move in the direction of the arrow but the size of the image stays smaller than what I want.

Hi there.

This is another of those little tricks in PS and Elements which are so easy once you know about them.

The trick for fine movements of a Crop, especially near the edge of the image, is to hold down Cntrl while moving the Crop Line.

Roy G
CW
Colin_Walls
May 6, 2005
Do you mean that the edge jumps instead of moves slowly? If so, I suspect you have "snap to grid" switched on – not sure where the settings are for this in PSE 2.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 6, 2005
PSE2 Snap to Grid:

View>Snap to Grid

Wendy
May 7, 2005
when using crop tool it used to let me drag the crop size from corners and single edges, but now it only crops from the top corner and expands both width and height simultaneously, I cant crop a portion out that I specify it just goes where it wants(rather like it is constraining the sample) how can i stop this?
MM
Mister Max
May 7, 2005
"" <daznotathome.com> posted:

when using crop tool it used to let me drag the crop size from corners and single edges, but now it only crops from the top corner and expands both width and height simultaneously, I cant crop a portion out that I specify it just goes where it wants(rather like it is constraining the sample) how can i stop this?

Probably the problem is that you have a size selected in the crop tool. Blank out the sizes and you’ll be ok.

MisterMax

http://buten.net/max/
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco, Mt Holly, Myanmar (new), Sicily, St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand (new), Tour de France.

http://pbase.com/mistermax – Shadows and Reflections
J
Jan
May 7, 2005
wrote:

Hit the ‘clear’ button in the top bar first.

Jan
P
patrick
May 8, 2005
"Mister Max" wrote in message
"" <daznotathome.com> posted:

Probably the problem is that you have a size selected in the crop tool. Blank out the sizes and you’ll be ok.

Right! At the far right of the Options Bar for the Crop Tool is a box labelled "Clear" Clicking within this box will clear any fixed dimensions which have been set in the first two boxes and let you control the size of the crop. After you release the mouse, you can click-drag within the outline to move the selection.
Good luck! . . . . patrick
May 8, 2005
thanks..back to normal now
"" <daznotathome.com> wrote in message
N
not
Jul 31, 2005
when I use crop tool it spreads a box proportionally, how can I make the width and height be alterable independantly
T
Tacit
Jul 31, 2005
In article ,
"" wrote:

when I use crop tool it spreads a box proportionally, how can I make the width and height be alterable independantly

click on the Crop tool. Look at the Options bar. You probably have "Fixed Aspect Ratio" selected. Change it to "Normal."

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
D
Dave
Jul 31, 2005
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:13:33 +0100, "" wrote:

by using the handles on the ‘crop square’ before
cropping. Draw the square (with the crop tool)
and thereafter move your cursor on the
square-lines in order to enable the handles.

Dave
P
patrick
Jul 31, 2005
"tacit" wrote in message
In article ,
"" wrote:

click on the Crop tool. Look at the Options bar. You probably have "Fixed Aspect Ratio" selected. Change it to "Normal."

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

"Fixed Aspect Ratio" refers to the "Style" box in the Marquee tool. For the Crop tool, select the tool, then set the boxes in the Options bar: Click on the "Clear" box to clear any fixed dimensions you may have set for previous images.
When you draw the crop area, get the square approximately the way you want by click-dragging as you have been doing.
Then, click-drag on one of the *middle* markers in the crop outline. (You can still click-drag on one of the corners but then you must be careful to drag orthogonally so as not to alter the other dimension.) Right click inside the crop area and choose "Crop" or "Cancel"

BTW, you can rotate your cropped area by click-dragging *outside* the area. The cursor will turn to a small arc with an arrow head at each end. You can set the rotation point by click-dragging the center marker in the crop area.

The Marquee tool works simarily if you select the "Style>Normal" in the Options bar — with the advantage that you can then choose "Select>Transform" after you have drawn the marque and have access to all the free transform operations to tailor the selection.
When you draw the Marquee area, you can control its aspect ratio by dragging straight up/down, left/right or diagonally. You can move the area by holding down the space bar and dragging inside the area.. Do NOT let up on the mouse. You can go back and forth between sizing and moving the area as long as you don’t let up on the mouse.
Unlike the Crop tool, you are making a selection, not just drawing a crop area. That’s what lets you invoke the "Select>Transform> function after you have drawn the area.
To crop to the final selection, use Image>Crop with the selection still active.
(Use the same techniques to draw with the Ellipse tool.)

Good Luck! . . . . patrick
P
patrick
Jul 31, 2005
"patrick" wrote in message
"tacit" wrote in message
In article ,
"" wrote:

"Fixed Aspect Ratio" refers to the "Style" box in the Marquee tool. For the Crop tool, select the tool, then set the boxes in the Options bar: Click on the "Clear" box to clear any fixed dimensions you may have set for previous images.
When you draw the crop area, get the square approximately the way you want by click-dragging as you have been doing.
Then, click-drag on one of the *middle* markers in the crop outline. (You can still click-drag on one of the corners but then you must be careful to drag orthogonally so as not to alter the other dimension.) Right click inside the crop area and choose "Crop" or "Cancel"
BTW, you can rotate your cropped area by click-dragging *outside* the area. The cursor will turn to a small arc with an arrow head at each end. You can set the rotation point by click-dragging the center marker in the crop area.

The Marquee tool works simarily if you select the "Style>Normal" in the Options bar — with the advantage that you can then choose "Select>Transform" after you have drawn the marque and have access to all the free transform operations to tailor the selection.
When you draw the Marquee area, you can control its aspect ratio by dragging straight up/down, left/right or diagonally. You can move the area by holding down the space bar and dragging inside the area.. Do NOT let up on the mouse. You can go back and forth between sizing and moving the area as long as you don’t let up on the mouse.
Unlike the Crop tool, you are making a selection, not just drawing a crop area. That’s what lets you invoke the "Select>Transform> function after you have drawn the area.
To crop to the final selection, use Image>Crop with the selection still active.
(Use the same techniques to draw with the Ellipse tool.)
Good Luck! . . . . patrick
Art, I forgot to mention another advantage of using the Marquee tool rather than the Crop tool is that, once drawn, it is, indeed, a selection and by hitting the Q key you can perform any operation on that selection that you can perform on any grey scale layer. You can paint black/white for a freehand alteration of the selection, apply a blur filter for previewed feather effects, etc.
You can also select *any* of the Select menu items, not just the Transform function. I frequently use the Selection>Inverse option. .. . . . patrick
L
LeDeane
Jan 22, 2007
How do I change the crop size from inches to dpi with the crop tool in CS2 Windows xp for a single tool preset? jc
C
chrisjbirchall
Jan 22, 2007
dpi relates to the resolution of a printer. You mean ppi (pixels per inch).

That said, the place for this is in the Option Bar’s "Resolution" box, regardless of how your crop dimentions are specified.

If you mean "how do I change the crop size from inches to pixels, simply enter in the Hieght/width boxes as: 600 px x 800 px

Hope this helps.
L
LeDeane
Jan 22, 2007
Works great! Thanks Chris
TM
tommy_millar
Apr 30, 2007
I have recently got the courage to try some ideas in magazine to help enlarge my capabilities in Photoshop 7. I was using the crop tool for vignettes recently, however when I finished and then logged in a couple of days later and reverted back to rectangular tool. firstly it was working ,however when I came to actually crop it cancelled and went back to original. I have tried several times all unsuccessful to crop but it wont work. Has anyone come across this problem and how can it be fixed?

Tom
TM
tommy_millar
Apr 30, 2007
I have recently got the courage to try some ideas in magazine to help enlarge my capabilities in Photoshop 7. I was using the crop tool for vignettes recently, however when I finished and then logged in a couple of days later and reverted back to rectangular tool. firstly it was working ,however when I came to actually crop it cancelled and went back to original. I have tried several times all unsuccessful to crop but it wont work. Has anyone come across this problem and how can it be fixed?

Tom
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 30, 2007
Are you talking about the Crop tool or the Rectangular Marquee? It’s not at all clear what you are asking.

Update to 7.0.1 by the way.
Apr 30, 2007
And trash your preferences, just in case.
AD
Andrei_Doubrovski
May 1, 2007
Hi Tommy,
It looks like you are mix up the Crop with Rectangular Marquee tool (hold your cursor over the tool’s button on the Toolbox to see its name).
The only purpose of the Crop Tool is reformatting the entire document. The Rectangular Marquee selects a particular area of your document. After selecting you can edit this area separately from the rest of the image. Also
Most probably, you created vignette with the Rectangular Marquee. Now if you want to discard unnecessary (not selected) parts of the document pull down "Image > Crop".

SimplePhotoshop.com <http://simplephotoshop.com/>
TM
tommy_millar
May 1, 2007
ok will try that however why are the courners rounded?

tom
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 1, 2007
Is there a feather on the Marquee? That would account for rounded corners.
MC
melissa_causa
Dec 17, 2007
For some reason my crop tool is set and locked at 2 dimensions settings.

Can anyone tell me how to unlock it so that I can use the tool freely?

Thanks
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 17, 2007
Melissa,

In the Options Bar click on the Clear button.

Rob
IE
Ian_Edwards
Mar 23, 2009
Hi

is there a snap to option in cs4 for the crop tool?

I’m restoring some ole photos and need to trim a small amount around the edges. However whenever I get close to the edge when dragging it seems to snap to the edge

thanks

Ian
ZB
Zeno_Bokor
Mar 23, 2009
View->Snap or View->Snap To->Document bounds
IE
Ian_Edwards
Mar 23, 2009
Hi

thanks, never looked under view, sure there is a logic for that somewhere;-)

cheers

Ian
DS
Dennis_S
Mar 23, 2009
Holding down the Ctrl key in these situations will temporarily suspend the snap functionality as well.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections