Posted By
W_Williamson
Oct 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there –

I know there is a way to do this – but I can’t recall…

I have a photo where 2 of the 3 people are wearing PINK scarves… I want to keep the pink but make the rest of the photo black and white.

How do I do that? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

🙂

Wendy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 31, 2005
Select the pink with any of a dozen techniques – like magic wand, or Select|Color Range…, then invert the selection (Ctrl-Shift-I). In the layers palette click on the Adjustment layer icon and choose Hue/Saturation; drop saturation to zero, and say okay. One, two, ten, you’re done.

Peace,
Tony
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 31, 2005
Image > Desaturate

In the History Palette, click in the little square on the "Open" state.

Select the History brush.

Paint the pink scarves back in.

Edit: Slow typing!
JS
John_Slate
Nov 1, 2005
Now if W wants the black and white image to be actually black and white (ie grayscale) then that is a different matter…

….inadvisable perhaps, but requiring a different approach.

Only W can tell us.
WW
W_Williamson
Nov 1, 2005
Yes – black and white/grayscale…. You may have scene this feature on various holiday cards etc…. christmas tree etc in black and white and yet the ornaments still in color.

Thanks for your help – Wendy
JS
John_Slate
Nov 1, 2005
You must be in CMYK mode for this.

Select the pink scarves.

Ctrl-J to put them on their own layer.

Activate the background layer in the layers palette and Ctrl-U> check the colorize button, and drag the saturation slider to zero. Now you have all the B&W image on the black plate only.

Finally, you may want to adjust the background with curves a bit.

Just so you know, I said it may be inadvisable because the B&W image created this way will not print with the same degree of richness as the other methods layed out in Posts#1 and #2, though it certainly will be neutral…

Do you know the difference between a B&W image printing in black ink only, versus a B&W image printing in 4colors?
WW
W_Williamson
Nov 1, 2005
Thanks for all your help — in response to your question:

Do you know the difference between a B&W image printing in black ink only, versus a B&W image printing in 4colors?

No, I don’t… do you think there is a big difference?

– Wendy
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 1, 2005
If you prefer the tonality of a greyscale image, as opposed to one obtained by desaturating, try this:

* Make a duplicate of the image by right clicking the bar at the top of the image window and selecting "Duplicate".

* Convert your main image to Greyscale, adjust levels to taste, then convert back to RGB.

* Drag the duplicate image into the original. This will create a colour layer above the monochrome one. (make sure "snap to" is on).

* Select the pink scarves (magic wand/shift+magic wand). Add a layer mask.

Chris.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Nov 1, 2005
Printing on what, on a press or an inkjet printer?
JS
John_Slate
Nov 1, 2005
If on a press, a 4-color black and white will be richer as I said before, since the total density of the darkest areas will be higher than printing in black ink only.

The downside is that, depending on how the pressman runs the job, the B&W image might have a color cast .

Black ink by itself, can’t achieve the same density range, but it will definitely be neutral.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 3, 2005
With an inkjet printer, there should be no difference between a grayscale image and an RGB image that is desaturated (i.e., grayscale) unless you do something unusual with the printer driver. If you set the printer driver to use black ink only, you will get a different image, however, because the printer would otherwise use the colored inks in combination with the black ink to get a wider and more contiguous range of grays. The black ink alone, on the other hand, will result in a more visible halftone-like effect and banding in gradient gray areas.
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 3, 2005
there should be no difference between a grayscale image and an RGB image that is desaturated

Here’s an interesting comparison contributed to an earlier thread by Rob Keijzer:

Comparison chart <http://home.planet.nl/~keijz198/TFAC/Grey_diff.jpg>

Rob Keijzer, "Greyscale conversion versus desaturate for color to B&W" #2, 7 Oct 2005 9:54 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/1>
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 3, 2005
I think Michael was replying to this:

Do you know the difference between a B&W image printing in black ink only, versus a B&W image printing in 4 colors?

I had thought of the Keijzer diagram too, but thought it would complicate things to get into that, since the earlier methods (#1 and #2) won’t work if the image is in greyscale mode.
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 3, 2005
John. You and Tony answered Wendy’s original question is posts #1 and #2. Since then this thread has gone off in several different directions!

But it’s all grist to the mill. <g>
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 4, 2005
By "an RGB image that is desaturated" I didn’t mean only one that had been desaturated by the desaturation adjustment; I meand an RGB image (i.e., 24 bit) where all the pixels have equal R, G, and B values (i.e., no saturation, no color), regardless of how it’s done (color mixer, desaturate, other methods). In other words, what used to be referred to as a black-and-white (grayscale) image in RGB mode. That image should print identically whether it is sent to the printer in RGB mode or converted to grayscale.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections