DR
Posted By
Daniel_Rich
Jan 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Here is a weird one. I am using Windows XP home. I have installed Photoshop Elements 2.0. Each time I start the program, the registration screen comes up. When I click "don’t show again", the screen disappears, but the next time I run the program it comes up again. I unistalled the program, made a new user account on XP, reinstalled the program, and on that user account when I click to get rid of the registration screen, it stays gone. I then deleted that user from XP, and went back to my standard user profile, but the same thing happens with the registration screen. It is as if the program can’t remember anything that has been done to it. Some registry entry isn’t being made. I had this happen once before with a Roxio product, but the excercise above worked for that product, so now it remembers correctly. I used a trial version of Elements 2.0 many months ago which I uninstalled quite a while ago, but I wonder if this affected things. There must be some registry thing to edit, but darned if I know what to do here. Anybody with any ideas? I’m tired of clicking "no" to register every time I fire up the program. And, yes, I did register the first time online!

Daniel

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
Dave_McElderry
Jan 10, 2004
Does the Windows logon that you’re using have full administrator privileges? Adobe warns in the readme file that certain information can’t be written to the registry without admin rights. It would seem logical to me that this would be one of those things that would require it.
DR
Daniel_Rich
Jan 10, 2004
Yes. I am the only user, and my logon has full administrator rights.

Daniel
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 10, 2004
I couldn’t tell whether or not you’d tried the modification that worked for the other person who had posted with the same problem. Did you? My suggestion would be to do a complete uninstall of Elements, including all the straggling files and folders you can find; make sure that any antivirus software you may have on your computer is disabled; and then do a reinstall of Elements. A few days ago there was a post in which someone listed the files that need to be removed manually; I’ll see if I can find it. If I’m successful, I’ll post again with a link.

Here:

Grant Dixon – 12:03pm Jan 9, 2004 Pacific (#5 of 12)

The preferences in Windows is located as below with the only change is that "LOGONNAME" will be individual to you.

C:\Documents and Settings\ LOGONNAME \Application
Data\Adobe\Photoshop\Elements\Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs

You also might want to delete any folders created in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2" including "Photoshop Elements 2"
DR
Daniel_Rich
Jan 10, 2004
Well, I tried that and it doesn’t work. There is some registry problem, but I searched the registry and I can’t figure out what it is. As I said, if I make a new user account in Windows, it works fine in that account. It is just my main account. This happened to me once before with Roxio Easy CD creator, when I accidently left it on board when I converted from Windows ME to Windows XP. I called Roxio, and they could not figure it out. But using the method of making a new logon, installing there, then deleting the logon worked for that program. It just doesn’t work for this program! What I need is a list of all registry entries that need to be deleted by hand, and then I could delete them. Adobe doesn’t have a list on their website as to how to do a complete uninstall, leaving no trace. I plan to call Adobe tech support, but they are closed on the weekend. I’ll bet they’ll have a tough time with this one. So any suggestions are great. By the way, I don’t think that the other guy did solve his problem, if I’m looking at the right post.

Daniel
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 10, 2004
Yes, actually it seems that he did: Since I don’t speak Windows very fluently, though, I’m not sure you’ve deleted the same file as he did. Maybe so, but I speak Mac as a primary language. 🙂

Recurring Registration Prompt

bbratten – 12:42pm Sep 13, 2003 Pacific

Each time I load PE2, I am asked my registration choice (online, print, or ‘do not remind’). This is followed by a prompt re: Adobe Online. No matter what option I check (and I have registered the product online), this registration prompt and Adobe Online box appear each time I load the product. I can fully use the program, it is just an annoying hassle to get through these two boxes each time I load it. I have unistalled and reinstalled several times, and deleted the registration keys and other files, but it still gives me this problem. Has anyone run into this or been able to solve it?
———————————————————— ———— bbratten – 09:46pm Sep 13, 2003 Pacific (#6 of 7)

After deleting the directory, "\program files\common files\adobe\" and subdirectories, it worked and I no longer get the prompt. FYI. I thing I missed that directory upon my first uninstallation/reinstallation.
DR
Daniel_Rich
Jan 10, 2004
Well, I suppose that might work, but I have other adobe products, and if I delete that subdirectory it will affect acrobat and adobe album, both of which I have installed. So that is an issue. I’ll look into it, because perhaps there is something I am missing there.

Daniel
DR
Daniel_Rich
Jan 10, 2004
OK, I tried to delete all of the above, and my problem still exists. I really don’t get it. It must be a registry issue. How frustrating.

Daniel
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 10, 2004
I’m sorry. And I don’t do registry problems! If you want to tackle it, I’d suggest you start a new thread with a title that requests help with a registry problem. We have a couple of people on the forum that are pretty good at dealing with those; I just don’t happen to be one of them! You can draw attention to that specific problem better in a new post.
DR
Daniel_Rich
Jan 10, 2004
Yeah. I’ll try that. One can really cause problems getting into the registry!

Daniel

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections