PE2 causes illegal operaion and fault in Kernel32. HELP!

GN
Posted By
Guy_Nicholson
Jan 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We are running Windows 98SE and have more than enough disk space and memory to run Photoshop Elements 2. We have run PE1 on the same computer with no problems; the computer has recently been rebuilt and is virus clear.

The programme installs without error message and opens cleanly. It can be shut down cleanly if no photos are opened. If the photos are opened using file -> open the programme shuts down cleanly. If the file browser is used to access photos PE2 works without problem ; however on shutdown we get an error message about an illegal operation that cannot be shut down. Details reveals :

PHOTOSHOPELEMENTS caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff87f05.
Registers:
EAX=c00301a8 CS=0167 EIP=bff87f05 EFLGS=00210282
EBX=00000080 SS=016f ESP=0dd80000 EBP=0dd80088
ECX=8193ba58 DS=016f ESI=8195f0b0 FS=4367
EDX=0dd80230 ES=016f EDI=0dd8016c GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
e8 ca 07 00 00 85 c0 74 08 ff 75 08 e8 ec e7 fe
Stack dump:
00000001 ffffffff 0dd8016c 0dd800a0 0dd80230 0dd801e0 00000080 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000014 00000014 0dd801e0 0dd8016c 0dd80084

Every time this error message appears the PC cannot be shut down, hanging on the final screen with the windows sign and the message "windows is shutting down". Scan disk does not reveal any faults. We had a suggestion that it could be connected with a problem with the video driver – we checked online and do have the most up to date driver. (Our video card is SIS 630/730)

Can anyone shed some light on this fault?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 10, 2004
In a quick forum search, I’ve found other references to this. Unfortunately, in each case, a fix was suggested, and the poster never responded to tell us what worked. (So that’s a gentle reminder to please report back!)

The first – and most likely – cause is that Elements was installed while an antivirus program was also installed and running. If that’s the case with you, do a complete uninstall of Elements, using the "Uninstall" feature built in to Windows, and then do a Find for straggling files. There are a couple that get left behind, particularly a Preference folder. Next, disable your antivirus software, and then reinstall Elements. If Elements runs correctly, you should then be able to reactivate the antivirus stuff.

This error has also shown up occasionally when there’s some kind of a hardware conflict. Do you have a Wacom tablet or any other little gadget hooked up to your computer besides the standard stuff? If so, you might try an uninstall/reinstall of Elements with that disconnected.

If you’d like to read some of those previous posts, just do an Elements forum search for "kernel32.DLL" and several things will pop up. You might even find an older one where somebody actually came back and reported on what worked. Good luck!
R
Ray
Jan 10, 2004
Guy,

In addition ot Beth’s post, I’d say start by running a scan disk on your hard drive. Elements might
be sitting on a bad sector.

Ray
GN
Guy_Nicholson
Jan 10, 2004
Thanks Ray – we’ve already tried that one. Several times!!

Guy
GN
Guy_Nicholson
Jan 10, 2004
Thanks Beth – those do look interesting suggestions. WE certainly did have McAfee running at the time so I think you may have something there. I’ll definitely report back!

Guy
GN
Guy_Nicholson
Jan 10, 2004
After all that excitement I’m afraid uninstalling McAfee and reinstalling PE2 didn’t solve the problem. If there’s anyone else out there with an idea what to do we’d love to hear it!

Guy
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 10, 2004
Any chance you didn’t get a "clean" uninstall of both Elements and McAfee? After running the uninstall utililty for Elements, in particular, you still need to go back in and take out a couple of files manually. Leaving the old preference folder in, in particular, can continue to cause problems. I just did a post on this earlier today. I’ll go look for it and be back.

I’m back. Did you get these files?

The preferences in Windows is located as below with the only change is that "LOGONNAME" will be individual to you.

C:\Documents and Settings\ LOGONNAME \Application
Data\Adobe\Photoshop\Elements\Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs

You also might want to delete any folders created in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2" including "Photoshop Elements 2"
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 10, 2004
wrote:
Thanks Beth – those do look interesting suggestions. WE certainly did have McAfee running at the time so I think you may have something there. I’ll definitely report back!

Guy

I found a troubleshooting document on Adobe:
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1bd1e.htm

Lots of things to try in that article.

Something else that I suggest, is that you download Spybot and Ad-aware.

If you search for parts of your error message on Google or Google Groups, you’ll find other explanations and fixes I’m sure.

Ed
GN
Guy_Nicholson
Jan 11, 2004
We definitely got all those files Beth 🙁

Guy
GN
Guy_Nicholson
Jan 11, 2004
Thanks Ed – we tried most of what was on the help pages. WE have adaware which we run regularly – what is the difference between Adaware and Spybot?

Guy
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 11, 2004
Do you have any other photo editing software installed? I was reading through threads in the archives that came up when I plugged in ‘kernel32.DLL’. In one, there was some ‘competing’ software that might have been the problem. Unfortunately, many people post with these problems and, if they ever figure out a fix, they don’t come back and report what it was. Grrr. It’s frustrating to have to reinvent the wheel every time.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 11, 2004
wrote:
Thanks Ed – we tried most of what was on the help pages. WE have adaware which we run regularly – what is the difference between Adaware and Spybot?

Guy

There are some things that Spybot finds, and Ad-aware misses.

The reverse is also true.

Do you get the error if you run in safe mode?

Ed
GN
Guy_Nicholson
Jan 11, 2004
Hi Beth

The only stuff we have is Adobe PS Album version 1 – I assume the two are cross compatible!

Guy
GN
Guy_Nicholson
Jan 11, 2004
WE will look into Spybot, and into starting in safe mode – its not something that we have tried.

Thanks Ed for your help.

Guy
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 12, 2004
Adaware and Spybot sometimes find different things. I usually run them in a two week cycle. 1 now the other in 2 weeks and so on.

Dick

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections