RB
Posted By
Ralph_Brannon
Jan 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK, I know this is the elements forum, however, the discussions here are more humane then elsewhere.
I just saw, and verified, an unusual security feature in the new Photoshop CS (PS 7) If you scan in a NEW type of $20 dollar bill,(yes I know it is illegal to scan money, I did not keep the file) when it gets to photoshop,you will get an error message telling you it is illegal to scan this type of document.
I surely do not encourage scanning money, or anyone that does, but I am surprised that a software program has taken the time to see what you are scanning, and telling you that you can’t scan it.

What do you think ? ( A friendly discussion folks, not a flamefest)

Ralph
<http://www.darkstar.us>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 10, 2004
This has become perhaps the longest running thread on Windows Photoshop group I’ve ever seen. Check it out there.

Mac
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 10, 2004
We already had a bit of discussion started about it in the thread titled "OT Here’s another funny one(funny money)" on 1/2/04.
RB
Ralph_Brannon
Jan 10, 2004
Never mind.
I never use the Photoshop forum anymore because, well quite frankly it seems they want to argue more than help, or at least was when I gave it up about a year ago.
I did go look at it however and did find a few good replies.

So….
Never mind

Thanks
Ralph
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 10, 2004
So I’m probably getting ready to be flamed on this forum, but I’ve read posts from people on another forum who were – to put it mildly – miffed about this feature built into CS. What’s the big deal? Nobody thinks a thing about it when they see Elements scanning for watermarks, and there are certainly all kinds of people who have shown up on this forum asking how to insert copyright information so their images can’t be stolen. Why are some people so upset that a private software developer would provide a way to try and keep people from illegally trying to copy currency? If any of these complainers were ever the victim of someone passing counterfeit money I’d bet the tune would change. As a small business, we have to be constantly alert to this, because any fake money we take in comes right off our (already very small!) bottom line. It’s OK to insert devices for the benefit of private individuals but not the government? And we ARE the government.

So would someone please explain why there are so many people upset about this? I just don’t get it.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 10, 2004
…..and, who really cares ? They can just use PE1 πŸ˜‰
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 10, 2004
I just wonder how they did it….does it ban ALL currency? Only US currency? Both sides of bills? WHat about half a bill (folded)?
It would be easy to scan each half and then do a Photomerge. It seems like a very difficult thing to implement to me.
Bert
RW
Ralph_Ward
Jan 10, 2004
I am Ralph Ward not Robert as Grant keeps calling me. I guess Mr. Brannon corresponds more frequently than I do.
thanks
Ralph Ward
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 10, 2004
That Funny Money article was in our local Cape Cod paper, a woman made some $100s and got caught. Buying ice cream!
I have always used scanned $100s and $20 for fun as Christmas tree ornaments, and foreign currency too.
I have put pets in place of Ben and Andrew too, it is silly and fun, but I don’t really want to get some good paper and try it for real,,,,,,well maybe,,,,naaaaa
But I didn’t realize that Photoshop will detect what you are scanning, until they said it would in that newspaper article.

This is one of the fun things about this forum, we can get OT and have fun. And I have had some OT computer problems solved here too. Great bunch or people, best forum on the net!
Happy scanning,
Jane
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 10, 2004
Jane, I heard in a news broadcast that the US Federal government was working with multiple scanner companies in an attempt to get them all to include software that would disallow the copying of US currency. They said it was because the scanners were getting too good at reproduction. I guess there must also be some paper around that feels pretty real since when the new $20 bill came out, there were over 200 fakes spread around the KC area within the first few days of it’s issue. Of course, overworked clerks paid minimum wage and thrown a new bill may have made this easier for the crooks.
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 10, 2004
The new $20s look like the old ones after a wash in the pocket of a new pair of jeans. I guess my Christmas ornaments were too good,,,,,,,
From now on I will stick to foreign currency,,,,
Jane
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 10, 2004
Oh, but they’d have been pretty with all that peach on them. So next year are you going to have a Queen Elizabeth themed tree?
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 10, 2004
Oh, another never-done project comes to mind,,,,,
This would really be fun, one of our daughters suggested that we do a room with our really old foreign paper money collection, paste the things on the wall and they cover them with layers of polyeurathane. But with PSE we could make prints of scans of them and then put them up, and they would be just paper not the bills themselves. This is a project that I have never done, yet we have a whole lot of old money that we have collected over the years. Includes my father-in-laws collection when he went everywhere.

Edit, forgot this, a neighbor did her whole house with nav. charts. She used the light color ones, and it is really really neat, especially for a Cape Cod house.
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 11, 2004
Jane,

Speaking of Cape Cod, I was watching "Food Finds" on the Food Channel the other day and they did the whole half hour on Cape finds.

One was a Cranberry company called Old County Farms in East Sandwich.

Another was a Candy Manor in Chatham.

And Clambake Celebrations in Chatham, a company that specializes in "Clambakes to Go".

Very interesting spots, all of them.

Dick
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 11, 2004
Yes, it is a fun place to live.
I have my grandmother’s recipes for lots of seafoods, and the clam chowder that I make is awesome! When the weather is nice, my husband and I(sometimes our kids) go out and get shellfish or go fishing, and bring it home as fresh as can be.
My husband and some of his friends put on clambakes(small family ones) sometimes, and oh my goodness are they good. He has a propane cooker(homemade) that he uses so that we can make the mess outdoors.
Jane
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 11, 2004
When the weather is nice

Jane,
Which is NOT right now, from what I see on the Weather Channel….brrrrrr….is it above zero yet? Bert
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 11, 2004
Hi Bert, Heat wave! It got up to 20ΒΊ this afternoon and my husband let the wood stove go out. The dog just loves it, and is always on the wrong side of the door, would rather be out chasing the poor squirrels under the bird feeder.
One of our kids said that she was going to go skating on the cranberry bogs tonight. Maybe we will skate tomorrow, you can go for miles on the bogs after they flood them to protect the tender plants from the bitter cold.
Jane
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 11, 2004
Jane

Thanks for the reminder I best bring in some more logs for the wood stove or Doreen will be on the wrong side of the door.

g.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 11, 2004
Jane,

Where you live sounds great …. I have always wanted to try clam chowder, it just sounds so good.

Wendy
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 11, 2004
I best bring in some more logs for the wood stove

Hmmm. Well, I was just out sitting in the back yard in shorts and a T-shirt, enjoying a beer…I think the temp is about 75 on a beautiful sunny day here in southern CA.
Bert
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 11, 2004
My brother in law rubs it in too, they live in La Jolla. Jane
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 11, 2004
Hey, California is the laughingstock politically. We gotta get back somehow… Bert
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 11, 2004
A political laughingstock maybe, but at least you guys didn’t hit #1 on the "Most Stressful City" list! πŸ™‚ I don’t know where that person came up with all that junk. The location wasn’t right (Tacoma is not 30 miles East of Seattle, it’s 30 miles Southwest), and the population was inflated by at least 25%. I can just imagine the validity of the rest of the statistics that went into that little jewel of a survey!
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 12, 2004
Beth,
I didn’t hear about that one…
Tacoma the most stressful city? Why…does everybody there commute to Microsoft headquarters? πŸ™‚
Bert
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 12, 2004
Hi, Beth. I thought of you when I read that this am. Everyone in Miami is so happy to be only number 2. Somehow, though, when I think of anyplace out your way I don’t envision it as more stressful than Miami, especially when you’re in a car.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 12, 2004
Whoever did it picked some indicators which were kind of bizarre. One was the suicide rate. Given how far off he was about the demographics, I’m wondering if he mixed in information from the state mental hospital, which is in the county, but not in the city. A lot of what’s designated as "city" – depending on the source of the information – is also tribal land.
The whole thing was strange. I’d love to pick apart his indicators! I used to evaluate those for a living, and you can sure make them say a whole lot of different things, depending on the point you’re trying to make. New Orleans also received a pretty "high" ranking.

I’m not too stressed about it. πŸ™‚ Somebody is always picking on us about something.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 12, 2004
Beth,

I saw the article and I thought about you but didn’t want to mention it as…I thought it might stress you out. It’s just a story. As always, very subjective and arbitrary methods to measuring such a thing. I think it is kind of ridiculous and creates a stigma for the city based on someone’s pseudo scientific and goofy survey. I’d like to beat him up…hmmm, being from Seattle I guess I must be feeling some of that stress!
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 12, 2004
All that bothers us is the weather.
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 12, 2004
Bert,
Yada Yada Yada

Dick
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 12, 2004
Hey, Dick, we’re just a laid-back bunch out here in LALA land. Ny daughter called from NY this morning…the thermometer was right on the edge…minus 1…plus 1…minus one….and that was at 11AM!
Can’t imagine what it is now…
Bert
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 12, 2004
Bert, i’m in NY and it actually got up to 15 degrees today…a heatwave !
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 12, 2004
Heat wave! Now 29ΒΊ here and I just took our yellow lab for her walk and didnt freeze my ears off. Jane
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 12, 2004
Jodi,
Daughter Julie lives "up the river" about 50 miles from the City, in the Hudson Highlands, across the river from West Point. It’s always colder up there than down at the river, much colder than in the City. And they get more snow! We were there for Christmas in ’02 and got a foot of snow on Christmas Day. Almost missed our plane the next day.
Bert

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections