Posted By
jpssajpl1010
Oct 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I am running CS on an XP system with 2G RAM. My scratch disk has 7 GB of free space. I am trying to open a 9MB PSD that I downloaded off the net. Pshop returns an out of scratch disk space error message. I shutdown and open a 10MB PSD from the same source and it opens with no problem.

Note that in the Open dialog, the thumbnail for the image that fails to open displays correctly.

So my question is what can be going on in a 9MB PSD file for which 2GB of memory and 7GB of scratch disk is insufficient?

Thanks.

Jim
<http://www.marsartgallery.com/>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 28, 2005
Could be the file became corrupted during the download. Try downloading again.
J
jpssajpl1010
Oct 29, 2005
Hi. No the PSD was fine. I restarted and created even more free space and it did finally open.

While the image is only a couple K pixels wide and high, it must have about 300 text layers. Obviously Photoshop was being pushed to the limit as the image took forever to open. Now, was it the number of layers itself or the fact that they were all text layers that brought Photoshop to its knees?

Jim
<http://www.marsartgallery.com>
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 29, 2005
300 text layers seems like an awful lot to manage…
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 29, 2005
….and each would be written to the scratch disk upon opening.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 29, 2005
That approach to adding text to an image in Photoshop would appear to be very flawed. Better to reduce the layer count or use a vector program to overlay the text on the image.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 29, 2005
<nodding>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections