JR
Posted By
Jerry_Raack
Jan 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Somehow I managed while editing a diagram (imported as a jpg) to turn on the grayscale, so I can add nothing in my layer in color. I looked under "Help", but can’t figure out how to turn off the grayscale (that I somehow turned on). Anyway, can someone tell me simply how to turn back on "color" so I can draw lines in red and blue, rather than just in gradations of gray?
Thanks!
Jerry

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 9, 2004
Image>Mode>RGB
JR
Jerry_Raack
Jan 9, 2004
Barbara,
It worked! I knew it had to be simple, but just could not find it. MANY MANY THANKS! Jerry
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 9, 2004
You’re very welcome!
KC
Kim_Cranney
Jan 9, 2004
I have a problem similar to Jerry’s, but the solution above doesn’t work.

Just all of a sudden today, all the color images I open in P.E. come out in black and white! I set the Image>Mode to RGB Color, but they absolutely won’t appear in color. These are images I have previously opened successfully in color. The Print Preview function also shows the pictures in color, so the information must be there.

I’m a new user — it must be something simple. Can anybody advise?
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 9, 2004
Kim,

Try resetting the preferences. On Windows, click the PSE icon to launch and IMMEDiately depress and hold shift/alt/ctrl keys until a dialog box appears, answer yes and let the program load. If you don’t get the box, let it load the try again.
KC
Kim_Cranney
Jan 9, 2004
Thanks, Nancy.

I should have said I’m using Mac OS 9.1. But anyway I opened PE holding down the above-equivalent Mac keys and indeed got a dialogue box saying "Eliminate the PE settings file?" I clicked yes — but after that, every document I’ve tried still opens in black and white. Like before, the "print preview" still comes up in color.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 9, 2004
Kim, go to Control panels>monitors and see what profile is selected. Someone else had a similar problem a while ago and it was because he had somehow gotten a grayscale profile selected there. It didn’t affect the preview window because that’s not color-managed the way the main window is.

Do these files open in color in picture viewer? If not, you may have done something to the pics themselves. Might try zapping PRAM, too.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 9, 2004
Whoops. Sorry, Kim, obviously I meant you, not Nancy.
KC
Kim_Cranney
Jan 9, 2004
Barbara,

It worked! I remember now, a couple of weeks ago I was messing around in Control Panels>Monitors, wondering what all those settings were for. Somehow I managed to leave the setting at Generic Gray. For some reason, this setting has not affected the colors when I open documents in Apple Works or Picture Viewer, only in P.E., so I didn’t notice the problem before.

Thank you thank you!
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 9, 2004
Hi, Kim. That’s because only PE is color-managed. The other apps ignore those settings. Glad you got it sorted.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections