RS
Posted By
Richard_Shewmaker
Oct 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I checked through the messages in this forum last week and found several responses which I thought addressed my problem, but when I took the advice in them (reset Photoshop preferences, go to the FAQ for how) the situation actually became a lot worse.

I’m using Photoshop CS on Windows 2000. I work for the most part at 1600×1200. I hope I can describe what’s happening so you understand my problems. If I err on the side of wordiness, I apologize.

Let’s say I have a 200×200 image. I use the zoom tool to enlarge the image’s window once. The image ends up with scroll bars even though the image still fits easily on the screen at its zoomed in size (and would continue to do so several times, to the highest magnification if the image was a button or small graphical element).

When I click the image’s window’s edge and drag it so I can see the entire image (which eliminates the scroll bars), I end up with some grey space around the image (margins for lack of a better word). When I double click to resize the image to its original size, the window remains the same size, with the result that I now have an image surrounded by a lot of grey margin.

Prior to dumping my prefs, the situation described above *only* happened if I inadvertently clicked one of the full view icons. Once the problem began, the only way to get rid of it was to exit Photoshop and restart it. My initial hope was to "fix" things so that the full views did not end up with the grey margin issue. Now I have the problem all the time.

I have turned the "Zoom Resizes Windows" option on and off, exiting Photoship each time, and now this changes nothing at all.

"Please help." — Leeloo, "The Fifth Element"

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EZ
Earl_Zubkoff
Oct 28, 2005
On the Zoom Tool options bar, check "Resize Windows to Fit". In Preferences, leave "Zoom Resizes Window" checked; this will also apply to the keyboard zoom shortcuts.

Any better?

(But when the image gets really tiny, the window won’t shrink enough to accommodate it.)
RS
Richard_Shewmaker
Oct 28, 2005
Yes! Thank you. How embarrassing. I guess that setting changed when I dumped all my prefs. Thank you very much — that was an incredibly quick response and I really appreciate it because I’m working with a number of small images at present.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections