MH
Posted By
Mark_Heyworth
Oct 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wanted to apply two bevel effects to a plain blue square. I applied one effect directly to the plain blue square, and then created a layer above with the same square in gray (128,128,128), to which I applied the second bevel effect. I then set the blending mode of the layer to overlay, and got the desired effect. However, I now need to merge the layers down, in order to save them correctly in the format I want, but when I merge the overlay layer into the one below, it looses the overlay effect and the gray is all that can be seen, completely covering the plain blue square below, and any effects applied to it. Is there a way I can merge the overlay layer down so that it keeps its transparent section, and just the bevel that is visible is preserved and merged onto the main layer?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 26, 2005
Try "Flatten" instead of "Merge Down"
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 26, 2005
Are you viewing at 100% Mag? If not, zoom to 100%, then merge down. then use the history palette to determine if there is a difference between pre-merged and merged states. At anything other than 100% mag, it is an approximation of the image – I’ve seen this myself. It may not be your issue, but definitely worth checking.

Peace,
Tony
T
Terrat
Oct 26, 2005
Or merge up to a new composite and discard unused layers. Perhaps you won’t get the grey. Hold down[Ctrl. + Alt + Shift]+tap N, tap E.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections