RB
Posted By
Ryan_Burnett
Oct 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On my work computer I have it set up to view document dimensions at the bottom of the window. On my home computer the doc dimensions bar is not there. How can I enable it?

Thank you.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 25, 2005
Have you got CS2 at home? If so, this information have been removed to the INFO palette. You’ll need to select the details you would like displayed, using the fly-out menu on the palette.
RB
Ryan_Burnett
Oct 25, 2005
I have CS1.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 25, 2005
On CS1 you click the drop-down menu on the status bar to get to the choices. If the entire status bar is missing you’ll need to enable it from the WINDOW menu.
EZ
Earl_Zubkoff
Oct 25, 2005
Click Window>Status Bar. (On my computer it turns itself off just to annoy me and usually has to be re-selected upon retsarting.)

Then you have to click the triangle to choose what information is displayed.
P
Phosphor
Oct 25, 2005
"(On my computer it turns itself off just to annoy me and usually has to be re-selected upon retsarting.)"

I smell the possibility of catastrophic hardware failure in your future. Better get to troubleshooting. And no, I don’t mean for this and my last dialogue with you to add up to me being nothing but a doomsayer, Earl. Spontaneous full system shutdown is a serious red flag.

Chris Cox, "Computer locks up, shuts down, or reboots while running Photoshop" #2, 16 Aug 2004 3:45 pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/2>
NP
Nona_Pearson
Oct 26, 2005
Unless Earl meant the status bar turning itself off, which is how I read that….
P
Phosphor
Oct 26, 2005
If that’s the case, Nona, then I suggest it’s user-error and not something randomly mysterious.

Honest, Earl, I don’t mean to sound like I’m ganging up on you!

🙂
EZ
Earl_Zubkoff
Oct 26, 2005
I should’ve been more clear — Nona’s got it right, it’s my Status Bar that needs re-activation when I launch Photoshop. I haven’t analyzed it carefully, Phosphor, but of course user error couldn’t possibly be the explanation…
EZ
Earl_Zubkoff
Oct 26, 2005
Wait a second! I think I’ve got it.
I often Tab to get the palettes out of the way while I compare several pictures. If I happen to close PS while it’s in that state, then the palettes return automatically on the next launch but the Status Bar doesn’t.

This is CS1 on WinXP SP2, on both a desktop Micron and a laptop Dell.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 26, 2005
This Status Bar quirkiness has been a standard feature of Photoshop on Windows for many versions, only ending when the Status Bar itself was permanently disappeared in CS2.
EZ
Earl_Zubkoff
Oct 26, 2005
John – thanks for the info; I never noticed that until recently.

Note to Ryan – if you choose to show something other than dimensions in the Status Bar, you can get a quick, temporary display of dimensions by alt-clicking anywhere left of the triangle.
P
Phosphor
Oct 26, 2005
Hey Earl…

Can you save a Workspace that includes showing the Status bar? And then perhaps, you could assign a keyboard shorty to bring things quickly back to the way you like them?

Just a thought. I can’t test since I’m still (happily) steaming along with version 7 on Macintosh.
EZ
Earl_Zubkoff
Oct 26, 2005
Phosphor – good thought, but it seems a saved Workspace does not include the Status Bar status.

However, your suggestion prompted me to check CS’s (and CS2’s) custom keyboard shortcuts, and sure enough, you can create your own to toggle the Status Bar.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections