KW
Posted By
krystal_whitfield
Oct 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop CS2 2 computers with Windows XP, Version 2002, with an intel pentium 4CPU, 2.80 ghz processor, 1 G RAM and a 160 GB, 7200 hard drive. I am hooked up to a server.

The first 3 or 4 days the computers were set-up, they worked slick. But, now they are EXTREMELY SLUGGISH. I am moving jpeg photo files around. When I copy from the Bridge to another folder on my hard drive or cd or on the server, it takes forever. It takes up to an hour to copy 30 photos from one spot to another.

In Photoshop, it takes forever to even open a document. The documents look faded, like the monitor is having trouble refreshing. Effects don’t work properly, etc.

Do I need to purge the cache in the Bridge? I really don’t understand how that works. Our tech guy has no idea what to do, but is blaming the software.

HELP!!!! I’m a Mac person by default and really don’t know my way around PCs, but I think this troubleshooting is going to be up to me.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
BLUDVLZ
Oct 25, 2005
Skippy or JIF? It makes a difference. Creamy or extra crunchy?

Some initial thoughts and things your can try…
1] Make sure you’re not using the server as a scratch disk. 2] If you’re working directly off the server, copy the file to your desktop first and work on it locally. (Could be that the server is experiencing bandwidth issues. If a lot of people are tasking it at once, that could affect performance. Is there a time of day, say after normal business hours that the computers/servers run faster?)
3] Search for all *.tmp and *.dmp files and delete them from your computer. 4] Clean out your Windows Prefetch folder.
5] Defrag the hard drive.
6] Rebuild your preferences, per the FAQ.
7] Partition your hard drive and set your scratch disks to something other than your Startup (C:) drive.
8] Don’t have a great deal of fonts installed (only those you regularly/absolutely need). A font management system can help in this regard.
9] Keep your installed plugins to a necessary minimum (only the base + whatever you regularly use). 10] Check your video drivers to make sure they’re current (to address your display issues); if they are, then try rolling back to an earlier version.
11] It’s possible that you have an iffy power supply on your machine and that *could* affect your system’s performance (if the problem is present on all computers, then probably not).
12] Bridge is an additional draw on your computer resources, I’d suggest using it only when/if necessary.

As I said, just a few things to try. Write back and let us all know if anything works, or if you have any further info to help us troubleshoot.

….

I hope you didn’t have Mr. Rogers making your peanut butter… I remember when he did that on an episode by smashing peanuts (shells and all) and sprinkling them into a tub of butter, and mixing the two together. You might want to check inside your casing for peanut shells… just a thought.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 25, 2005
In addition to BLUDVLZ’s excellent checklist, make sure your default printer is local and not on the network. If it is make a local or dummy printer the default.
L
LenHewitt
Oct 26, 2005
Also, there is a separate forum for Bridge questions:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bba3d54

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections