WE
Posted By
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A while back we were talking about the best way to save web tutorials so that they could be done off-line. One of the ways suggested (and the one I have been using) was do file>save as. Now this worked fine for me when I was using Explorer but I have recently changed over to Safari and when I do file>save as … I get the text saved but no pictures!! Not a lot of us for doing a tutorial. πŸ™‚

So I need help from fellow Safari users … is it how Safari works or is it me doing something wrong?

Wendy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 7, 2004
I doubt this will solve the problem but in the absence of other solutions, go to Preferences>General, and make sure you have open ‘safe’ files checked. I can’t really come up with any other ideas at the moment.
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 7, 2004
Wendy,

Using IE6 on a PC, the process is to File > Save As and choose "Web archive, single file" from the "save as type" option.

I have no idea if this corresponds to Safari.

Byron
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 7, 2004
Netscape or IE will save everything just as you want, but make sure you don’t choose text, choose Source.
No problem with either, sorry I can’t tell you about the new browsers capablilties, as I don’t use them as yet.
Use the new ones to surf and play with, and use the old ones for important stuff. You can have as many browsers on your computer as you want.

Speaking of great tutorials, I must get back to that really neat FIRE one, as I still haven’t been able to complete it correctly. It is one of my favourites, and I wlll continue to work on it. Fun stuff!!
Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 7, 2004
Mark … I have already made sure that it is checked … this one really has me confused.

Byron … thanks for the suggestion but Safari is slightly different and doesn’t seem to work the usual way. Still I won’t give up!!

Jane … I have switched back to Explorer to save Tuts and am using Safari now for everything else. Its quite good and at least I know that Apple will be supporting it for the future. I have also ditched Outlook Express in favour of Mail as I wanted to get away from having to load OX9. By the time you change over all the problems should be sorted out πŸ™‚ Where do you keep getting stuck on the fire tutorial?

Wendy
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 7, 2004
You know, there is something in that FIRE tut that I keep doing wrong, something that I keep missing.
I am going to start with the very beginning and do it all over again. Sometimes when I think that I have something all figured out, there is one little thing that eludes me. That is what I get when I get overconfident with PSE.
I will leave it alone for a few days, and go back to scratch, as this is one that I really want to understand.
This will be a good week to catch up on my PSE projects, as it will be quiet around here(I hope) I will FIRE it up Thursday morning!

Forgot to say, that I never have used Outlook Express, always used the Netscape mail. It seems to be easier.
Jane
B
buz
Jan 7, 2004
what’s the link for the fire tut Jane?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 7, 2004
Buz, here’s the tute…I think….it’s been a while but my memory tells me these were the same steps.

<http://www.martinity.com/html/tutorials/fire/fire.htm>
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 7, 2004
Here’s another tutorial for fire… this is the one shared by Wendy (I think) a couple months ago:

http://www.photoshoptechniques.com/texp/fireptk.php
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 7, 2004
Hi Jodi, Thank you for the other FIRE tut! Now, between both of them, I will probably be able to complete it.
Gonna work on it after weve walked the dogs,
I love these neat tuts! Keep em coming, Thanks,
Jane
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 7, 2004
Wendy,

You may have better luck on the Apple forums, Safari discussions to get help with your problem.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 7, 2004
Hi Mark,

Yes I think you are right … I will let you know how I go on ….

Jane …. let me know how the fire TUT progresses

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 7, 2004
Yes Jane, do post your results ! I’m looking forward to reading " I did it ! " …on your next post πŸ™‚
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 7, 2004
OK, here is as far as I have gotten with the original tut, <http://www.pbase.com/image/24916425>
And here is the second one Jodi gave the URL for,
<http://www.pbase.com/image/24916426>
This is fun, and I am getting closer and closer.
Thanks, I love these tuts, and I find that as I learn, I go back to them and can do so much better! Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 7, 2004
YAY you did it ! Great work !!!
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 7, 2004
Soooooo much fun!
I can hardly remember back last March when I got PSE for my birthday and I barely could figure anything out.
Now I spend hours a day having fun with it! Addictive, oh yes indeed. And thanks to you all here, I sure have learned a lot.
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 7, 2004
Nice job, Jane. I have to go back to those two, as well and try again.

Dick
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 7, 2004
Hey Jane,

You are doing so well … they are really good. See we told you that you could do it πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

I just love the fire tutorials, the images seem so life like.

Ummm … now what can we do next!!!!
Wendy
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 8, 2004
I think that Janee has some great tuts, but I haven’t had time to look recently. Barbara Wayne has some awesome things on her website done with PSE,,,,,,,,,, Some of our people here have great tuts too,,,,,,
Keep ’em coming!

My husband says that I am doing very well, but complains that I spend a lot of time in my ‘computer cave’, but you know that if it is 20ΒΊ and windy out, than lets be inside the house. He’s got the wood stove going so the house is at least 75ΒΊ.
And he is the one who bought PSE for me a year ago for my birthday, so he is the culprit, not the weatherman, But the neat thing is that he is becoming very interested in photography and PSE.
Perhaps another convert? I am working on him,,,,,, my brother too,,,,, Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 8, 2004
Jane,

I’m trying out a couple of tutorials at the moment … if they are any good I will let you know.

Wendy
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 10, 2004
Mark,

I went over to the Apple forum and someone on the Safari section told me that Safari does not save the pictures in webpages as it only saves "html" …. he headed me in the direction of Camino which is able to save "html complete" and I can now save tutorials :).

Shame that Safari won’t do it and a total pain having to switch web browsers just to save intact webpages. Still it is worth it to be able to do offline tutorials.

Wendy
PA
Patti_Anderson
Jan 10, 2004
Wendy, an alternative would be to use the full version of Acrobat (or an equivalent). I usually use this to save tutorials, etc. even though I could save it from IE. I do a print preview and then choose Acrobat Distiller as the printer and it creates a pdf file. Printing on paper is optional and would be done from Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.

If you don’t have Acrobat there are other pdf converters available. PDF995 is a good one.

Patti
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 10, 2004
Wendy, if you want to use Safari (I believe it doesn’t do that because of copyright issues), you can always control click the illustrations individually and select "download to disk." Or just print out the page, which is what I usually do.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 10, 2004
Patti & Barbara,

Thanks for both suggestions … I hadn’t thought of either.

I have now had a chance to give Camino a proper tryout and its speed is fantastic so I think I will stick with it. I was amazed at just how quick it saves the webpages.

Thanks everyone
Wendy
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 10, 2004
Wendy,

I have been using Camino (formerly Chimera) for a couple of years and only started using Safari with my recent upgrade to OS 10.3. I keep both browsers open. They both seem about equal in speed. If one browser is not cooperating, I simply switch over to the other one. Opera, by the way, is a very feature rich browser but it comes with an annoying banner ad for the unpaid version.
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 10, 2004
I keep several browsers open too, and if one dislikes a site and chokes on it, I just use another. I love old Netscape 4.75 as I use its mail exclusively, and IE, and use NS 7.1 to kill the pop up ads; but I would like to have ONE browser which would do all this. I still use OS 9.2.2.
Jane
SS
Susan_S.
Jan 10, 2004
I really liked Camino – it’s very fast (faster than safari on a G3) and will work on my bank’s internet banking – which Safari won’t. But there are some bugs in it still – more than Safari. There are a couple of sites that I visit regularly that bring it down totally – and it has trouble with some flash-heavy sites and javascripts too. So I’m using mainly Safari. I’d like to use just one browser really!
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 11, 2004
Hey, Jane,

Here’s one to try that you might find fills the bill, Mozilla 1.5.

I love it and after I found the problem that kept me from viewing the challenges I back to being a happy camper.

You can download Mozilla at mozill.org.

Dick
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 11, 2004
Dick,

I just downloaded the Mozilla browser, Firebird. I haven’t tried 1.5 yet but this Firebird is really fast. They have it for PC as well. You guys should check it out.
SS
Susan_S.
Jan 11, 2004
Firebird is fast, takes up very little memory, but crashed a lot on Mac 10.1.5 – I might try it again now I have Panther. (It’s such a pain moving bookmark lists from one browser to another – I lost quite a few going from IE to Firebird to Camino to Safari in the last six weeks…..)
S
squidly46
Jan 11, 2004
FYI for you Susan, the newest version of Firebird will import your favorites.. have been using it for over 5 months now, and love it… not one single pop up/slider type of popup, and along with other programs that i thought would kill Firebird off, i rarely have any cookies. http://texturizer.net/firebird/tips.html
squidly

wrote in message
Firebird is fast, takes up very little memory, but crashed a lot on Mac 10.1.5 – I might try it again now I have Panther. (It’s such a pain moving bookmark lists from one browser to another – I lost quite a few going from IE to Firebird to Camino to Safari in the last six weeks…..)

tested and scanned thru AVG
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.560 / Virus Database: 352 – Release Date: 1/8/2004
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 11, 2004
Hi Dick, I think that Mozilla 1.5 was the browser that some of my friends used while they were still using OS 9.2.2. I think that I should give it a try! Thank you.
I don’t know about moving bookmarks from one to the other, so I would probably use my old Netscape and IE for most stuff, and see how I like Moz. Then start to move stuff over.
I wonder if Moz’s mail is as good as my old Netscape.
Jane
S
Spider
Jan 11, 2004
Mozilla uses the bookmarks and mail from Netscape. You cannot open both Mozilla and Netscape at the same because of the common files they share. Ron

wrote in message
Hi Dick, I think that Mozilla 1.5 was the browser that some of my friends
used while they were still using OS 9.2.2. I think that I should give it a try! Thank you.
I don’t know about moving bookmarks from one to the other, so I would
probably use my old Netscape and IE for most stuff, and see how I like Moz. Then start to move stuff over.
I wonder if Moz’s mail is as good as my old Netscape.
Jane
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 11, 2004
I ran a test last night between Safari and Mozilla’s Firebird. I browsed through the same images on pbase in each browser and the speed difference (with my new DSL bandwidth) was quite apparent. Firebird automatically takes up IE bookmarks. Not my Safari ones.

It’s the first time I’ve been able to personally measure and observe the difference between browsers. Maybe Safari is faster on G4 iMacs but it’s not king of the browsers on my computer.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 11, 2004
Safari is faster on G4 iMacs

Runs like a slug on mine, Mark.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 12, 2004
Jane,

I don’t remember if you use a MAC or a PC. But, on my PC Mozilla automatically harvested the bookmarks from my other browsers, which were Opera and IE. After a short trial I ditched Opera again. It’s just not compatible enough with plugins and orther programs. (Opera that is)

Dick
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 12, 2004
Mac with OS 9.2.2. I really think I will stay with my Netscape and IE, at least for a while. They really do the job and my mail is flawless. I might wait till all the bugs and things that the new ones can’t deal with, are solved.
I will venture into more complicated territory when I have time and can experiment on another computer, so my main communication and classroom machine won’t be off line or troubled.

Oh aren’t I just the chicken,,,,,,I can’t make the noise that my kids do when I ‘chicken out’ on something.
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 12, 2004
No probelm with that Jane. I am a tinkerer at heart and I can screw up anything and then say "I’ll never do that again!" Know all the time that I will, anyway.

I tried Opera and Opera mail for a while but it realy didn’t do what I wanted. So I had through a lot of gymnastics to save all the emails and put them on the HD for safe keeping.

I had NS7.1 for a while as well and some of its quirks bothered me. Mozilla has proved to be a very stable performer and I do not use it’s email or newsgroup functionality. I have gone back to reading the Forum posts as they arrive, since I’m on DSL it didn’t make a lot of difference.

I have used PocoMail for my email for about three years and love it.

So, as you can see I tend to try software and see what it does. When I find a keeper then I pay the shareware fees.

What a long ramble just to say I know how you feel.

Dick
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 12, 2004
I agree! I use what I like, and put aside the stuff that I can’t get to work. Not to say that it won’t work for other people, but my system is very stable and thats what I want.
I do have a large mess of software but the best is for me to use, and will take time to try out other stuff when I have a moment.

I really should add Mozilla to my arsenal of browsers,,,,,, Jane
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 17, 2004
Hi, Wendy. You might want to read this <http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@@.688cf605> for several good suggestions for saving web pages in X.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 17, 2004
Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the link … they do have some good suggestions and Omni Web 5 sounds very promising.

I loaded Camino and that is good so much so that I am thinking of using it instead of Safari.

Regards
Wendy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections