JH
Posted By
Jon_Harwood
Aug 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having a problem with Photoshop appearing to reset its memory allocation down to the default setting of 52891 K from my preferred setting entry of 1152891 K. This will happen as I start Photoshop after starting up under OS 9 every second or third time I start Photoshop. I am clueless as to why this may be happening. I am running a Power Mac G-4 single processor 733 Mhz machine with 1.5 Gb of Ram.running system 9.2.2

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Aug 1, 2004
Have you tried trashing the Photoshop preferences file, rebuilding your desktop, running Disk First Aid or DiskWarrior? How about zapping (resetting) the PRAM?
JH
Jon_Harwood
Aug 1, 2004
Here is an interesting discovery. I seem to be able to get around the problem by starting photoshop first and then opening the document . If I click on the document without opening photoshop first the problem recurrs.

I think this points to a problem with the file exchange control panel.
R
Ram
Aug 1, 2004
Jon,

Here are some preferences files Iyou can safely trash when you’re having problems in 9.2.2 to see if that helps;

* aslm preferences
* finder preferences
* mac os preferences–if you have it
* powermgt preferences–if you have it
* system preferences
* file exchange preferences

* also trash the pref file for the offending program.

All of those files will be recreated after you restart your Mac and launch the program(s).
TR
The_Riddler
Jul 16, 2006
As far as I am aware:
4gig (in round figures) is the limit of any 32bit program. Photoshop is a 32bit program.

OSX is kind of a 32bit OS and kind of a 64 bit OS.
The PowerPC chips are 64bit (which has an upper RAM limit of 16TB), but the current Intel chips are 32bit.

As to why you can only see 1.9gig, sorry you have me here. I would be trying to completely remove all of any PS on your system (best of luck here) and reinstalling CS2.
It should see 3072mg RAM when set to 100% – mine does and I am using a Quad 8RAM OSX 10.4.7

And you will want the 9.0.1 upgrade as ther are plenty of other problems you will find that this update is meant to fix – I am just upgrading now so I do not yet know if it works.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections