Can I get my airbrush options in CS like they were in PS 5?

CS
Posted By
Claude_Saccaro
Jul 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyway to get the airbrush size options to display like it used to in PS 5 where all the brush sizes were displayed graphically in a window? This new popup menu with numerical slider in CS really sucks. I used to be able to change brush size with one click, now I have go in a popup menu and fiddle with a numeric slider with no visual reference everytime I want to change brush size. Crap.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a crappy way to do this and much less useful than before?

I looked in the preferences and didn’t find any options for tool display and such.

Any third party extensions available or anything?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 31, 2004
You can have the brushes palette open all the time. windows>brushes.

[ and ] allow you to change the size of your brush while you are painting.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 1, 2004
Use square brackets [ and ] as keyboard shortcuts to decrease or increase brush-size on the fly as you paint.

Shift square brackets change hardness and
Angle brackets < and > cycle through your Preset brushes.
P
progress
Aug 1, 2004
clicking on the value brings up the slider…but yes, its not as easy as before…i hate the way you can invoke the flyout menu with a control click, but cant get rid of it without painting or touching the keyboard.
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 1, 2004
…. or just pressing Enter.
CS
Claude_Saccaro
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks. I’ll try the square bracket shortcut and see how that goes…
P
progress
Aug 2, 2004
Doug, does your mouse have an enter key? ๐Ÿ˜‰
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 2, 2004
Wacom tablets can be programmed to have an Enter key button.

Who on earth still uses a MOUSE?!
:~)
P
progress
Aug 2, 2004
๐Ÿ˜›

i’ve been using one for over a decade Ann, i can paint just fine with it…not Da Vincis but good enough for what i do with it…if i needed a wacom i’d get one ๐Ÿ˜‰

still drives me mad to have to take my hand off the mouse to close something i openeded with it on it…
P
progress
Aug 2, 2004
oh i see it now, adobe are programming for 4 button mice these days…;)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 2, 2004
Wacom tablets have 13 programmable-buttons ย…

And you don’t have to put down or take your hand off a stylus to use the keyboard eitherย….

:~)
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 2, 2004
Yes. My mouse has an Enter key. So there. ๐Ÿ™‚
P
progress
Aug 2, 2004
dagnamit ! ๐Ÿ˜‰
P
ps1
Aug 3, 2004
…cant get rid of it without painting or touching the keyboard.

control-click to bring up the brushes palette but don’t let up on the mouse button, select your brush, the palette disappears.

J
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 3, 2004
But is he going to object to that tooย—because he has to use the Control key?

:~O
P
progress
Aug 3, 2004
nah, cos i have my 2 buttoned mouse setup for rightcligk to be control…;)

even if i didnt have that, the control key is under my left hand which dances around the modifier keys anyway…its just that enter isnt one of them

i’ll give it a go
J
JeffN
Aug 4, 2004
When I upgraded to CS from 5.5 I felt the same way as Claude. Most of use just don’t like change. I had created 5 sets of round brushes, each set was a different hardness: 0-25-50-75-100 and then created size increments starting at 1 pix up to 999 in various jumps that worked for me. Then used the F5 short-cut to pop open the brush pallet when I needed to change brush size or hardness. The pallet showed me visually which brush I wanted to pick. I also used the [ ] to make small changes is brush size.

This system worked great/fast in 5.5, but didn’t work so well in CS, I had the same issues with the brush window behavior.

With all that said; CS actually makes it easier and faster once you "change" the way you work. I was able to forget the custom made brush sizes and hardness sets, and the need to open the pallet, because now CS all ready includes those options (as posted earlier), I just use the [ ] to change my brush size, and the Shift- [ ] to change the hardness from 0-100 in 4 increments.
But change is hard ๐Ÿ˜‰

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections