T
Posted By
tripletmom04
Oct 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was just given a copy of Photoshop 6.0 and want to make a black and white collage of my triplet babies, kind of how they do at Sears. One frame with a hand, one with a face, etc. There are no instructions and this is more than what I’m used to. I’ve used simpler programs in the past. Anyone help?? Please email at

Thank you,
tripletmom04

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Oct 25, 2005
A simple search on google for tutorial, collage and photoshop reveals a host of tutorials.

< http://www.google.ca/search?hl=fr&q=tutorial+%2Bcollage+ %2Bphotoshop&btnG=Recherche+Google&meta=>
Most of them should work fine in PS6

BTW, please come back to the forum, e-mailing you would defeat the purpose which is to help others too
T
tripletmom04
Oct 25, 2005
Thanks! Yes, I saw that I can get an email whenever someone responds to me so I’ll be sure to keep coming back, lol.

tripletmom04
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 25, 2005
was just given a copy of Photoshop 6.0

PS6 Help Desk <http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/antipiracy/penalties.html >
T
tripletmom04
Oct 25, 2005
Um, just because I said "copy" doesn’t mean that someone copied it for me, lol. A copy as in a disk of it, an original.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Oct 25, 2005
triplemom04,

"Copy" can represent a legitimate product purchased in a unopened box directly from Adobe, or actually a copy of a legitimate product, making it illegitimate.

There are some folk in the forum that will jump on something like this like cats on tuna. It’s not a very friendly way of saying welcome to the forum, but then, some folk just aren’t very friendly. They like to shoot first, and not even bother with asking questions.

However, because you stated "I was was JUST GIVEN a copy…", it gives these folk an itchy trigger finger. You see, it would seem very unlikely that a person recently bought a legal, unused, uninstalled, maybe even unopened box of PS version 6. That was several years and three version ago.

The scenario is not totally impossible though. Years ago, I was given an unopened box of outdated software. Outdated and several versions old, but fine for my needs.

If the person decided they didn’t want to use it any more and gave their otherwise legal product to you, there would be some transfer of license work that would have to be done. By the way, this is something that can’t really be done if they used version 6 to upgrade to a newer version for themselves.

So you see, the comments you made will sometimes get some of the folks in here all roughed up. Not me maybe, but some. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt rather than to initially think of everyone as a no-good. But then, that’s just me.

If you have a bogus "copy" of the program, please do not use it. Purchase a real "copy". If Photoshop is cost prohibitive, consider Elements.

If you indeed have a legit copy of PS, welcome to the forum! Enjoy learning from others for free, and please share what you have learned with other… for free. 🙂
T
tripletmom04
Oct 25, 2005
A friend gave me their old Photoshop 6.0, used. Not a copy of it. They bought something better. That’s all, lol. Next time maybe they can ask first to clarify instead of sending me a link to the theft and piracy police, lol. Now, can someone help in collage making cuz I’ve tried doing a search at the site but nothing seems to come up in simple enough terms for a beginner.

tripletmom04
BL
Bob Levine
Oct 25, 2005
A friend gave me their old Photoshop 6.0, used.

Tell your friend to go to this link and follow the directions to make this legal:

http://www.adobe.com/support/salesdocs/1000554.html

They bought something better.

That’s one hell of trick.

But as already mentioned…if your friend used PS 6.0 to upgrade to a newer version, this isn’t legal.

Bob
T
tripletmom04
Oct 25, 2005
It’s not illegal to give away something. No money crossed hands. You can read off all the "fine print" you want. Anyone with common sense can tell there’s nothing wrong with it, lol. And something better than Photoshop 6.0? If something out there meets their needs better than Photoshop 6.0, be it an upgrade, downgrade, sidegrade or whatever, then it’s better for THEM. Geez, I’m really done with this "support" I’m getting from people. You people must have nothing else going on in your lives than to NOT help someone with a question and get into a silly discussion that means nothing for crying out loud, lol. Thanks for the help, lol!

tripletmom04
T
tripletmom04
Oct 25, 2005
I’m changing my subsciption so I won’t get silly emails letting me know that people want to be accusing instead of helpful. And if anyone wants to email me privately, I won’t get those either. What a loving community you have here, lol.
JO
Jim_Oblak
Oct 25, 2005
Lemme guess, are you changing your email to so that you won’t get emails? 🙂

Jumping to suspicion is rude, whether you suspect someone is using pirated software or if you suspect that this forum only contains useless posters that deserve your sarcasm. There is some love in this community.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Oct 25, 2005
Unfortunately, tripletmom04 will never feel that love in this forum. She was rudely jumped as soon as she walked through the door.

What people had to say could have been done in a far less accusing way. There are people who just don’t know all the rules about everything in the world. Perhaps she really didn’t know accepting that software was wrong. It’s up to others to gently and politely show them the ropes.

As for what she was told, she didn’t seen to understand the concept of not being able to give away a version that lead to an upgrade. Maybe she did. Maybe her friend didn’t want PS at all any more. Not likely, but maybe. Still, there is the transfer procedure to go through.

As for what she said about finding something better… Hummm. What does "better" mean? Maybe for her friend it meant less complicated. Perhaps a software product that can’t do anywhere as much, but that doesn’t have many buttons to learn.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Folk in this room can be a little (lot) more accommodating to the newbies in here.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 25, 2005
OK, there are trigger fingers which are too itchy.

But there are enough obvious users of illegal copies of software posting in here to make those regulars, who have paid a lot for legal copies, to be both resentful and suspicious.

There are also those newcomers who are genuinely unaware of the legal implications of using a friend’s copy which is no longer in use. Why should they even have asked about whether the licence is in use on later versions?

They need to have it clearly explained from the outset but not be jumped on from a great height.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Oct 25, 2005
I agree, John. I had to pay for my legit "copy" of PS, and I stand to lose as much as the next legit user in that if folk don’t pay for it, the next version has fewer new features and is more expensive.

And I also agree that if they don’t know they’re doing something wrong, it’s better to point it out, but in a friendly manner.

Gee, just think. If tripletmom04 neglected to say anything other than "I’m using PS version 6.0 and want to make…" she would have gotten help and no one would have been offended or suspicious.

When I ask how deep I need to dig the hole to hide all the plutonium I stole from the power plant, I think I’ll just ask how deep plutonium needs to be buried, and not mention how I got it. 🙂
JD
Jason_Drabek
Oct 25, 2005
tripletmom04,

You weren’t very clear about what you wanted but I suspect that it involves some feathering. The first thing to do is check the help menu. Search for ‘feather’. It should have a pretty good explanation on how to use this feature in there but if it’s still too complicated for you, feel free to come on back and ask anything you like.

Do try to be as specific as you possibly can. Some of us don’t know what you mean by "how they do at Sears". 🙂
JD
Jason_Drabek
Oct 25, 2005
Gee, just think. If tripletmom04 neglected to say anything other than "I’m using PS version 6.0 and want to make…" she would have gotten help and no one would have been offended or suspicious.

She probably read this When posting a question, always indicate which version of Photoshop and Windows you are using. and went too far into details. You’re right, it sounds suspicious when someone just up and GIVES you a copy, license (or whatever you want to call it) of an expensive program like this.
D
deebs
Oct 25, 2005
Hi triplemom04 are you still there?

Is everything hunky-dory or are the extra weights attached to this thread getting a bit bothersome and cumbersome?

If so! Never f’fear! the deebs is here!

Now that is out of the way, have a look at my message on Painter Tips thread.

I thinks the same things apply here.

One of the unfortunate consequences of some forms of training/education is to seek reassurances from "experts" It tends to be a form of conditioninh – pavlovian I think

The trick with creative arts is to seek the spark within. Or as Adobe wan Kanobe might put it: may the force be with you!

Try various approaches.

If you have broadband try www.russellbrown.com and also Google on wz2k (these are my 2 favorite sources of tutorials – you may find your own bestest bunch of tootors.)

A humble deebs

ps But please do try and please ignore the hotspots present in the Forum 8)
P
Phosphor
Oct 25, 2005
Jeebus Chrysler, Deebs…

Are you ever NOT obtuse?

Sometimes I think you should just keep your fingers off the keyboard when it’s clear that the original poster is already confused enough. You talk about extra weights? Your "advice" often makes my brain feel like it’s supporting the weight of the Aswan Dam, and I know what the heck I’m doing.
D
deebs
Oct 25, 2005
Why do you take so much offense at a view that differs from your own?
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 25, 2005
deebs

we know your advice is well meant but it seems you have an impetus to post philosophical (and I use the term loosely) ponderings when what is needed is concrete advice.

Your lateral thinking approach to creativity is laudable, even if it isn’t always understandable, but a person can’t be creative in a medium until they have learned (no, mastered) the tools, be they software or paintbrushes.

….and for god’s sake stop saying IMHO – those keys must have the letters worn off on your keyboard!

Don’t take offence; just try and be more constructive in your advice!
D
deebs
Oct 25, 2005
Why? It is important to explore inner creativity – gurus make a living at such
P
Phosphor
Oct 25, 2005
Gurus are also notable for their ability to communicate effectively.
D
deebs
Oct 25, 2005
Implying?
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 25, 2005
Jeez! Was it something I said?!!

This thread reminds me of those old westerns where one person says something out of line and the next thing the whole saloon bar is wrecked – with everybody thumping everybody else!

Thomas: I just looked in this morning and didn’t have time for niceties. I’m sorry but "I was just given a copy of PS6" to me, says: "I’m using a pirated copy".

Tripletmom04/05/06…: If you did indeed manage to get hold of a legitimate five year old copy of Photoshop and/or have had the licence transferred to you, then I apologize unreservedly for "jumping on it like cats on tuna".

If you didn’t, and you like Photoshop enough to want to continue using it, then I do hope you will take the legitimate route. That way you will enjoy the benefit of free advice from the forum regulars here who have paid good money to own this superb program.

For what it’s worth, many legitimate Photoshop users had their first experience on an "acquired copy". So if you do go legit you’ll be in good company and will be most welcome here. <nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more>
<grin>

Chris.
<ducking under the table>
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 25, 2005
Gurus are also notable for their ability to communicate effectively.

Implying?

deebs, pal, you don’t.

Sorry, but its true. You have become a sort of forum "character" but most of the time you leave people scratching their heeds in bafflement.

Don’t worry, keep trying. We love you really. 🙂
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 25, 2005
<removing stetson and peering from under the table into the smoke and dust-filled room>
J
johnkissane3
Oct 26, 2005
For what it’s worth, many legitimate Photoshop users had their first experience on an "acquired copy".

So true, but never discussed.

The rest is mental masturbation. 🙂
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Oct 26, 2005
No intent to whip our the old six shooters on my part, Chris, so you can crawl out from under the table before you injure you back. 🙂

I think we’re both from the same camp. We both know some folk use a hot copy of software (PS or any other for that matter) for evaluational purposes. Also, these folk (hopefully) soon either like it and buy it, or don’t like it and remove it from their machines.

We both also know Adobe has graced folk with a 30-day period to try the fully operational version of some of their products.

My comments were aimed at you directly, but more to the group as a whole. It’d be nice to educate those who don’t know the rules in a more friendly way. I think terming the link to the piracy page as "PS6 Help Desk" was a little over the edge.

For what it’s worth, I have read some of the threads in this forum, but didn’t reply due to time constraints. I wanted to be sure I said what I wanted to say without offending others. After all, we’re all here to help each other and learn from each other without arguing, right? I just wait until I have more time. often times by then, someone else has already replied in a manner similar to what I would have said.
TI
Thomas_Ireland
Oct 26, 2005
No intent to whip our the old six shooters on my part, Chris, so you can crawl out from under the table before you injure you back. 🙂

I think we’re both from the same camp. We both know some folk use a hot copy of software (PS or any other for that matter) for "evaluation" purposes. Also, these folk (hopefully) soon either like it and buy it, or don’t like it and remove it from their machines.

We both also know Adobe has graced folk with a 30-day period to try the fully operational version of some of their products.

My comments were aimed at you directly, but more to the group as a whole. It’d be nice to educate those who don’t know the rules in a more friendly way. I think terming the link to the piracy page as "PS6 Help Desk" was a little over the edge.

For what it’s worth, I have read some of the threads in this forum, but didn’t reply due to time constraints. I wanted to be sure I said what I wanted to say without offending others. After all, we’re all here to help each other and learn from each other without arguing, right? I just wait until I have more time. often times by then, someone else has already replied in a manner similar to what I would have said.

So like I said. No malice toward you directly in my comments. Stand up, knock the dirt off your chaps, and belly up to the bar. I’ll buy you a drink. But take you Stetson off. There may be ladies present.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 26, 2005
Set em up, bartender!
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Oct 26, 2005
blimey, calm down girls, worse things happen at sea.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 26, 2005
calm down girls

<deathly hush falls over the saloon bar>
<pianee stops playing, leaving just the rustle of tumbleweed being blown past the swing doors>
<all eyes are focussed nervously on the stranger who’s jest rode into town>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections