MR
Posted By
mark_r_patterson
Oct 24, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been noticing problems with RAM & CS2 (all PS problems) and have been watching it closely. What is happening is that when PS does an action- anything- it adds to the cumulative RAM used in the session but never free’s it. When it gets to about 1.7 gigs it refuses to do anything else, which is rather inconvenient if I have not saved my files after every action. Error message is INSUFFICIENT RAM AVAILABLE.

I’ve never encountered a situation like this and don’t know how to handle it. Advice and/or comments will be most welcome. It is not a hardware problem- this system is clean & fast. Relevant system spec’s…

AMD 64 3800+ Venice 939
2 gigs OCZ Platinum low latency RAM
ASUS mobo A8N-SLI Premium
ATI 700XL
XP Pro

PS is set up for 55% of RAM and has paging files set up in preferences on two separate internal HD’s plus another on the C: drive. While there are hundreds of gigs available for scratch disks and memory storage isn’t a problem- I still can’t understand why there are huge – mega gigs- PS paging files on all of the drives even with PS shut down.

Most perplexing…

-Mark.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 24, 2005
Mark – that’s correct. Photoshop uses memory up to the limit you set in preferences, and then stops. But it doesn’t free memory.

And what are you doing that gets an insufficient RAM message?

Photoshop normally reuses the RAM is has allocated and doesn’t just run out…. But there are some plugin filters that are a bit greedy about their RAM usage.

And if there are PS scratchfiles left after quitting, it means that you crashed previously (leaving the files on disk) and for some reason Photoshop couldn’t clean up the files when you next launched.
MR
mark_r_patterson
Oct 24, 2005
Thanks Chris,

I could be doing anything…when it hits the magic number it quits. I have a dual head video card and watch the ram/cpu usage of all running apps/processes on a second monitor while I’m working- til I get thru this..

Whatever I do in PS- it adds to the RAM committment. A little for a text edit, a little for a save, a little to make a new layer, a lot to open a big file, etc. It just keeps climbing but never backs down.

I use PSCS2 on a university network computer as well. It only has a half gig or RAM and is a much older AMD but I never have a problem there doing the same work on the same files…this personal system at home should breeze thru the work but…

-Mark.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 24, 2005
Photoshop shouldn’t quit, and it doesn’t just run out of RAM.

You have to be doing something specific even to get that kind of message.

Yes, as I already said: Photoshop does go up to the limit set in preferences, and does not release memory back to the OS — that’s perfectly normal.

But quitting or "out of RAM" messages are not normal.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 24, 2005
Maybe you should (after exiting Photoshop) delete all of those Photoshop scratch/paging files and delete your preference file for good measure. See if the problem persists.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 24, 2005
and what’s your ram percentage set to in photoshop? 1.7 gig is your app hitting or getting close to the 2 gig max / application barrier, that’s why things slow or stop around there.

set mem usage in photoshop to around 55% if you’ve currently got it cranked up.
MR
mark_r_patterson
Oct 24, 2005
Thanks Dave.

The problem is that accumulated RAM useage is not recycled. By the time it hits the wall, I may only have a very small file open and be doing nothing major to it.

There is a RAM charge associated with every action, i.e. 10 megs for a save and so on. Once committed- it is gone for PS and all other apps.

-Mark.
PB
Paul_Budzik
Oct 24, 2005
You might want to try setting just one Photoshop paging file on a second physical drive and definately eliminate that page file on C. I think if you page to the same disk that has your Windows swap file, you will only see a decrease in performance.

What are your Windows virtual memory settings? In addition to the above, try simply setting virtual memory at min 4096, max 4096 on your C:. Keep it simple and see what happens. I thought I had read a recommendation that Windows needs to have at least one swap file on C:, Also, XP pro can only address 4 gig of memory so exceeding the 4096 is useless.

If you haven’t done so, in Photoshop, reduce your History States to 10 and lower your Cache to 4

I’m using the same board that you are with a 4000 San Diego and 4 gig of Corsair Xtreme and I’m not seeing what your seeing.
MR
mark_r_patterson
Oct 24, 2005
Thanks Paul.

I read about the history states last nite and discovered that each state saves a complete image file- which I didn’t know and naturally had it maxed out. I reset last nite.

I’ll take the C: scratch disk out. Windows VM is set for 4096 min/max. I’ll lower the cache as well and see what happens today.

-Mark.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 24, 2005
The problem is that accumulated RAM useage is not recycled. By the time it hits the wall, I may only have a very small file open and be doing nothing major to it.

that’s not a problem, it’s by design. ps will use up to the max you allocate. it doesn’t release until you close the app. this has the effect of making hte program run faster as it has contiguous memory and isn’t constantly allocating/deallocating memory.

again, what’s the ram allocation in ps’s prefrences? have you tried lowering it to around 55% as i suggested? lowering the ram allocation for ps may allow some plugins that have to work inside the 2 gig app boundry to complete without crashing your system or photoshop.
L
LenHewitt
Oct 24, 2005
Mark,

Windows VM is set for 4096 min/max.<<

That suggests your machine has 2 gids of RAM installed – which, if so, means you have Photoshop’s Memory Allocation set to 100%.

That WILL cause you problems, from poor performance to lock-ups! BACK IT OFF TO 55%!
MR
mark_r_patterson
Oct 24, 2005
Hi Dave,

I’ve lowered the RAM to 55%, cut history states to 10, cut cache to 4, used the two internals other than C: for scratch disks, allocated 4096-4096 for virtual memory and I’m hoping for the best when I get into my PS work today.

Is there a setting that I’m missing?

With 2 gigs of physical RAM, is there any need to set the xp 3gb switch to allow more use of VM or is the switch purely for the hard ram?

-Mark.
PB
Paul_Budzik
Oct 24, 2005
No you don’t set the 3 gig switch. All that does is allow an application to access 3 gig and you only have two which really is optimal for Win XP pro 32.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 27, 2005
The memory IS recycled inside Photoshop.

But once Photoshop has allocated the memory, it won’t let it go – it just keeps reusing it.

Also, history states do not save files, and do not save the whole document – just whatever bits changed between history states.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections