scanning issue – deadline coming – HELP!

MH
Posted By
Mike_Hagedorn
Jul 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all –
Sorry for the urgent tone of this post but I need help and I need it fast.

A black halftone image I’m scanning and outputting to metal printing plates (via the Creo Prinergy system) is coming up with "dot patterns" on it. Meaning, after scanning directly into Photoshop and viewing at "fit to screen" viewing, a noticeable criss-cross pattern is developing, due to (I think) a resolution issue.

I’ve scanning the pic at various resolutions (300 to 2400 dpi) at both "whole" values (rounded to the hundredth) and at "uneven" values (like say, 299 or 2399) and outputting the plates at 150 lpi (best for our printer) and 133, with negative results. All it seems I’m doing is changing the size of the pattern, and nothing else.

For the rest of my setup, I’m also using Quark 6 on Mac 10.3 to write the PS files. Thanks in advance to any responders.
M

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 29, 2004
Moiré?

Try placing the original on the scanner at an angle of 15°.
GB
g_ballard
Jul 29, 2004
You are scanning a halftone image and seeing dot patterns in Photoshop?

That would be normal, minimize with scanners descreening feature…

View at 100% Actual Pixels to evaluate…
PF
Peter_Figen
Jul 29, 2004
In addition to Ann’s great suggestion, scan at the scanner’s highest optical resolution with no sharpening, then after opening the image in PS, apply a generous amount of Gaussian Blur, enough to pretty much obliterate the halftone pattern, add a good amount of Noise, say, between 5 and 10 percent, and finally sample down to the size you need for output. You may need to apply some sharpening at the very end.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 29, 2004
That,.. or scan as line work (no tones) at 2400ppi.
(view on screen at 100%)
MH
Mike_Hagedorn
Jul 29, 2004
Thanks to all that helped. What ended up working was Peter’s idea, so to him goes the blue ribbon.

Again, thanks, the deadline has been met and I still get to keep my job. M
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 29, 2004
No fair! 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections