R
Posted By
Rgreen
Oct 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Like many who have reported, CS2 seems to stutter and stammer in performance. I implemented many of the suggestions from this forum and they helped. For example, I set my image cache to 2, and memory allocation to 65%. However, what really made a difference was the removal of about 300 fonts and most filters that were not being used. After doing that, CS2 started "popping" upon opening. And, as soon as I opened a large RAW image, I could immediately start using all the tools. Before, I was waiting for as long as 10 seconds before I could click on them and get a response.

I hope this might help some. I suspect that for you who are professional graphic artists, removing the fonts or filters may not be an option. Anyway, the above made a major difference for me.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 23, 2005
The filters don’t make a difference – they’re not loaded until they’re used.

But the fonts can make a difference at launch, since it takes a little while to create all the font previews after launch (it happens in the background, and might cause some stutter for the first minute of use).

But if fonts were causing 10 second pauses, there is something wrong. We’d love to get samples of fonts that cause delays like that (because they’re most likely corrupt and causing all sorts of errors internally).
R
Rgreen
Oct 23, 2005
Hi Chris. I agree that the filters are not loaded till they are used but aren’t they registered at intialization? I am asking, not asserting a fact. If so, wouldn’t that cause a start up? Also, with regards to the fonts, it was my understanding that having a large number installed in Windows can degrade overall system performance by chewing up resources? In any case, I just wanted to report what I did and it seemed to help my situation. I suspect the root cause was addressed by tackling all the actions I took, eh?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 23, 2005
The first time Photoshop launches it gets a list of the plugins and information about them. Every launch after that, it just checks to make sure nothing has been added or deleted.

If you have a lot of plugins, that can extend the launch time, but it has no impact after the UI is up.

Yes, having a large number of fonts does seem to cause problems for Windows. AND it takes longer for Photoshop to generate the previews.

But you shouldn’t notice the preview generation time unless something is wrong with a font.

Yes, in your case it sounds like the cause may have been a bad font (and I’d love to know which font(s)).
R
Rgreen
Oct 23, 2005
I would love to send you something! However, I removed (deleted) about 300 and I did not trap which ones they were. Any suggestions? I will say, many were from when I installed Corel (that’s probably a dirty word here, eh?). I will say in the past, I have removed some because it was causing crashes pre Win2k.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 23, 2005
Oh, well.

We’ll try installing all the Corel fonts and see if we can reproduce the slowdown.
R
Rgreen
Oct 23, 2005
Our versions is Corel 7 if that helps? Also, if needed, I could copy all the fonts to a disk and mail it to you as well? Curious, is it possible that the font became corrupted over time but the original is still viable?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 23, 2005
Yes, it’s possible that a font file was corrupted on disk after it was installed.

I think we’ve got all the major Corel releases here to test with — thanks.
R
Rgreen
Oct 23, 2005
If interested in feedback, I just loaded a 3 meg jpeg file by double-clicking on it from Windows Explorer (CS2 was not open). It took 11.7 seconds to load CS2 and be use the slider on Navigator. Now, when I go to select another tool, there is no delay in accessing it.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 23, 2005
I just wish we could solve all the performance problems that people are seeing that easily…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections