Posted By
Jonathan_Lewis
Oct 21, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

I’ve been using PSCS2 for several months now, and aside from some slight slowness on my computer, I haven’t had any significant problems. However, I’ve encountered a problem today that I have no idea how to fix.

I’m working on an image that is going to be posted online. The Photoshop file size is very small (under 1MB). I needed to crop the image slightly, but when I tried to do so, it told me that my scratch disk was full. I’ve got 55 gig spare on my scratch drive, so I thought that was kind of odd that working on such a small image would fill it up. I went to My Computer and checked the drive that I have set up as the scratch disk, and found that there was a Photoshop temp file that was over 50 gig. I’ve tried opening other small files and have found that they’re also creating huge temp files (100MB+).

Obviously I’m not able to get any work done with this happenening. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this problem, and what I can do about it?

Thanks,
Jonathan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 21, 2005
You set a target size and resolution in the crop tool that results in a HUGE file. Check the options you entered in the crop tool options bar.
JL
Jonathan_Lewis
Oct 21, 2005
It could be that I had accidentally set the target size at 600 inches instead of pixels. In the meantime, however, while I was waiting for an answer here, I deleted my preferences file. After I saw your answer, Chris, I reopened the image, entered 600 inches for the target width (instead of pixels) and tried to crop the image. Sure enough, it told me that I didn’t have enough space on my scratch disk. The odd thing, however, is that since deleting my preferences, it’s not creating the huge temp files. Earlier today it was creating the large temp files before I even tried to use the crop tool. Oh well, whatever the problem was, it’s fixed now. Thanks for your reply, Chris.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 21, 2005
It created the huge temp file because it was trying to create the huge image you asked it to create, and then ran out of disk space.

Unless you’re creating big documents, LOTS of documents, or have way too many presets loaded – the initial size of the tempfile shouldn’t be that big.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections