Posted By
Warren Sarle
Aug 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
"medez_p" wrote in message
Just downloaded the trial version of PS7. Have never tried before. What I can’t seem to find is there is no standard toolbar on the top that has undo/redo, open file, save file, new document, etc type of icons – the
usual
sets of icons that most graphics or other packages have. Sure I can Ctrl-Z etc but I personally find it annoying though I am sure others love it.
Is there any way to get these toolbars or it’s just not available in PhotoShop? A program this expensive and no standard tool bar is hard for
me
to believe. I am sure I am missing something.

Get Photoshop Elements. It’s much cheaper and has the toolbar you want.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
MCL
Aug 23, 2003
In news:, medez_p deftly typed:
Just downloaded the trial version of PS7. Have never tried before. What I can’t seem to find is there is no standard toolbar on the top that has undo/redo, open file, save file, new document, etc type of icons – the usual sets of icons that most graphics or other packages have. Sure I can Ctrl-Z etc but I personally find it annoying though I am sure others love it.

Is there any way to get these toolbars or it’s just not available in PhotoShop? A program this expensive and no standard tool bar is hard for me to believe. I am sure I am missing something.

Any hint is appreciated

Paul

Most Adobe professional products have this weird kind of interface (no regular toolbars but these floating, undockable "tools palettes"); it takes quite a long while to get used to, but in the case of Photoshop at least, it’s worth it. Beside, you’ll soon learn that hiding theses palettes and working with keyboard shortcut is much more efficient.

Martin.
"The known is finite, The unknown infinite"
T.H.Huxley
B
ben-dover
Aug 23, 2003
not to mention your not missing much because the last free photoshop download i saw didnt let you save anything you created anyways. the save was disabled.
"MCL" wrote in message
Just downloaded the trial version of PS7. Have never tried before. What I can’t seem to find is there is no standard toolbar on the top that has undo/redo, open file, save file, new document, etc type of icons – the usual sets of icons that most graphics or other packages have. Sure I can Ctrl-Z etc but I personally find it annoying though I am sure others love it.

Is there any way to get these toolbars or it’s just not available in PhotoShop? A program this expensive and no standard tool bar is hard for me to believe. I am sure I am missing something.

Any hint is appreciated

Paul

Most Adobe professional products have this weird kind of interface (no regular toolbars but these floating, undockable "tools palettes"); it takes quite a long while to get used to, but in the case of Photoshop at least, it’s worth it. Beside, you’ll soon learn that hiding theses palettes and working with keyboard shortcut is much more efficient.

Martin.
T.H.Huxley
Thanks Martin, I agree. Anyway, despite all the hype about this program I think I’ll stick with Fireworks and Paintshop Pro. With these two, along with a host of other much-less-expensive graphic packages, I think I can
do
without PS. Nothing against the die-hard users of PS, just my personal
view
and not meant to offend anyone in this group.

Paul

D
David
Aug 23, 2003
Is it the File/Edit/View menu you’re looking for? It should be there. It might have loaded in full screen mode (i.e. minus the toolbars) – try hitting F once or twice to cycle through the three alternates.

Personally i use ‘Easy Interface for PS’ combined with Full Screen Mode – this even hides the palettes when I’m not using them 🙂

David

———————————-
http://www.digital-conceptions.com

Not true. I just tested it and it works fine – save, save as, and save for web – all three work as expected. I downloaded the program about a week
ago
and unless they changed it since then, it works for me.

Paul

"ben-dover" <http://www.gilligan@theisle> wrote in message
not to mention your not missing much because the last free photoshop download i saw didnt let you save anything you created anyways. the save
was
disabled.
"MCL" wrote in message
Just downloaded the trial version of PS7. Have never tried before. What I can’t seem to find is there is no standard toolbar on the
that has undo/redo, open file, save file, new document, etc type
of
icons – the usual sets of icons that most graphics or other
packages
have. Sure I can Ctrl-Z etc but I personally find it annoying
though
I am sure others love it.

Is there any way to get these toolbars or it’s just not available
in
PhotoShop? A program this expensive and no standard tool bar is
hard
for me to believe. I am sure I am missing something.

Any hint is appreciated

Paul

Most Adobe professional products have this weird kind of interface
(no
regular toolbars but these floating, undockable "tools palettes");
it
takes quite a long while to get used to, but in the case of
Photoshop
at
least, it’s worth it. Beside, you’ll soon learn that hiding theses palettes and working with keyboard shortcut is much more efficient.

Martin.
T.H.Huxley
Thanks Martin, I agree. Anyway, despite all the hype about this
program
I
think I’ll stick with Fireworks and Paintshop Pro. With these two,
along
with a host of other much-less-expensive graphic packages, I think I
can
do
without PS. Nothing against the die-hard users of PS, just my personal
view

Paul

MP
medez_p
Aug 23, 2003
"Warren Sarle" wrote in message
Just downloaded the trial version of PS7. Have never tried before. What
I
can’t seem to find is there is no standard toolbar on the top that has undo/redo, open file, save file, new document, etc type of icons – the
usual
sets of icons that most graphics or other packages have. Sure I can
Ctrl-Z
etc but I personally find it annoying though I am sure others love it.
Is there any way to get these toolbars or it’s just not available in PhotoShop? A program this expensive and no standard tool bar is hard for
me

I do have PhotoShop Element, but that still doesn’t make any sense for not having the standard toolbar in PS. If they could provide tons of floating boxes occupying every single pixel of the screen that can be turned on or off, a regular toolbar would not have exactly made this program "un-usable" for the PS "pros", IMHO.

Thanks anyway,

Paul
MP
medez_p
Aug 23, 2003
"MCL" wrote in message

Any hint is appreciated

Paul

Martin.
T.H.Huxley
Thanks Martin, I agree. Anyway, despite all the hype about this program I think I’ll stick with Fireworks and Paintshop Pro. With these two, along with a host of other much-less-expensive graphic packages, I think I can do without PS. Nothing against the die-hard users of PS, just my personal view and not meant to offend anyone in this group.

Paul
MP
medez_p
Aug 23, 2003
Thanks David, but no that’s not what I was looking for. Those are the menu items that are visible on my computer as well. I am talking about the toolbars (with a set of icons for a new image, save file, multiple undo/redo etc.). Adobe apparently assumed they were not needed and people will eventually get used to it without them anyway. And it looks like people did!

Paul

"David" wrote in message
Is it the File/Edit/View menu you’re looking for? It should be there. It might have loaded in full screen mode (i.e. minus the toolbars) – try hitting F once or twice to cycle through the three alternates.
Personally i use ‘Easy Interface for PS’ combined with Full Screen Mode – this even hides the palettes when I’m not using them 🙂

David

———————————-
http://www.digital-conceptions.com

Not true. I just tested it and it works fine – save, save as, and save
for
web – all three work as expected. I downloaded the program about a week
ago
and unless they changed it since then, it works for me.

Paul

not to mention your not missing much because the last free photoshop download i saw didnt let you save anything you created anyways. the
save
was
disabled.
"MCL" wrote in message
Just downloaded the trial version of PS7. Have never tried
before.
What I can’t seem to find is there is no standard toolbar on the
that has undo/redo, open file, save file, new document, etc type
of
icons – the usual sets of icons that most graphics or other
packages
have. Sure I can Ctrl-Z etc but I personally find it annoying
though
I am sure others love it.

Is there any way to get these toolbars or it’s just not
available
in
PhotoShop? A program this expensive and no standard tool bar is
hard
for me to believe. I am sure I am missing something.

Any hint is appreciated

Paul

Most Adobe professional products have this weird kind of interface
(no
regular toolbars but these floating, undockable "tools palettes");
it
takes quite a long while to get used to, but in the case of
Photoshop
at
least, it’s worth it. Beside, you’ll soon learn that hiding theses palettes and working with keyboard shortcut is much more
efficient.

Martin.
T.H.Huxley
Thanks Martin, I agree. Anyway, despite all the hype about this
program
I
think I’ll stick with Fireworks and Paintshop Pro. With these two,
along
with a host of other much-less-expensive graphic packages, I think I
can
do
without PS. Nothing against the die-hard users of PS, just my
personal
view

Paul

E
edjh
Aug 23, 2003
medez_p wrote:
Thanks David, but no that’s not what I was looking for. Those are the menu items that are visible on my computer as well. I am talking about the toolbars (with a set of icons for a new image, save file, multiple undo/redo etc.). Adobe apparently assumed they were not needed and people will eventually get used to it without them anyway. And it looks like people did!

Never had them and in my opinion doesn’t need them. When I encounter that in apps I always turn it off.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
B
ben-dover
Aug 23, 2003
yep all i need is a nother palette taking up the space and doing everything thats already in the dropdown menu’s.
"edjh" wrote in message
medez_p wrote:
Thanks David, but no that’s not what I was looking for. Those are the
menu
items that are visible on my computer as well. I am talking about the toolbars (with a set of icons for a new image, save file, multiple
undo/redo
etc.). Adobe apparently assumed they were not needed and people will eventually get used to it without them anyway. And it looks like people
did!

Never had them and in my opinion doesn’t need them. When I encounter that in apps I always turn it off.

MP
medez_p
Aug 24, 2003
Ok, so Microsoft Office and most other programs are wrong in including a toolbar of commonly-used commands with options to customize or even turn them off, despite the fact that these same commands are also available from the drop down menus.

I know I can’t convince you but you will also never convince me that these toolbars are useless or these toolbars will somehow restrict the artistic genius in the PhotoShop user.

If pressing F could magically make all the open palettes disappear, it could also send the toolbar into oblivion. I don’t see what’s the big deal about it if it could provide some convenience to a newbie like me while giving an option to turn it off for pros like you.

Paul

yep all i need is a nother palette taking up the space and doing
everything
thats already in the dropdown menu’s.
"edjh" wrote in message
medez_p wrote:
Thanks David, but no that’s not what I was looking for. Those are the
menu
items that are visible on my computer as well. I am talking about the toolbars (with a set of icons for a new image, save file, multiple
undo/redo
etc.). Adobe apparently assumed they were not needed and people will eventually get used to it without them anyway. And it looks like
people
did!

M
MCL
Aug 24, 2003
Ok, so Microsoft Office and most other programs are wrong in including a toolbar of commonly-used commands with options to customize or even turn them off, despite the fact that these same commands are also available from the drop down menus.

I know I can’t convince you but you will also never convince me that these toolbars are useless or these toolbars will somehow restrict the artistic genius in the PhotoShop user.

If pressing F could magically make all the open palettes disappear, it could also send the toolbar into oblivion. I don’t see what’s the big deal about it if it could provide some convenience to a newbie like me while giving an option to turn it off for pros like you.
Paul

BTW, I don’t feel Adobe has the palm for weird interface: Have you ever looked at a program called Bryce(I believe it’s sold by Corel now, but not sure)? Or what about Autodesk Combustion? Or Boris red for that matter… But you’re right, a piece of software is a product and as such, if it doesn’t accomplish what you need the way you want it to at a price you’re willing to pay, then that product isn’t good for you.

Martin.
T.H.Huxley
U
Uni
Aug 24, 2003
medez_p wrote:

Just downloaded the trial version of PS7. Have never tried before. What
I

can’t seem to find is there is no standard toolbar on the top that has undo/redo, open file, save file, new document, etc type of icons – the

usual

Ctrl-Z

me

I do have PhotoShop Element, but that still doesn’t make any sense for not having the standard toolbar in PS. If they could provide tons of floating boxes occupying every single pixel of the screen that can be turned on or off, a regular toolbar would not have exactly made this program "un-usable" for the PS "pros", IMHO.

Paul, I suggest, if you can’t swim, don’t get in the water.

🙂

Uni

Thanks anyway,

Paul

MP
medez_p
Aug 25, 2003
….and how does one learn to swim without getting into the water?

This discussion is a real eye-opener for me as far as PhotoShop users are concerned. Someone who has been in computer programming for well over 20 years and employed with one of the largest computer chip makers in the world, I am surprised at some of the responses I’ve got.

I never asked for people’s preferences or working habits. If you like to work in an uncluttered canvas, more power to you; maybe one day I’ll get there as well. All I asked was if there was a tool bar of standard, often-used commands. Instead, I got responses that essentially mean if I need a toolbar then I am not qualified to use PhotoShop, though no one has yet convinced me how an on/off toggle tool bar will stunt one’s creative ability or how it will render the entire program unusable.

Apparently Adobe is happy with its current group of users who wouldn’t dare to question PhotoShop’s interface or functionality. Instead, they will defend it, though without being attacked, like somehow their religion was threatened by an outsider.

Thanks to all and let’s put this matter to an end.

Paul

"Uni" wrote in message
medez_p wrote:

🙂

Uni
U
Uni
Aug 25, 2003
medez_p wrote:
…and how does one learn to swim without getting into the water?
This discussion is a real eye-opener for me as far as PhotoShop users are concerned. Someone who has been in computer programming for well over 20 years and employed with one of the largest computer chip makers in the world, I am surprised at some of the responses I’ve got.
I never asked for people’s preferences or working habits. If you like to work in an uncluttered canvas, more power to you; maybe one day I’ll get there as well. All I asked was if there was a tool bar of standard, often-used commands. Instead, I got responses that essentially mean if I need a toolbar then I am not qualified to use PhotoShop, though no one has yet convinced me how an on/off toggle tool bar will stunt one’s creative ability or how it will render the entire program unusable.
Apparently Adobe is happy with its current group of users who wouldn’t dare to question PhotoShop’s interface or functionality. Instead, they will defend it, though without being attacked, like somehow their religion was threatened by an outsider.

Thanks to all and let’s put this matter to an end.

Sounds like a plan.

🙂

Uni

Paul

"Uni" wrote in message

medez_p wrote:

🙂

Uni

W
Waldo
Aug 25, 2003
I hate toolbars, I never use them and they take space that can be used for, for example, the image I planned to edit. I use the shortcuts instead. That is quicker and in that case, the mouse does not need to travel a lot.

Waldo

Just downloaded the trial version of PS7. Have never tried before.
What
I
usual
Ctrl-Z
Is there any way to get these toolbars or it’s just not available in PhotoShop? A program this expensive and no standard tool bar is hard
for
me

I do have PhotoShop Element, but that still doesn’t make any sense for not having the standard toolbar in PS. If they could provide tons of floating boxes occupying every single pixel of the screen that can be turned on or off, a regular toolbar would not have exactly made this program
"un-usable"
for the PS "pros", IMHO.

Thanks anyway,

Paul

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections