Posted By
steve
Aug 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi group

Is there going to be a difference in the quality of a image if I scan it with computer 32bit or in computer 24bit?
Also can you guys give me some tips so I can produce batter quality images and in the same time they to be light in MB so to be fuster for downloading?
I’m using Photoshop 7

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
ben-dover
Aug 23, 2003
well to make photos batter you might need some flour and eggs lol. 3 eggs will make them fuster anough for what you want.
"steve" wrote in message
Hi group

Is there going to be a difference in the quality of a image if I scan it with computer 32bit or in computer 24bit?
Also can you guys give me some tips so I can produce batter quality images and in the same time they to be light in MB so to be fuster for downloading?
I’m using Photoshop 7

Thanks

R
Ren
Aug 23, 2003
Hi

What kind of a scanner do you use ?

If you scan paper pictures, with a flatbed scanner, you can only get about 300 dpi out of them, so don
S
steve
Aug 23, 2003
Hi

Lexmark x75
All in one
and I’m scaning a normal pictures to upload them on the internet.

If you scan paper pictures, with a flatbed scanner, you can only get
about
300 dpi out of them, so don
S
steve
Aug 23, 2003
well to make photos batter you might need some flour and eggs lol.
3 eggs
will make them fuster anough for what you want.
"steve" wrote in message
Hi group

Is there going to be a difference in the quality of a image if I
scan
it with computer 32bit or in computer 24bit?
Also can you guys give me some tips so I can produce batter
quality
images and in the same time they to be light in MB so to be
fuster for
downloading?
I’m using Photoshop 7

Thanks
Laughing my ass off but you forgot the icing for the cake….LOL DosBoss57

Imagine all the people living life in peace !

I did not gat this one
What is so funny about
U
Uni
Aug 23, 2003
steve wrote:
Hi group

Very soon, scanners, digital cameras, software etc. will all be 16 bit per channel, AKA 48 bit color.

Uni

I’m using Photoshop 7

Thanks

N
nomail
Aug 23, 2003
wrote:

"RenΓ© Ernst Nielsen" wrote:

If you scan negatives and slides with a filmscanner, you can get great results. One of the things you have to remember is to do a color and contrast adjustment of your preview before scanning, this will give you better results…

Yes, you can use a scanner’s software for tonal and color corrections for a scan. But you can also disable the scanner’s software and get a raw scan first. Then make the tonal and color corrections in Photoshop, which offers a much better array of tools than a scanner’s software.

This is only true if your scanner software can export to photoshop in the full color depth. In other words; if the scanner is more than 8 bits per color (it will be), the software must be able to export a raw file to Photoshop that is also more than 8 bits per color (Photoshop will import it in 16 bits per color). Then you can make your color and tonal corrections in Photoshop in 16 bits color. If this is not possible because the scanner software doesn’t support it, it’s better to make the color and tonal corrections in the scanner software. That way the corrections are made in the full color depth, while Photoshop would do it in 8 bits. Making tonal corrections in 8 bits is not a good idea if you can do it in 16 bits as well.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
S
steve
Aug 23, 2003
If you scan negatives and slides with a filmscanner, you can get
great
results. One of the things you have to remember is to do a color
and
contrast adjustment of your preview before scanning, this will
give you
better results…

Yes, you can use a scanner’s software for tonal and color
corrections
for a scan. But you can also disable the scanner’s software and
get a
raw scan first. Then make the tonal and color corrections in
Photoshop,
which offers a much better array of tools than a scanner’s
software.
This is only true if your scanner software can export to photoshop
in
the full color depth. In other words; if the scanner is more than 8
bits
per color (it will be), the software must be able to export a raw
file
to Photoshop that is also more than 8 bits per color (Photoshop will import it in 16 bits per color). Then you can make your color and
tonal
corrections in Photoshop in 16 bits color. If this is not possible because the scanner software doesn’t support it, it’s better to make
the
color and tonal corrections in the scanner software. That way the corrections are made in the full color depth, while Photoshop would
do
it in 8 bits. Making tonal corrections in 8 bits is not a good idea
if
you can do it in 16 bits as well.

Yes the software can export to Photoshop and even can make Photoshop the default software.
R
Ren
Aug 24, 2003

Lexmark x75
All in one
and I’m scaning a normal pictures to upload them on the >internet.

Hi Steve

I am sorry to say, that you can
N
nomail
Aug 24, 2003
steve wrote:

Yes the software can export to Photoshop and even can make Photoshop the default software.

Of course it can. But can it export IN 16 BITS per color? If it can, you can choose to do your color and tonal corrections in 16 bits in Photoshop, and then reduce the bit depth to 8 bits per color. If it can’t, make your color and tonal corrections in the scanner software.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
T
tooeasy
Aug 24, 2003
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote:
wrote:

"RenΓ© Ernst Nielsen" wrote:

If you scan negatives and slides with a filmscanner, you can get great results. One of the things you have to remember is to do a color and contrast adjustment of your preview before scanning, this will give you better results…

Yes, you can use a scanner’s software for tonal and color corrections for a scan. But you can also disable the scanner’s software and get a raw scan first. Then make the tonal and color corrections in Photoshop, which offers a much better array of tools than a scanner’s software.

This is only true if your scanner software can export to photoshop in the full color depth. In other words; if the scanner is more than 8 bits per color (it will be), the software must be able to export a raw file to Photoshop that is also more than 8 bits per color (Photoshop will import it in 16 bits per color). Then you can make your color and tonal corrections in Photoshop in 16 bits color. If this is not possible because the scanner software doesn’t support it, it’s better to make the color and tonal corrections in the scanner software. That way the corrections are made in the full color depth, while Photoshop would do it in 8 bits. Making tonal corrections in 8 bits is not a good idea if you can do it in 16 bits as well.

Point well taken.

Many books and tutorials advise to get a "best scan" possible from a scanner before editing it in Photoshop. Some even suggest to re-scan if a scan’s histogram does not look "good" in Photoshop. They fail to mention that smoothing out a scan’s histogram (or other tonal and color corrections) at a scanner is done by its software and not by its hardware. A "best scan" may very well be a raw scan, which may look ugly in Photoshop to begin with, but actually has the maximum image information preserved. Getting a good looking "best scan" from a scanner means some image information is lost due to the software manipulation, and you won’t know what and won’t be able to recover in Photoshop.
S
steve
Aug 24, 2003
Yes the software can export to Photoshop and even can make
Photoshop
the default software.

Of course it can. But can it export IN 16 BITS per color? If it can,
you
can choose to do your color and tonal corrections in 16 bits in Photoshop, and then reduce the bit depth to 8 bits per color. If it can’t, make your color and tonal corrections in the scanner
software.

How can I find out in how many bits it is exporting?
If I look in the settings I can only see Color depth 24 bits. I’m not sure what is this.
N
nomail
Aug 24, 2003
steve wrote:

Of course it can. But can it export IN 16 BITS per color? If it can, you can choose to do your color and tonal corrections in 16 bits in Photoshop, and then reduce the bit depth to 8 bits per color. If it can’t, make your color and tonal corrections in the scanner software.

If I look in the settings I can only see Color depth 24 bits. I’m not sure what is this.

That’s 8 bits per color.

S
steve
Aug 24, 2003
Of course it can. But can it export IN 16 BITS per color? If it
can,
you can choose to do your color and tonal corrections in 16 bits
in
Photoshop, and then reduce the bit depth to 8 bits per color. If
it
can’t, make your color and tonal corrections in the scanner
software.

That’s 8 bits per color.

I check your photo gallery http://www.johanfoto.nl/ and there must be something you do not tell us.
How do you produce such nice images and in the same time they are so small MB
Tell us the secret.
S
steve
Aug 24, 2003
I check your photo gallery http://www.johanfoto.nl/ and there must
be
something you do not tell us.
How do you produce such nice images and in the same time they are
so
small MB
Tell us the secret.

What do you mean? Making small images is not more difficult than
making
bigger ones.

I mean small in Mega Bites Not in physical size.

They are all produced in Photoshop, with JPEG compression between 8
and 10.

What is 8 / 10 jpeg compression?
N
nomail
Aug 24, 2003
steve wrote:

What do you mean? Making small images is not more difficult than making bigger ones.

I mean small in Mega Bites Not in physical size.

Small physical size automatically means small Mbytes as well. Next it’s just a question of choosing the right compression, so you get a small file without loosing to much quality.

They are all produced in Photoshop, with JPEG compression between 8 and 10.

What is 8 / 10 jpeg compression?

If you save a JPEG in Photoshop, you can set the compression between 1 and 12. 1 is the worst possible quality (but very small file size), 12 the best possible quality (but large file size). If you choose 8 to 10, you get good quality and still a reasonable compression (reasonable small file size).

S
steve
Aug 24, 2003
If you save a JPEG in Photoshop, you can set the compression between
and 12. 1 is the worst possible quality (but very small file size),
the best possible quality (but large file size). If you choose 8 to
you get good quality and still a reasonable compression (reasonable small file size).

But don’t you use the options "Save for web…"
N
nomail
Aug 24, 2003
steve wrote:

If you save a JPEG in Photoshop, you can set the compression between 1 and 12. 1 is the worst possible quality (but very small file size), 12 the best possible quality (but large file size). If you choose 8 to 10, you get good quality and still a reasonable compression (reasonable small file size).

Yes, you can do that as well. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. Save for the web doesn’t give you the 1-12 compression, but 0-100 in stead. It doesn’t really matter that much. If I use Save for the web, I use quality 70-80.

S
steve
Aug 24, 2003
If you save a JPEG in Photoshop, you can set the compression
between 1
and 12. 1 is the worst possible quality (but very small file
size), 12
the best possible quality (but large file size). If you choose 8
to
10, you get good quality and still a reasonable compression
(reasonable
small file size).

Yes, you can do that as well. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t.
Save
for the web doesn’t give you the 1-12 compression, but 0-100 in
stead.
It doesn’t really matter that much. If I use Save for the web, I use quality 70-80.

what ever I do my images do not look even close us nice us yours πŸ™ Can you maybe sagest a software that will scan the image in 16bits and export it to Photoshop in 16bits?
N
nomail
Aug 25, 2003
steve wrote:

what ever I do my images do not look even close us nice us yours πŸ™ Can you maybe sagest a software that will scan the image in 16bits and export it to Photoshop in 16bits?

I use a Nikon film scanner (Supercoolscan 8000). The Nikon software can export in 16 bits. Apparently VueScan works with a lot of scanners and is also capable of exporting in 16 bits.

MH
Mike Hide
Aug 25, 2003
Does viewscan work with later microtek flatbed scanners ???

mike hide

"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
steve wrote:

I use a Nikon film scanner (Supercoolscan 8000). The Nikon software can export in 16 bits. Apparently VueScan works with a lot of scanners and is also capable of exporting in 16 bits.

S
steve
Aug 25, 2003
what ever I do my images do not look even close us nice us yours
πŸ™
Can you maybe sagest a software that will scan the image in 16bits
and
export it to Photoshop in 16bits?

I use a Nikon film scanner (Supercoolscan 8000). The Nikon software
can
export in 16 bits. Apparently VueScan works with a lot of scanners
and
is also capable of exporting in 16 bits.

I try VueScan but just to find out that dos not support my scanner (Lexmark x75 all-in-one).
I also try searching google but with out any like.
Is it possible the scanner not to support exporting in 16 bits Any other suggestions.

Thanks
S
steve
Aug 25, 2003
Does viewscan work with later microtek flatbed scanners ???

You can check here http://hamrick.com/sup.html

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections