MP
Posted By
Matt_Pegues
Jul 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We produce a catalog with thousands of greyscale eps images. These were produced on OS X and Photoshop CS. The printer tells me when they try to open the images in Photoshop 7 (OS 9) that it wants to Parse the eps file and it turns it to CMYK. It is even currupting the file alot of the time.

Any Ideas?!?

Matt P

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Jul 27, 2004
Why is the printer opening the images?

I would look for a new printer if I were you.
B
Buko
Jul 27, 2004
I guess the other question is why are you using .eps files they are trouble waiting to happen. I would use .tif or PSD.
MP
Matt_Pegues
Jul 27, 2004
The images where color and not supposed to be. Also there rip (Scitex) was displaying corrupt images in the ripped file.
I have to use eps files right now till I can convince the programmers to make our data base management software handle tiff files.
Is there a web site that can show them the advatages of tiff over eps files? Like size of the file is a big one that could make us switch.
BC
Byron_Carroll
Jul 27, 2004
I have the same problem. I think it’s a bug with Photoshop 6. You should tell your coworkers to upgrade.
R
Ram
Jul 27, 2004
Byron,

There is a bug in Photoshop 6.x only which prevents some images cretaed in Photoshop 8 from opening properly in 6.x.

It’s in the FAQs.

Chris Cox "Some images saved in Photoshop CS will not open in Photoshop 6" 2/13/04 3:45pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 27, 2004
If you try to re-open EPS files which contain vector objects, they will be rasterized. This sounds as if it is what is happening in your case.

I would do three things:

Save your files as .PSDs;
Use InDesign for Page layout; and
Go to a different Printer.
B
Buko
Jul 27, 2004
When you open an eps file don’t you have a choice how it will raster?

mode.

Res

that sort of thing?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 28, 2004
A Photoshop EPS which is free of vector objects will open in Photoshop without any warning dialogs about rasterizing.

But an Illustrator EPS, a QXP page saved as an EPS, or a Photoshop EPS which contains type or vector objects, will prompt the rasterization dialog to appear—which gives you the chance to choose both the color space and the resolution that you want to apply to the file.
MP
Matt_Pegues
Jul 28, 2004
Yes thanks all. I am aware that files from other programs and vector included files will ask to be rasterized but these are just photos from CS turned to greyscale in CS. I am wondering if I found a bug between files produced in CS and opened in Phtoshop 7 or 6.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 28, 2004
It is probably Photoshop 6 that is causing the problem.

Chris Cox "Some images saved in Photoshop CS will not open in Photoshop 6" 2/13/04 3:45pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
B
Buko
Jul 28, 2004
I would never use an .eps for just an image file.

what is the point.

And again why is the printer opening the files if they were to contain vector elements it would raster them.

I get a new printer.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 28, 2004
I agree with Buko.

Back in the bad old Quark Ages, I used to use EPS for all CMYK images because QXP couldn’t "get at" them and muck them up with its apology for Color Management (like it could with tiffs).

Now we have InDesign and PDFs.

:~)
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 28, 2004
PDF’s, if created incorrectly, are just as bad, if not worse as incorrectly created layout files.

Correctly created PDF’s are great.

Who has time to do it right when you can do it twice.
KZ
Kathi_Zysk
Jul 31, 2004
I am working on sending to press a four color calendar/menu for school. The school sent everything in excel
the top half is on sheet 1 and covers aprox 35 cells across The bottom half is on sheet 2 and covers 5 cells across.

I have tried various ways to get this to a pdf file with everything joined together.

The biggest problem when I get it there is that the separations are wrong and there is a lot of pixalation which makes the finish product (negatives) fuzzy.

Any help on the steps to get a good copy would help a lot.

BTW 3 of the excel docs were not broken into sheets and I saved them as pdf’s and they printed great.

It the problem seems to be when I try to join the files in photo Shop and then re-saving them to pdf.

Thanks, in avance.
kathiz
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 31, 2004
Excel!

You are pretty much screwed.

You can try and export an EPS and bring it into Illustrator and pick up the pieces.
KZ
Kathi_Zysk
Jul 31, 2004
I can get it to a pdf file and it is clean.
problem 1 its in 2 and 3 pieces
problem 2 if I try to join them trash I use eps the first time

I have acrobat 5 but can not seem to find a way to merge 3 sheets of paper to make one.

I have photo shop but that messes up the files

I have tried saving as tiffs and then joining but I haven’t seen the results on the ripper and the negitives yet.

I will try illustrator
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 31, 2004
There is an illustrator plug-in called Concatenation which might help you join-up the disconnected bits from Excel.
< http://personalpages.tds.net/~graffix/software/plugins.html# concatenate>

I would also suggest that you consider upgrading to Acrobat 6 Pro if you are going to work with PDFs.
KZ
Kathi_Zysk
Jul 31, 2004
This is a one time job right now

pdf are the output needed for the ripper
it takes the pdf and seperates the 4 colors and creates the negitive for the plates.

If the excell work was on one sheet of the workbook then I would just drop into the pdf maker and be done.
(i did this with 2 of the documents)

but because it was on three sheets I am getting 3 pdfs
which I need to join to make one 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 31, 2004
Then Illustrator is your best bet.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections