PH
Posted By
Pam_Hartman
Jan 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just reloaded PSE2, after a registry problem with MS98. Now when I open a new photo to work on, the entire PSE and the photo have what looks like a Negative appearance, like a negative from print film..if that makes any sense. It is all purple, red and blue and does not show the photo correctly. It will print ok. PSE icons do the same thing. Help.

Also,would it be correct that the same photo printing from PSE is blurry and when I print it from Mircosoft photo editor it is clear as a bell. Using an Epson StylusPhoto 785EPX printer.

Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
Nancy_S
Jan 2, 2004
Pam,

Are you saying that you reinstalled the Operating System or that you only uninstalled PSE and reinstalled it?

The bluriness would indicate a resolution or resizing problem. The MS editor is probably taking care of the resizing itself, but you can input in PSE for desired size. Sounds like you’re using the wrong method/settings.

What is the source of these images? Look in Image>Resize and tell us what the dimensions and resolution of one blurry image is and what size you are printing it out at.

edit—sounds like you need to check out your diplay settings and video drivers
PH
Pam_Hartman
Jan 2, 2004
Nancy, I lost the registy on my computer and had to reinstall all the software, including MS 98. This is the 2nd time I have had the -negative- problem in PSE, it happened as well when I first intalled it 2 yrs ago. I called Adobe then and it was a simple fix, and I can not remember what I did to fix it.
I just reprinted it thinking that I had the wrong settings and it is still blurry, so perhaps I do not know how to change the resolution…can you help with that as well.
Source of the image is a CF card. The original image was something like 22 x 15 and I resized it to 4 x 6. It is a picture of our house in a snow storm with our dog in the driveway. The house is blurry…
when I opened -recent- and print that photo again, I am doing this with the -print- option. I clicked on -custom- the under -advanced- clicked on -photo enhanced- it immediately turned the photoshop icons pink and purple and that negative tone again. I can’t see the photo clearly as it is negative now…but it prints.
I usually go into images resize and make the photo as close to 4 x 6 as I can and print. I must be missing something on that too. Thanks for your help. Pam
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 2, 2004
If it prints correct colors , but on screen has weird colors, you need to calibrate and profile your display ( Adobe Gamma in Control Panel ). That’s probably the fix that Adobe gave you long ago <G> . Every image displayed in Elements is "filtered" through the monitor profile created by the Adobe Gamma utility. If it’s a bad profile, then you see weird stuff, but the color is fine in other applications ( non color managed apps ) .

Tutorial on Adobe Gamma calibration at <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm> .

🙂

Brent
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 3, 2004
Pam,

EDIT—-my suggestion after you calibrate your monitor

Using your dimensions of 22×15" at 72 resolution from memory card, to resize to 4×6…

* make a duplicate of your image and close the original
* have the Layers Palette permanently visible on right side of workarea * double click the ‘background’ layer and accept offer to rename it Layer 0 * edit image as desired
* might be a good idea to save at this point
* with image still open…
* Go to Image Resize from Image on menu
* With Resample UNCHECKED, change only one variable, change the long side to 6" and let the other variables fill in
* image now 6 x 4.09" at 264 resolution
* Ok that
* when your dimensions are a little more than desired:
* get the rectangular marquee
* under Style, change to Fixed
* type in 4 and 6 appropriately
* click on image, with cursor inside selection lines you can drag box around to include the portion which will comprise the image
* Image>Crop
* File>Save As>assign a name different than the original

With my Epson this is how I print (I use Edit>Settings>No Color Mgmt) * File>Print

In Print Screen
* Source = Doc. Untagged RGB
* Print Space = Printer Color Management
* click on Setup

On Page Setup Screen
* click on Properties

On Properties Screen
Main Tab set to;
* media type>choose your printing paper
* mode>click radio button for Custom
* click Advanced

On Advanced Screen
* print quality> photo 720 or photo 1440
* color mgnt>Color Controls
* Gamma>1.8
* UNcheck High Speed

I get very good results with this scheme. My monitor is calibrated with the Adobe Gamma Utility and the profile it created is loaded

Nancy
PH
Pam_Hartman
Jan 3, 2004
Nancy and Brett, Thanks so much for the tips, I really appreciate it, I will tackle these tomorrow! Pam
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 3, 2004
Pam,
Perhaps it didn’t get installed ? That happens, we know . Use the Search function to find the file Adobe Gamma.cpl . It should be on your C: drive. It is normally a Control Panel Applet, but can be run by "Right Clicking" and selecting "Open with control panel" , or somesuch thing. Using Adobe Gamma will do two things, calibrate your display to a known condition, and create an accurate monitor profile for use in color managed applications.

After you’ve finished with the Adobe Gamma utility, check to make sure that there is a shortcut to Adobe Gamma Loader.exe , in your startup folder. The loader file adjusts your display every time Windows starts, to the "profiled" condition . If the file is not in the startup group, then you’ll have to search it out, also, and drag it over there.

Lots of luck,
🙂

Brent
PH
Pam_Hartman
Jan 4, 2004
Brett. I had to uninstall and reinstall PSE to find the Adobe Gamma and hav esuccessfully calibrated the monitor. Just went into PSE to work on a photo and when I go to print like before it changes the photo to the negative again and the icons are again pink or purple and reflect the negative image as well. As soon as I am finished printing it does go back to normal. Quite the nasty little problemo.

Nancy, you tips for printing are great, I was able to use your suggestions with great success.

Still have that negative tones when I am printing the photos.

Do either of you know what might be causing the printer to print the photo with a small border on three sides and at the top of the photo it prints flush with the paper.

Thank for your help. pam
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 4, 2004
Pam,

Most printers have a "no-print" area about 1/4" wide on all sides of the paper, but what size is your paper and what size is you image supposed to print out at? What make/model of printer? Can find details under Image>Resize. Can check orientation of image on paper by viewing Page Preview.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 4, 2004
Pam,
The Epson driver has a "paper" tab, and you can check a "centered" box, as well as a "maximum size" box . Sometimes, this is about the best you can do.

Your video behavior seems quite strange. Makes me wonder about the "get the latest video drivers" sermon that we occasionally give ( usually when we can’t think of anything else <G> ).

🙂

Brent

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections