Can all the duo-tone looks be achieved with Hue/Sat?

LH
Posted By
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The "looks" you get going using duo-tones, can most of those be achieved with a hue/sat layer? Any advantages to using duo-tones, if you are printing to ink jet/ and web output, and just want the cool looks. thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Oct 19, 2005
for web and inkjet they are fine…for commercial offset printing they will cost you double…(four plates/inks instead of two)
I
ID._Awe
Oct 19, 2005
Linda: Create the duo-tone look that you like, then convert the image to RGB. Will simply do what you expect.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 19, 2005
This is also a very nice (controllable) technique.

<http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/PhotoTonerSM.mov>

You can download the action and try it out.

<http://www.russellbrown.com/images/tips_downloads/Russell‘s_Action_Set.atn.zip>
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 20, 2005
thanks for good info. Don’t know if anyone answered the question.
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 20, 2005
Yes great technique by Russell Brown — again, as with original question, is it any better than using hue/sat and tweaking there. thanks!
L
LenHewitt
Oct 20, 2005
Linda,

You will have more control in the duotone dialog box than with Hue/Sat adjustments since you can manipulate the mix of colour at each level.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 20, 2005
I think Christine told you the answer in post #1.

If you are not sending work to a print shop the main factor is personal preference. I happen to like duotones or the Russell Brown technique because they give a "richer" result. A blanket change across all channels is going to give a flatter result subjectively.

Once you’ve got Dr Brown in your Actions Palette you’ll never look back!
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 20, 2005
As Len points out, they are not the same. With duotones, you control the curve for each color, somthing not possible within Hue/Saturation (although I sometimes like to manipulate a Hue/Sat adjustment layer with Advanced Layer Blending).

Mathias
D
deebs
Oct 20, 2005
🙂

Russell in the Actions pallet?

Isn’t this taking -007 too far?

🙂
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 21, 2005
Ah, now I get it! thanks
D
deebs
Oct 21, 2005
It would be a nice title for one of the next conflabs IMHO

"Russell in tha Actions pallet!"

No disrespect at all Russell! In fact tonnes of kudos and compliments – your tutorials are great!

Having seen some of the 007 stuff mayybe it would be a cool tutorial title?

Get CC to bag tohgether a nice Action script, Russell to present it?
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 24, 2005
Ok, just downloaded the russel brown action, and it gives you a great brown color, but can that color be adjusted for another? thanks.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 24, 2005
You should have got a dialog saying you can adjust Layer 1 with a Hue/Sat adjustment layer. You can also just fill it with a colour of your choice.
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 25, 2005
I remember seeing that, but did not understand what it meant. I was expecting that if I click on the brown square a color picker would come up to adjust that color, no? or is that what you are saying? please expand, thanks!
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 25, 2005
It means what it says: you can click on the Layer and apply a Hue/Sat adjustment layer by any of the usual methods. Or, as I said, fill it with a colour of your choice, although this is a bit hit or miss.
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 26, 2005
Got it Josh. Just thought that was bit weird in adding another hue/sat layer, in that, I could do that without the Russell B. techinique!

Still don’t get what "it" is I can fill with.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 26, 2005
If you don’t use the Russell Brown technique the result is not the same.

Still don’t get what "it" is I can fill with.

"It" is the "Layer 1" that the action has created.

Select a foreground colour by clicking on a swatch or using the sliders or click on the foreground patch in the toolbox and use the Color Picker.

Select Layer 1.

Hit Alt + Enter. (This is the shortcut for filling with the foreground colour.)

Done!
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 27, 2005
thanks again!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections