JD
Posted By
John_Dikmen
Jul 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using PhotoshopCS on Mac OS 10.3.4 on Dual 2-Gig G5, 2,5 Gigs of Ram, two internal SATA drives (a 160 gig and a 250 gig). I am partitioned as follows:

160 GIG DRIVE:
SWAP PARTITION (for system) – 6-gig
SYSTEM and APPLICATIONS (including CS) – balance of drive 250 GIG DRIVE:
Divided equally into two scratch partitions (Scratch 1 and Scratch 2)

I have Photoshop configured to use Scratch 1 as primary scratch disk and Scratch 2 as secondary scratch disk. (I also have IllustratorCS set up to use the same scratch disks in the same order).

The questions are:
1. Can anyone see a problem with this configuration that might cause problems?
2. Does it create a problem for IluustratorCS and PhotoshopCS to use the same scratch disks at the same time?

My performance is generally very good with this config, but I keep having trouble saving files from PhotoshopCS. Everything will work fine for maybe several hours (including saving files) and then all of a sudden when I go to save a file to the desktop the spinning ball comes up and I have to force quit PhotoshopCS. It also takes a long time to force-quit – sometimes over two minutes before the dock icon releases where I can relaunch. Once I relaunch it usually works fine again for some time, but this happeens two or three times a day and I have to eventually force-quit each time. This also happens when IllustratorCS is not open so I don’t think that is the problem, but still curious if sharing scratch disks is recommended. Also when the freeze occurs saving a file to the desktop, upon relaunch the file that was being saved at the time is always saved successfully (of course I lose all my open document changes).

Any Ideas?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Jul 25, 2004
Can anyone see a problem with this configuration that might cause problems?

do not have the swap on its own partition leave it on the system drive where the original install puts it.

2 125 gig scratch partitions seems excessive.
JD
John_Dikmen
Jul 25, 2004
Buko,

According to everything I have read and heard on TV Tech shows (including instructions in the latest version of Xupport utility), it is recommended to have a separate dedicated SWAP partition as the first partition on the hard disk.

Here is a copy of the Help File text from Xupport for example: "In Mac OS X the virtual memory information are stored in the so called "Swapfiles". Because the swapfiles are the most interactive system files, it makes sense to put them on the physically fastest place on your hard disk. So it is recommended to have the swap file on the first partition of your fastest internal hard disk."

"Step 1: Re-partition your hard disk with a 1.5 GB volume as FIRST partition. The recommended name for the 1.5 GB partition is "swap". Step2: Restore your system data or install new system on the second partition. Step 3:Boot from the operating system on the second partition."
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
Separate partitions will do NOTHING for you because you still have only a single read/write head on each Drive.

However, your second internal DRIVE will make a lot of difference.
B
Buko
Jul 25, 2004
John I’ve messed around with SWAP partitions from the begining of OSX and have come to the conclusion that it is best to have the SWAP files where the system installs them. 1.5 gig is way too small and once you fill up your SWAP partition things get goofy fast because there is no place to go.

If you are going to have a SWAP partition you need it on a separate drive than the system that is also separate from the Photoshop scratch drive.

With Panther a separate SWAP partition does not gain you much, as it did with OSX version 10.0.0
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2004
John,

What Buko and Ann say is true.

The only thing you may gain with a partition on the same drive would be less fragmentation of the remaining stuff on the drive. But for this purpose I doubt such a puny 1.5GB volume is going to make that much difference.
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2004
Buko posted while I was still typing. : – )
JD
John_Dikmen
Jul 26, 2004
Thanks for all your feedback, I will ditch the separate Swap partition and see if things improve.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections