Posted By
albert_dean
Jul 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Any art school students out there?
I want to get the kind of edgie splat that you see around on shows like Comedy Channel.
It has long organic tendrils going out from all sides – star-like. This was obviously done with India Ink flicked with brush. I’ve been experimenting by flicking water with my hand, but only get roundish splats with tiny radials.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 24, 2004
Make a brush.

Define it as a brush.

Save a brush.
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2004
Get real ink, some drinking straws and smaller, hollow coffee stirrers some and poster- or watercolor-board.

Use the ink bottle’s pipette to drop some splats from varying heights, onto the board, held at various angles.

Use the straw and stirrer to blow the ink across the board.

Find something you like? Let it dry, then scan it.

It’s fun…try it, and it’s how I’d do it.
AD
albert_dean
Aug 2, 2004
Phosphor –
The straw idea sounds like the best iyet.

The only semi success I’d had was using a paper plate because it isn’t absorbant, placing a little drop down, and pulling out little strands of liquid, then turning the plate around at angles.

Many had suggested a drop from a high place. That produced a large blob but small radials. Angular splatters only got a radial on one side.

I’d wanted a really gothic, spidery totally natural look.

We’ll keep at it.
J
jonf
Aug 3, 2004
I’ve used Phosphor’s method, but used an empty airbrush (i.e., no ink in the reservoir) with very low air pressure to spread the ink blob (India ink on hot press illustration board). Make large ink blobs and reduce them after scanning. You can get some pretty good control and nice effects. I expect the low-tech method of the straw works, too, but if you have an airbrush sitting around I find it gives me a better sense of control over the "painting" of the ink strands.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 3, 2004
Remember the Photoshop 3.0 filters ‘punk’ and ‘bloat?’ They almost could have had one called ‘splat.’
SC
Sean_Clark
Aug 4, 2004
Back on the Exchange a contributor named Timo Mann did at least 3 series of splat brushes, listed as Tymoes Splat. Download and enjoy!
J
jonf
Aug 4, 2004
Actually, if you have the EyeCandy filters you can play with the Jiggle filter to get something pretty close to an ink splat. But actually creating a real splat would look better.

Illustrator also has a basic splat brush (I think 9.0 and up), if you want to expand the art and import into Photoshop.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Aug 5, 2004
<cough>Painter</cough>
JY
Jack_Youngblood
Aug 20, 2004
Illustrator has some ink splats in its collection of brushes. After that add a bit of random white and run plastic wrap on them. to make ’em 3d.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections