VM
Posted By
Vera_Milosavich
Jul 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a set of VERY SIMILAR Photoshop files I’m working with. Really, the only difference between them should be the artwork and NONE of the settings. But some of these files have a # symbol in the document title bar (right after the bit depth number, which happens to be 8 in my files) while others don’t. I can’t seem to find any other differences between them until I import them into another program. At that time the image dimensions APPEAR to be different on the ones with the # symbol.

Can someone please tell me what the # symbol denotes so I can try to correct the problem — assuming that’s the cause.

Thank you!

Vera

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
Vera,

You’ll typically find the #-sign right after RGB, and it usually means "no profile embedded" (not color managed). Other files will say something like, RGB8 [without the #-sign], RGB16, RGB(Adobe 1989) or sRGB, for instance. I seriously doubt that has anything to do with image dimensions.

Try a simple test: duplicate one of those images and assign a profile (your working space). I bet the #-sign disappears.
VM
Vera_Milosavich
Jul 24, 2004
Thank you so much for your very quick reply. Unfortunately this means I’m back to square one with trying to figure out the image dimension discrepancy unless the test you suggest also corrects that somehow. Maybe something like pixel aspect ratio is also contained in profiles? Well, I will know tomorrow when I’m able to test the file.

Thanks again for the answer,

Vera
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
Maybe something like pixel aspect ratio (or something similar) is also contained in profiles.

Absolutely not.

My files read "…RGB/8#"

Yes; that’s what I see here in untagged files too. When I wrote "you’ll typically find the #-sign right after RGB," I neglected to type the slash and the 8 after RGB.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 24, 2004
In what way are the image dimensions different and in what program?
VM
Vera_Milosavich
Jul 24, 2004
I’m working with a couple other people on an animation so I don’t know all the details — I’m just doing the coloring in PS.

The dry run of the animation that I saw was pencil art scanned & saved as PSDs and then imported into FinalCut. This is where we found that a series of frames suddenly had a black border (empty space) around them — they were smaller than the others images. This seemed to be happening at the point where I first noticed the # symbol in the names.

I might be mistaken about this, but I believe I also some frames where the space was only at the two side edges.

Vera
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 24, 2004
Those images have maybe been accidantally affected by an action: they were opened, their profile changed, and their physical dimansions as well…
or they were open in two different raw converters that applied different profiles, and different output sizes…
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
Vera,

It’s obvious your files come from different sources. The untagged files (in which you see the #) were most likely created with different dimensions. Whoever created them could have picked a different canvas size, or, if that person was aiming for a specific image size, they may have picked a different resolution in terms of ppi, which of course would result in different pixel dimensions (width x height). Any of these factors would cause what you are seeing.
VM
Vera_Milosavich
Jul 25, 2004
All of the Photoshop files have already been checked for size — it was the first thing we checked. They all have the same ppi and image dimensions and were produced by the same individual. This also makes the profile inconsistency very strange.

Vera

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections