PG
Posted By
Paul G Elson
Jul 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What are the advantages/differences between repairing permissions with Apple’s Disk Utility v. Cocktail?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
Cocktail does a lot more than just repair permissions. Download it and read the documentation; you don’t have to pay for that.

If your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail can do it as well. It also Prebinds the System, Clear Caches, etc.
PG
Paul G Elson
Jul 24, 2004
Ramón,

I noticed in one of your recent responses you suggested using Apple’s Disk Utility—just because he might not have had Cocktail, or is there something different about a system upgrade?
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
Paul,

Sorry, I don’t quite follow you. Those are two distinct and separate utilities; each one has its own functions. I certainly use them both –all the time.

Apple’s Disk Utility lets you format and repair a disk (Repair Disk is a different function than Repair Permissions, you have to boot from the CD or a different volume) among other things. Cocktail doesn’t do that.

On the other hand, Cocktails lets you do all those other things I mentioned:

Cocktail does a lot more than just repair permissions. Download it and read the documentation; you don’t have to pay for that.

If your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, Cocktail can do it as well. It also Prebinds the System, Clear Caches, etc.
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
If I’m just going to Repair Permissions, then I certainly use Apple’s Disk Utility.
PG
Paul G Elson
Jul 24, 2004
Ramón,
In the topic "Help, PS/CS Crashing…" you suggested, "Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer."

So again—let’s say he has Cocktail, is there a reason to not use it if upgrading the system, or in any other scenario that call for repairing permissions(like installing software that requires an installer)?

I have Cocktail and understand its other functions; I was just curious why you specified using Disk Utility to repair permissions.
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
Paul,

Again: If I’m just going to Repair Permissions, then I certainly use Apple’s Disk Utility.

let’s say he has Cocktail, is there a reason to not use it if upgrading the system, or in any other scenario that call for repairing permissions(like installing software that requires an installer)?

If you keep your software up to date, Apple’s Disk Utility is more likely to be updated by Apple when there are changes to the way permissions are handled by the OS faster than a new version of Cocktail is released.

Apple’s Disk Utility is free from Apple, so there is no incentive not to use it. That way I can leave all the other options in the "Pilot" tab untouched in Cocktail and only run it when I want to use all its functions.

Apple’s Disk Utility lets me see other things while it’s repairing permissions. Just launching Apple’s Disk Utility and noticing that the order in which my drives appear on the sidebar pane has changed lets me know for sure that the permissions need to be repaired. Experience has taught me that such a sudden reordering means trouble. Apple’s Disk Utility also tells you what has been repaired when it’s done.

Other than that, sure, you can use Cocktail to repair permissions if you want.
PG
Paul G Elson
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks for the clarification, Ramón.
R
Ram
Jul 24, 2004
You’re welcome, Paul. Sorry to have confused you earlier.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections